Page 1 of 1

Help save my photo shoot?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm
by jriley
I shot a large pano (344 images). Things look very strange on import into Autopano. After consultation on the other forum with Alexandre Jenny, he showed me that it appears that I failed to set the "HOME" location in Papywizard. Because of the position of the head when turned on, the pitch of all of the images is very close to the nadir, so they all appear to be basically stacked on top of one another.

I am looking for a way to rescue this without having to actually go into the xml file and edit every single pitch value by hand. Anyone have a good idea to help me?

The thread with pictures, files, etc., is at http://www.kolor.com/forum/t13842-import-wizard-failure

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm
by klausesser
jriley wrote:I shot a large pano (344 images). Things look very strange on import into Autopano. After consultation on the other forum with Alexandre Jenny, he showed me that it appears that I failed to set the "HOME" location in Papywizard. Because of the position of the head when turned on, the pitch of all of the images is very close to the nadir, so they all appear to be basically stacked on top of one another.

I am looking for a way to rescue this without having to actually go into the xml file and edit every single pitch value by hand. Anyone have a good idea to help me?

The thread with pictures, files, etc., is at http://www.kolor.com/forum/t13842-import-wizard-failure

John

Hey John!

Which head and which controller are you talking about? Guess it is PapyWizard on a Nokia? Here you have to manually set a home-position - you can´t do it afterwards . . . but maybe by simulating the moves it could work . . give it a try :cool:

(sorry - i didn´t read the other post!)


best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:01 pm
by jriley
It was the standard Skywatcher Multi-Function Mount (same as Merlin), controlled by a MacBook Pro using Papywizard. I had hoped there was some way to import the previously run file as a preset and then shift the home; or, maybe someone knew an easy way to automate editing the XML. It sounds like you are saying it isn't really possible to do that, I guess. The only thing with running a simulation is that it won't be the exact same positions as where the head actually went, but I guess it would be close enough.

One thing that I found to be very, very odd was this: I imported the pics and xml with Autopano, setting up for it NOT to optimize; after importing, the angular positions of the images are very definitely not the same as what was in the XML!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 pm
by mediavets
jriley wrote:The only thing with running a simulation is that it won't be the exact same positions as where the head actually went, but I guess it would be close enough.

I think it might work - got to be worth a try.

Good thinking Klaus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 am
by jriley
A followup: In the end, after advice Papywizard crowd, I ran a simulation in Papywizard with the same number of rows and columns and it looks pretty good. I haven't optimized yet and it looks like the attached image. I am just glad to avoid editing every one of the 344 pitch values in the XML! :P

Thanks for the advice guys! It has gotten me into a tenable position where I should be able to get this pano wrapped up.