Everything you need to motorize your head
vertrider

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

papywizard on iOS5, Android?

by vertrider » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi there,

recently been to Chile on assignment for a project with ESO at Paranal (2600 a.S.l. m) and ALMA (5000 m a.S.l), lurking around a MacbookPro w/Papywizard and the Merlin with ursa minor bluetooth interface. Great combo to do Allsky starry sky images. The Merlin was often also in TL use controlled by a dynamic perception MX2 dolly engine. So far all went well except the following situation:
- not recommended to use HDD above 3000 m Sea level (because of the weaking bernoulli effect and possible HDD crash)

So aside that fact, that next time I will use a Macbook Air with SSD for above 3000 m, I was wondering if the future sees a
- Android and iOS5 version of Papywizard?

Any news on that? I'd be willing to spend some bucks on a Papywizard app, and am sure others would do too.

In times of iPhone and iPad which already have great apps for remote controlling Nikon or Canon cameras, it just makes no sense anymore to use a Notebook or whatever to run Papywizard.

Cheers and props to the PW crew for the great work they have done so far!
Chris

PS: just a little meteor footage from Chile here ;) http://vimeo.com/31821295
Merlin GoTo w PapyWizard / BT Module (TA) / Touch Control Panel / DP MX2 Dolly Engine, AstroTrac TT320X-AG, Dynamic Perception Stage Zero, Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, Nikkor AF 16/2.8 Fisheye D, Nikkor AFS 14-24/2.8, AFS 24-70/2.8, AFS 80-200/2.8 D ED, AF 50/1.8, AF Micro Nikkor 60/2.8, TC2-EIII, iMac 27" i7, MBP 17" i7, Parallels WinXP, several RAIDs and NAS, cat, dog & fish :)

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Beautifull work Chris !!! :)

I agree also with you that "we should port Papywizard on Android and/or IOS.
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:14 am

Again, the way the applications are licensed for iOS is not compatible with Papywizard license.

And as none of the language/libs used by Papywizard are available on this OS, it will require to rebuild it from scratch.
Frédéric

no avatar
trelobyte

Info

by trelobyte » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Great Timelapse !!!! I was wondering can papywizard be compresed in a single python script in order for a single preset to run from python terminal and connect over bluetooth ? without the need of PyQt and all the other libraries ?
For example i have jailbreaked iphone on which i have installed a bluetooth bundle that makes the bluetooth functions a bit less restricted and also python version 2.5.1 and a proper terminal, i was thinking maybe i could connect to a merlin and take a few panos. i have no idea if the bluetooth functions of the striped down python version for the iphone, would allow for connections...but...maybe its easier to rewrite it from scratch...as its creator says..:)

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:49 am

You mean a version of Papywizard without GUI? Well, it could work, but needs some work to implement...

If you can make some tests, we can dig this idea. The first thing is to check if the bluetooth stack is compatible with python bluetooth module. Could you test that? Try to install pybluez, and try to import 'bluetooth' module from you python console...
Frédéric

no avatar
trelobyte

Info

by trelobyte » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Yeap that is what i meant:) I copied the pybluez library via ssh on the iphone and try to run the install by "python setup.py install" but i get "error: could not create 'build' permision denied..i tried sudo as well but the terminal does not like it either...i will try to contact the developer of the pybluez in mit if he has any ideas about placing it on the iphone...
Last edited by trelobyte on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
trelobyte

Info

by trelobyte » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:31 am

i tried something different now ...i had installed a different package for python in the past named pyserial which installed without throughing any errors on the mac and i tried to install it on the iPhone as well by coping the necessary files in the site-packages directory in the python directory. It installed fine !
so i also tried putting in the same directory the bluetooth files but when trying to import from the python console i get this error : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2155423/import_failure_bluetooth.jpg
which means that most probably it is me doing something wrong and not the iPhone python version...right ?