Everything you need to motorize your head
marianne

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Aerial Photography with mast and Nadir

by marianne » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:07 am

Hello,

I am looking to get an aerial set- up ( motorised head and mast) . I am curious to know- how do you shoot the nadir with the mast in the way. or you you take a shot of the nadir down on the ground without the mast and photoshop it in?

hmmm

no avatar
krtekcz2000

Info

by krtekcz2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Good qustion and I am sorry that I haven't complete answer.

The mast is visible and the foot print from the Orion head is quite large.
Here an example:

detail:

It is quite difficult to clone out whole center in Phtoshop. I usually clone out the guide ropes (not done on this example yet). I am thinking of modifying the head to reduce the foot print, but for now I just leave as it is. It doesn't matter for unwrapped prints and that is my main target.

Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I think you need to do this mechanicly. Somewhere in the last meter of the mast you need a kind of joint that can do 90 degrees. Then you can take your nadir shot beside the pole.
An alternatieve might be a mirror that you flip up in front of the camera for that last shot.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 am

mount a gopro cam on your merlin. you can place it in the "shaddow" of the head, where your cam cant see it... on the side where plugs are located.
with this your cam is turning with the merlin... and you get additional images to work with for a smaller nadir. you can set the gopro to shoot every 15 sec or so one image or your can set it to shoot full hd video (4 hours on a 16gb SD card). it has a water proof chasis...
of corse this will also not get a free nadir, the mast basis is still in line of sight... but its easier to photoshot this later... and the price for the gopro is not so high...

http://www.camforpro.com/

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

marianne

Topic author
Info

by marianne » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:34 am

That Foot Print is HUGE!! Like 6 cars huge. I'm thinking about shooting a ground pano after the mast pano with a Nodal Ninja , stitching that and then warping it in Photoshop. Hmmm I think the perspectives will be a little out but you got me thinking.

Thanks team

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 am

Just thinking whether this can be solved by having a kind of crane arm on top of the pole. As with a crane there is a counterweigh to balance the weight of the camera and the automatic head. By rotating the crane arm you can make a full panorama every 90 degrees of rotation. Then in autopano you can put all images into one group and generate the resulting panorama.

Now if only i would have a crane to test this.......
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.