Strange system behavior  

Everything you need to motorize your head
User avatar
surami
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 30
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Info

Strange system behavior

by surami » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm using/controlling Merlin head with Windows 7 64 bit + Papywizard 2.1.21 + Ursaminor Bluetooth interface.

I did some test shoot-circles (without DSLR, but with trigger cable, because I need rail and plate too to set NPP. So only headmove, preset: 6@0 + Z + N) and I got only one or two succesfull circles from start to the end spots.

Different examples for behavior:
1: The head stopped working between to horizontal spots, the BT interface light was continous, PW was frozen.
2: The vertical motor of the head was moving from Zenith to Nadir, so between the two spots the motor got slower and slower and gave unusual high-pitched voice, I have to turn it of manualy, PW was frozen after swith OFF.

Strange, because when I move the head with Goto function, the head, the PW and the BT works very well without strange behaviors.

I don't know where is the bug in the system...
Last edited by surami on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surami

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Can you move the head using the arrow icons on both axes without any problem?

The other thing that can sometimes affect positioning is if light leaks through the base of the bubble level and affects the optical encoders.

Check that the base of the bubble level (inside the battery compartment) is opaque. If not cover it with some opaque tape or paint.

Are you isng internal battries or an external power source?

If internal batteries, what type? AA NiMH rechargable or the Panogear Li-Ion battery conversion.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
surami
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 30
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Info

by surami » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:10 pm

mediavets wrote:Can you move the head using the arrow icons on both axes without any problem?

No.

mediavets wrote:The other thing that can sometimes affect positioning is if light leaks through the base of the bubble level and affects the optical encoders.
Check that the base of the bubble level (inside the battery compartment) is opaque. If not cover it with some opaque tape or paint.

The base of the bubble level is opaque, but I just covered the whole bubble level and possible leaks outside with some black textile.

mediavets wrote:Are you isng internal battries or an external power source?

I'm using external 12V power source (network + 12V adapter) at the hole OUT (as manual said, I have to connect their).
surami

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

surami wrote:
mediavets wrote:Can you move the head using the arrow icons on both axes without any problem?

No.

So what happens when you use the arrow icons to move the head.

Do you get movement on the Yaw axis?

Do you get movement on the Pitch axis?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 pm

surami wrote:
mediavets wrote:Are you isng internal battries or an external power source?

I'm using external 12V power source (network + 12V adapter) at the hole OUT (as manual said, I have to connect their).

It may make no difference but I always connect my external 12V battery pack to the IN socket.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
surami
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 30
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Info

by surami » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 am

mediavets wrote:So what happens when you use the arrow icons to move the head.
Do you get movement on the Yaw axis?
Do you get movement on the Pitch axis?

I don't get any movements on both axis.

mediavets wrote:It may make no difference but I always connect my external 12V battery pack to the IN socket.

I thought too, that I have to connect the power to IN socket, but I read in manual that I should connect to OUT... I didn't find logic in this.
surami

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Have a look to the logs to see if there are strange things...
Frédéric

User avatar
surami
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 30
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Info

by surami » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am

fma38 wrote:Have a look to the logs to see if there are strange things...

Which line do we need?

ps: sorry for the lately answer, I on holiday.
surami

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Look for warnings or errors...
Frédéric

User avatar
surami
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 30
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Info

by surami » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 pm

fma38 wrote:Look for warnings or errors...

I couldn't look into the log after the head stopped, the problem "killed" the Papywizard too.

But... I was in the shop today, where I bought the head and it seems the Merlin was the bad thing in the system, so I got another one and it works now. :)
surami


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron