I am think of buying a new pano Head  

Everything you need to motorize your head
asafmordechai

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

I am think of buying a new pano Head

by asafmordechai » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

does any one now / work / seen this head ?
http://www.dr-clauss.de/News_EN.htm

I need something that will work fast in Hugh panorama and my gigapan doesn't fast ...

I need to do a 360 spear during a football game so I have 100 min.

I did a test and with the gigapan it will take 3Hrs.

I will use Canon 60D and 70-200 MM 2.8
I will put the lens in 150 MM~
Last edited by asafmordechai on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

asafmordechai

Topic author
Info

by asafmordechai » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:16 am

I will look in to it.
Last edited by asafmordechai on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm

asafmordechai wrote:does any one now / work / seen this head ?
http://www.dr-clauss.de/News_EN.htm

I need something that will work fast in Hugh panorama and my gigapan doesn't fast ...

I need to do a 360 spear during a football game so I have 100 min.

I did a test and with the gigapan it will take 3Hrs.

I will use Canon 60D and 70-200 MM 2.8
I will put the lens in 150 MM~

My advice: 1) use a fullframe - a 5D2 for example - you have much fewer shots but higher resolution. 2) alternatively you can use two cameras mounted on one head with identical lenses - here you save 50% of time.
Related to the costs of a Rodeon or a VR2 - around 3500 - 4500.-€ and more (depends) - it´s a question what you really need and how you will work in the future.
There are informations about a quick-mode, in which the head ist moving constantly and is able to shoot a full sphere in a very short time - but don´t forget you need a VERY short shutter speed around at least 1/500 and better 1/1500 sec. when you use a tele-lens.

So in the end it´s a question of cost-/usability relation.

I worked with Dr. Clauss heads and with Seitz heads. Both are very good and very well elaborated, fast and stable, good software.

If you can wait for two to three months: Josef´s head will be out in September - it´s fast, strong has some fine extras and is controlled by the T&C handheld (PapyWizard will also be enabled). I´m testing it for some weeks now and it´s really great! The price isn´t finally calculated - it will be around 1600 - 2000.-€ i guess. As soon as the first pre-serial model is finished (i test with the prototype which is raw alloy and doesn´t look really stylish . . :cool:) we will do a booklet.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

asafmordechai

Topic author
Info

by asafmordechai » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

1st time i heard of "two cameras mounted on one head" how does it work ?
2ed if i use 60D i get crop factor so lens will be 330MM so "closer to the crowd".

on a different subject i do i solve the problem of Head not taking shot were no object to make focus on --> sky / grass etc.
i need to take the panorama with focus or should i take it at F22 and manual focus for the inter project ?

the game is in September ...

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

asafmordechai wrote:1st time i heard of "two cameras mounted on one head" how does it work ?

See: http://blog.paris-26-gigapixels.com/en/?p=115

on a different subject i do i solve the problem of Head not taking shot were no object to make focus on --> sky / grass etc.
i need to take the panorama with focus or should i take it at F22 and manual focus for the inter project ?

It seems most people use manual focus and adjust that manual focus as required, typically on a row by row basis, when shooting gigapixel partial panos.

You will probably find some useful tips here too:

http://photoartkalmar.com/Photoart%20Kalmar%20high%20res/Gigapixel/Vienna%2050%20Gigapixel/making%20of%20GB.html
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

asafmordechai

Topic author
Info

by asafmordechai » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 am

I familiar with the idea of going to Manuel.

but the clauss head will take 2800 frames in 15 min.
I cant stop it to move from AF to MF ...

I have been told by the manufacturer that :

Go to AF mode - choose the AF servo Mode so everything keeps sharp and on the distance there will be no probs with the nodal point.
If you can't focus..there is noting to focus ... right. :-) Nevertheless the camera will take a picture in AF servo Mode (in most cases in a brilliant quality)

Asaf

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

asafmordechai wrote:I familiar with the idea of going to Manuel.

but the clauss head will take 2800 frames in 15 min.
I cant stop it to move from AF to MF ...

I have been told by the manufacturer that :

Go to AF mode - choose the AF servo Mode so everything keeps sharp and on the distance there will be no probs with the nodal point.
If you can't focus..there is noting to focus ... right. :-) Nevertheless the camera will take a picture in AF servo Mode (in most cases in a brilliant quality)

Asaf

Autofocus is always very critical when you shoot panos. You hardly know to which part of an image it looks. Imagine it looks into a street between two buildings: if you select a center-field for AF it might look into the street and focuses to a far-away point - that means the buildings are out of focus. Imagine the sensors look to the buildings - that means it focuses to the building which is closer than the other or vice versa . . in any way it doesn´t focus on the street between them. Next image shows a part of the buildings from the image before - but some trees stand between the building and the camera: depending on the size of the trees the AF-field will select THEM as focus. Then you have the trees sharp but the buildings unsharp. Now you have three focus-planes in two images . . . what about shooting 200 images . . ? ;-)

In my opinion it´s definitely preferable either to select a suitable focus for each image, each row or use a suitable hyperfocal setting to match ALL distances by using a suitable aperture.

I prefer to do the latter where i can. In VERY critical situations i can move Josef´s head manually shot by shot and control the focus via liveview for each image. As long as the focus-differences are not too big APG handles it very well (the head writes an xml nevertheless)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel