no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Orion GoTo/Papywizrd connection issues

by Orgizmo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey all,

I recently had the project of turning an Orion TeleTrack AZ-G Altazimuth GoTo Mount into an automated head. I've been trying to get papywizard to connect and can get the 3 check marks with the under the connect column, but can't get anything to init (all three come back as big ugly red x's). I've tried with a bluetooth connector (the Bluesmirf) and two different USB connectors. In all cases I've been able to get the 3 connect check marks but no init check marks by either a wired or bluetooth connection. I know the unit itself works fine when worked by the hand controller (it's the larger pad with the LCD screen) and I know the USB/bluetooth devices are working properly... what the real head scratcher is is why will the two not work together.

I understand that there's different versions of the goto mount, but are there any known not to work with papywizard and is there any way to tell if I have that version of the mount (not seeing and serial/model #'s on it).

Thanks for any help =]

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum...

What sort of cable have you been attempting to use for a wired connection?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Orgizmo wrote:I've tried with a bluetooth connector (the Bluesmirf)

Any special reason for messing about with a Bluesmirf rather than the well established and reliable Deltawave PapyMerlin Bluetooth device?:

http://www.papymerlin.com/interface-%C3%A9lectronique/

Were you able to pair your Papywizard host platform (is that a Windows PC?) with the Bluesmirf connected to the Merlin mount?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Info

by Orgizmo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Q: What sort of cable have you been attempting to use for a wired connection?

I'm using a RJ-11 cable, with the rx/tx wired together on the black line each with a 220ohm resistor and ground connected to the yellow (tested rather then relying on wire colour alone)

The reason I'm using the bluesmirf is because that's what I have to use. =s Windows (XP) is recognizing and connecting with the bluesmif (show's up in the bluetooth tab has com ports assigned to it). When attempting to connect it goes from having a flashing red light to a solid green light. As I said it gives three green check marks on the connection, but none on the init column of the connection screen.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Orgizmo wrote:Q: What sort of cable have you been attempting to use for a wired connection?

I'm using a RJ-11 cable, with the rx/tx wired together on the black line each with a 220ohm resistor and ground connected to the yellow (tested rather then relying on wire colour alone)

Orion/Merlin requires TTL not RS232. You some sort of RS2332-TTL conversion device. Does your hand controller have a serial RS2332 connector? - if it does then I believe the hand controller can be set to a PC connection mode and will provide the RS2332-TTL conversion when used with the supplied PC serial cable.

BTW never connect the handcontroller and another device on the other connector on the mount at the same time.

The reason I'm using the bluesmirf is because that's what I have to use.

Have to use or have to hand?

Windows (XP) is recognizing and connecting with the bluesmirf (show's up in the bluetooth tab has com ports assigned to it). When attempting to connect it goes from having a flashing red light to a solid green light. As I said it gives three green check marks on the connection, but none on the init column of the connection screen.

So you have configured Papywizard to use a serial connection set for the COM port assigned to the Bluesmirf?

Be aware that Papywizard enumerates COM ports from zero, so you may enter the value '0' or 'COM1', '1' or 'COM2' and so on.

Which version of Papywizard are you using?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Info

by Orgizmo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Orion/Merlin requires TTL not RS232. You some sort of RS2332-TTL conversion device. Does your hand controller have a serial RS2332 connector? - if it does then I believe the hand controller can be set to a PC connection mode and will provide the RS2332-TTL conversion when used with the supplied PC serial cable.

Yes, the bluesmirf uses TTL and the USB device I'm using to try and get a wired connection is also TTL ( http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_41&products_id=44 ) I've seen the posts on the forum where both are being used successfully... I had asked in my first post about different versions of the mount, are there versions that simply will not work for use with automation (the manual says #9481 on it) are there versions of the mount known not to work???.

BTW never connect the handcontroller and another device on the other connector on the mount at the same time.

Could you please clarify. Do you mean don't have the USB/BT connector on the hand controller at the same time, or don't use the hand controller at all if I'm going to be using the BT or the USB connector? I'm only trying having one connected at a time (USB or Bluetooth) Through the handpad.

So you have configured Papywizard to use a serial connection set for the COM port assigned to the Bluesmirf?

I've configured papywizard with the Mac address of the bluesmirf (both manually entered and using the choose button) I have tried all three being serial (3 checks, 3 x's) and have tried with bluetooth selected in the drop down boxes (6 x's). The com port has been entered in as assigned by windows (tried in COMx format and as a plain old integer)

The hand pad is set to PC direct mode before I'm attempting to establish the connection via papywizard.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Comments:

1. I am not aware of any version of the Merlin/Orion mount either GoTo or non-Goto that will not work with Papywizard.

2. I meant do not have the handcontroller connected to the mount and have another device connected to the mount on the other connector at the same time.

3. If you are connecting through the hand controller then the (female?) connector on the handcontroller requires RS232 not TTL. So all you should need to make a serial wired connection between your PC and the the mount is to connect the PC serial cable that I understand is supplied with the GoTo version of the mount between your PC and the handcontroller and then connect the hand controller in PC-mode to the mount. If your PC doesn't have a serial port then you'll need a USB-serial adapter.

4. If instead you wish to connect a TLL-level device - your Bluesmirf or the USB-TTL cable - then you do not use the hand controller at all but connect the TTL device directly to the mount. BTW how are you providing power to the Bluesmirf?

5. As you are aware the GoTo version of the mount has a different handcontrller. Not only does the GoTo handcontroller have an LCD display it has that additional connector for a cable to connect it to a PC in PC direct mode, where the hancdcontroller is then providing RS232-TTL conversion. The non-GoTo model handcontroller does not have that connector or capability.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Info

by Orgizmo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am

Hey, thanks for the help, I got the USB connection working, now just working on getting the bluetooth method working (Need both, wired for in the shop and bluetooth for in the field).

The bluesmirf has been powered by a bench power supply for the time being, with trying to connect it directly to the port instead of through the hand controller I used a voltage regulator to step it down to 5V going into the bluesmirf. It pwers up and the lights flash on it. I've been given this project after other people have given up on it, so I'm not sure if someone might have tried to power it up with 12V going to it instead of 5V, is there anyway to troubleshoot the bluesmirf itself to make sure some part in it isn't fried?

Once again thanks for the help, you have no idea how happy I was to hear the whirring of gears and motors after smacking my head off the wall all day yesterday =]

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 am

Orgizmo wrote:Hey, thanks for the help, I got the USB connection working,

Good. :)

now just working on getting the bluetooth method working (Need both, wired for in the shop and bluetooth for in the field).

The bluesmirf has been powered by a bench power supply for the time being, with trying to connect it directly to the port instead of through the hand controller I used a voltage regulator to step it down to 5V going into the bluesmirf. It pwers up and the lights flash on it. I've been given this project after other people have given up on it, so I'm not sure if someone might have tried to power it up with 12V going to it instead of 5V, is there anyway to troubleshoot the bluesmirf itself to make sure some part in it isn't fried?

I don't know how you could test it.

For now let's assume it's working.

So....you are running the latest development version of Papywizard (V2.1.21-1) on your PC with Windows XP, is that correct?

Does your PC have built-in Bluetooth device or are you using a USB Bluetooth device?

Are you using the standard Microsoft Windows XP Bluetooth driver/stack or some third-party Bluetooth driver/stack? Papywizard works OK with the Microsoft stack but not with some other third-party stacks.

Now let's go through the procedure for establishing a Bluetooth connection between a Windows XP PC and a Merlin/Orion mount with a Bluetooth-TTL interface device connected to the mount....

Screenshot 1- If you are using the standard Microsoft driver/stack and you have successfully paired the Bluetooth devices on your PC and Orion mount, you should see something like the Bluetooth COM port setup shown in screenshot 1. In this case I'm using a USB Bluetooth device on my PC (BlueNext BN-01) and a Dektawave PapyMerlin Bluetooth device on my Merlin mount. Make a note of the COM port you need to configure - COM10 in this case.

Screenshot 2 - Start Papywizard and configure the Plugins - set the Yaw, Pitch and Shutter plugins for Merlin-Orion and Serial as shown in screenshot 2.

Screenshot 3 - On the Plugins/Driver tab set the Serial port/baudrate values appropriately. As mentioned in an earlier post Papywizard enumerates serial ports from zero; so if you wish to set the serial port to COM10 you can either enter 'COM10' or '9'.

Screenshot 4 - retruning to the main window of Papywizard attempt a connection between Papywizard and the IOrion/Merlin mount using the Harware/Connect command.

Screenshot 5 - While Papywizard is attempting to make the connection you should see the relevant massage in the status area: 'Staring connection. Please wait...'

Screenshot 6 - When Papywizard successfully establishes a connection you will see the relevant message in the staturs area: 'Connection started'. You should now be able to move the head using the Papywizard arrow buttons.

Screenshot 7 - If you don't get a successful connection the locate the log (Help/View Log) and post the log data here.

Andrew Stephens

no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Info

by Orgizmo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've determined that the bluetooth unit was to blame for hy it wouldn't work, I tested this by going to connect with it in hyperterminal. I was able to connect but any attempt to get a response from the bluesmirf was fruitless.

Once again thanks for all the help, sorry to cut this reply short but I'm just closing up shop for the night.

Peace =]

no avatar
viktorhotel

Info

by viktorhotel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Hello,
maybe this link
http://www.ursaminor.hu/downloads_en.html
with testprograms for Merlin mounts can help you.
regards
Volker

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Hello "Orgizmo",

By default the Bluesmirf is set to :

• Baud rate 115,200
• 8 bits
• No Parity
• 1 stop bit

All parameters are correct exept the Baud rate who should be set to 9800 ! (Merlin communication ...)

The Bluesmirf don't tolerate 12 volts !!! You should transform the 12 volts to 5 Volts ...
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

claudevh wrote:Hello "Orgizmo",

By default the Bluesmirf is set to :

• Baud rate 115,200
• 8 bits
• No Parity
• 1 stop bit

All parameters are correct exept the Baud rate who should be set to 9800 ! (Merlin communication ...)

The Bluesmirf don't tolerate 12 volts !!! You should transform the 12 volts to 5 Volts ...

I think you mean 9600?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
Orgizmo

Topic author
Info

by Orgizmo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 pm

So as a final update I was able to get the bluetooth working on the merlin/orion. Basically I had to access the bluesmirf via hyperterminal (exactly how to do this is described in the bluesmirf documentation) and set the default baud rate to 9600. Setting the in windows devices/papywizard is not enough.