no avatar
gloob

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Portrait or Landscape

by gloob » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to ask you if you prefer to use the camera in portrait or landscape mode?

Maybe you could discripe why you us it that way.

Thanks
Stefan

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 am

Portrait is better when shooting 1 row panos, as you get a larger vertical fov. I think it is better for multiple rows too. For shperical panos, I don't know if it really matter...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 am

fma38 wrote:Portrait is better when shooting 1 row panos, as you get a larger vertical fov. I think it is better for multiple rows too. For shperical panos, I don't know if it really matter...

If you use the Merlin for shooting spherical panos indoors then you will need to mount the camera/lens at the NPP and it's almost impossible to do that with the camera in landscape orientation.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:28 am

Right!
Frédéric

no avatar
gloob

Topic author
Info

by gloob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:25 am

I don't want to shoot spherical panos with the merlin. I will just use it for outside gigapixel images. I thought the gigapan uses landscape mode so this must have a reason.
For shooting and stitching there should be no difference between both modes when shooting gigapixel images or I'm wrong?

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am

gloob, you should say why you are asking this question: for which kind of panos, which camera and lens, which pano-head, etc.

For heavy cameras the torque resulting from the pano-head asymmetry is a nuisance and portrait orientation is preferable (less torque.) On the contrary, that Gigapan pano-head uses landscape orientation is related to its U-shaped camera support.

For a pano along the horizon, 2 rows in portrait orientation - where the sky row is easily linked to the ground row - is clearly preferable. For a 360x180° and when using a fisheye where FOV is 95° x 145°, two opposite portrait and two opposite landscape + zenith + nadir would result in a 6 shoots only pano.

The right answer could be: use a square sensor where image circle is completely covered! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Lenses are now much more expensive than a single sensor, even a "too large one", and a (mirrorless) camera built for panoramas would include a sensor large enough to avoid wasting any image part...

Conclusion: using a (yet to come) fulframe mirrorless camera and an APS-C series of lenses would make sense (provided this camera is less expensive than current FF DSLR.)
Last edited by GURL on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:37 pm

fma38 wrote:For shperical panos, I don't know if it really matter...

Hi Frédéric!

I don´t think it really matters - BUT :cool: : regarding a descending number of shots in the upper rows and the down rows i guess it´s easier to calculate a portait-oriented picture in terms of overlap?

Having tried both positionings i prefer the portrait mode. I experienced nevertheless that with moving clouds in the field the cloud-moving is usually better captured in landscape mode because of lesser horizontal shots duie to wider angles.

best to you (how´s building you new home?), Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

GURL wrote:Conclusion: using a (yet to come) fulframe mirrorless camera and an APS-C series of lenses would make sense (provided this camera is less expensive than current FF DSLR.)

How are they building a mirrorless camera? I know it from a Canon DSLR specieliased on sports: they had a beamsplitter instead of a mirror so that the camera could shoot with higher frequencies. But the splitter sucks light-intensity of course - guess it was 1 step at least.
The other way would be to have a permanent live-view . . is it? (didn´t ever care for that theme).

best, Klaus

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 pm

klausesser wrote:How are they building a mirrorless camera? I know it from a Canon DSLR specieliased on sports: they had a beamsplitter instead of a mirror so that the camera could shoot with higher frequencies. But the splitter sucks light-intensity of course - guess it was 1 step at least.
The other way would be to have a permanent live-view . . is it? (didn´t ever care for that theme).

Besides Canon and Nikon, nearly all manufacturers are now making mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. All of them use a live-view rear screen but most add an EVF (Electronic View Finder.) Mirror mechanics and prism being expensive is one reason for that, a resulting smaller camera another reason. Most use especially designed, smaller and non-retrofocus lenses. EVF quality and focusing speed vary widely. This new trend began for 4/3 sensors but APS-C sensors mirrorless are now common. There is a Nikon full-frame mirrorless rumor, too...

The most interesting one could be the 24mm x 18mm sensor Panasonic GH2 wich is both a fine "large sensor" video camera and a very decent "small sensor" still camera where many new or existing lenses (Leica ones included) can be used.

Sony SLT-A55 camera use a "translucent" (:rolleyes: !) mirror but that's for a faster focusing only...
Georges

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:30 pm

klausesser wrote:
fma38 wrote:For shperical panos, I don't know if it really matter...

Hi Frédéric!

I don´t think it really matters - BUT :cool: : regarding a descending number of shots in the upper rows and the down rows i guess it´s easier to calculate a portait-oriented picture in terms of overlap?

Having tried both positionings i prefer the portrait mode. I experienced nevertheless that with moving clouds in the field the cloud-moving is usually better captured in landscape mode because of lesser horizontal shots duie to wider angles.

best to you (how´s building you new home?), Klaus

Klaus,

Imagine taking pictures with a 50 mm lens for detail in a 360 degree pano. At the end, for moving clouds, how about several quick shots with a fisheye? Then mask out all the other sky on the 50 mm shots before stitching. After all, resolution in the clouds in pretty important.

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Asher Kelman wrote:Imagine taking pictures with a 50 mm lens for detail in a 360 degree pano. At the end, for moving clouds, how about several quick shots with a fisheye? Then mask out all the other sky on the 50 mm shots before stitching. After all, resolution in the clouds in pretty important.

Asher

Hi Asher!

Yes, that´s done often. But i don´t really like it - depending on how scalable you need the image you will see lots of artifacts in the sky . . . imagine you shot wonderful clouds . . and then have them look ugly . . . :cool:

best to you, Klaus