Apple Devices for Papywizard?  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
ozbigben

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by ozbigben » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

I'll use macs or PCs...
My own setup is an Asus EEE 1000HE ... since we're throwing AUD around ;). It's a couple of years old now but I still get at least 5hrs on a charge. Be careful when checking models of netbooks because battery life is one of the big variables. It slots nicely into my camera bag and has just enough grunt to do a reasonable preview stitch from JPEGs

As for a system controlled by an iphone... the clever bit is not the iphone, it's all of the stuff that's built in to the camera rig... tilt detectors, GPS, WiFi... the computer is built in to the mount so you can't really compare them.
Ben

Skywatcher Multifunction (FW 010981) + Papywizard (2.1.20), Ursa Minor USB, DSLR Remote, Canon 1Ds mkIII (70-200mm f2.8 or 80mm f1.8), PTGui Pro

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 pm

ozbigben wrote:As for a system controlled by an iphone... the clever bit is not the iphone, it's all of the stuff that's built in to the camera rig... tilt detectors, GPS, WiFi... the computer is built in to the mount so you can't really compare them.

Right!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Well IMHO there are always going to be trade offs. Please see infograph below as an example. the problem with macs is clearly illustrated.

Best
Gordon

Last edited by Gordon on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Gordon wrote:the problem with macs is clearly illustrated.

bullshit :cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Yes indeed that's exactly what I thought when I saw the bit about Macs, at least we can now agree where Macs come from..

I suppose for real freedom you would build your own Mac, PC, Linux Box or whatever.. ooops sorry you cant build a Mac or can you???

Best
Gordon :rolleyes: :cool:
Last edited by Gordon on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

pu2wxp

Info

by pu2wxp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 am

tived wrote:hi pu2wxp,

that is indeed a nice feature, a unix feature i belive, with an Apple GUI.

never the less, its excellent.

there are pro's and con's in both camp's which is why real Pro's have both ... tunnel vision and single minded is for amateaurs.

to others....

On the other side of the coin, I had a glimse of a ASUS tablet yesterday, which first looked like an iPAD, but was slightly wider I think it was using the 16:9 format, not sure, but it was running a full version of Windows 7 x64 with 8gb ram and 64GB SSD at about AUD$ 1450, with bluetooth WiFi mini HDMI USB and all the usual suscpect.

There is no doubt that the iPAD is the benchmark, and i have no idea how well the above ASUS is performing.

The question is, if one was looking for a OneWonder to control the Merlin, would a tablet be a contender?

I must say I am a bit disappointed that the Macbook Air doesn't have Bluetooth.

I gave my daughter a Samsung n310 notebook, which i think could also be a good choice with an Intel N550 processor, but I can't get it off her hands so thats a no go for me (its not always easy to be a dad! ;-) ) and haven't been able to find another.

at the moment I have nothing to take out and control my Merlin with, this laptop I am using here, would die shortly after an hour.

its time to make a decision so I can go out shooting

Henrik

Hi Henrik,
For me no matter what hardware has the ASUS, which you refer, you will need to run it with Windows and this is bad, Windows sucks.

I am controlling my robot with a MacBook and a Nokia N800, this until the Papywizard finally become compatible with IPAD.

Be happy,
Luciano Correa
Vista Panoramica
Campos do Jordao SP Brasil

pu2wxp

Info

by pu2wxp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 am

mediavets wrote:
tived wrote:I must say I am a bit disappointed that the Macbook Air doesn't have Bluetooth.

Henrik

Apple seems to think it does: http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

YES! Sure!
indeed, the MacBook Air always had bluetooth!
Luciano Correa
Vista Panoramica

pu2wxp

Info

by pu2wxp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 am

Gordon wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Yes indeed that's exactly what I thought when I saw the bit about Macs, at least we can now agree where Macs come from..

I suppose for real freedom you would build your own Mac, PC, Linux Box or whatever.. ooops sorry you cant build a Mac or can you???

Best
Gordon :rolleyes: :cool:

Hi Gordon,

Not build, but expand ... and you do not need and can not change what's inside a Mac. This is because a Mac is built exactly for that specific hardware.

For this reason the Mac does not heat, no burning power supply, not need to format, not need to restart, etc, etc ...

The Mac is not like a Windows (Frankenstein), that you can put any kind of parts, changing virtually everything that's inside, because it works with any ####.

What makes a Mac with a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM ...
A Windows CAN NOT do with i5 and 6GB of RAM.
Luciano Correa
Vista Panoramica

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 am

pu2wxp wrote:What makes a Mac with a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM ...

Please expand, give examples as I thought Macs were powered by intel chips?

Best
Gordon

GigaPixel Experimenter

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 am

Gordon wrote:
pu2wxp wrote:What makes a Mac with a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM ...

Please expand, give examples as I thought Macs were powered by intel chips?

Best
Gordon

My son is VP for marketing of new products of a major software company and they use Macbook Pros for their work when they can order anything they wish. Why? They always work! Of course, I've friends who build their own boxes and then when the software crashes, they cannot update it without wiping the drive as the new software demands the drive be up and running perfectly to upgrade.

In a Mac, reboot with the Mac OS disc, repair with the hard disc utility, reinstall and all files and programs are kept exactly as you wanted and expect.

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

no avatar
ozbigben

Info

by ozbigben » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Henrik,
For me no matter what hardware has the ASUS, which you refer, you will need to run it with Windows and this is bad, Windows sucks.

I am controlling my robot with a MacBook and a Nokia N800, this until the Papywizard finally become compatible with IPAD.

Be happy,

Personally I don't find people's personal OS preferences very helpful when someone asks a question. There are many factors behind someone's choices, budget often being one of them.. or fitting in with what they're used to. I have an ASUS and have no trouble running Papywizard... or PTGui Pro for preview stitches in the field... or even Adobe Production Premium CS4 ... so it's a perfectly acceptable solution if someone's considering it. The RAM may be limited, it may be a little slow and I may not be keen on XP Home, but it's fit for the purpose for which I use it.
Ben

Skywatcher Multifunction (FW 010981) + Papywizard (2.1.20), Ursa Minor USB, DSLR Remote, Canon 1Ds mkIII (70-200mm f2.8 or 80mm f1.8), PTGui Pro

mountaintb

Info

by mountaintb » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 am

Mac hardware is reliable (I keep a mac pro for four years at least), it means you can keep it for longer than any PC and I don't want/need to put my hands into the engine, I am not a computer technician. Then the OS is really reliable easy efficient and nice to work with...

What I don't like with Apple (I bought my first apple in 1989) is the cult of the image, you are smart if you have a mac and that is bullshit....!!!!

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Gordon wrote:.. ooops sorry you cant build a Mac or can you???

You can order them built as you like. But i configure them to my needs myself by buying components at the PC store around the corner.
Besides the RAM for my MacPro - i´ts fully buffered ECC and PC-stores usually don´t have it. But i don´t buy it at the Apple-store of course :cool: . .

To compare Apple to some cheapo-pc doesn´t many any sense.

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:25 pm

mountaintb wrote:What I don't like with Apple (I bought my first apple in 1989) is the cult of the image, you are smart if you have a mac and that is bullshit....!!!!

Agree! But the cult isn´t hyped by Apple users - it´s the pc-user´s hysteria about people who just want to work and be effective with their machines and are willing to pay a bit more for being able to do so. Seems to be hard to accept for them . . . :P:lol:

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:42 pm

ozbigben wrote:Personally I don't find people's personal OS preferences very helpful when someone asks a question. There are many factors behind someone's choices,

I fully agree. That´s why i don´t understand that pc users think they constantly must state that Mac users are just design-oriented nuts . . .

best, Klaus

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:27 am

klausesser wrote:But i configure them to my needs myself by buying components at the PC store around the corner.

best, Klaus

Ahh so you do admit to using the dreaded PC parts in your lovely Mac :rolleyes: :lol:

Best
Gordon

GigaPixel Experimenter

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 am

Gordon wrote:Ahh so you do admit to using the dreaded PC parts in your lovely Mac :rolleyes: :lol:

Gordon - that´s getting a bit boring.

best, Klaus

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 am

Gordon wrote:
klausesser wrote:But i configure them to my needs myself by buying components at the PC store around the corner.

best, Klaus

Ahh so you do admit to using the dreaded PC parts in your lovely Mac :rolleyes: :lol:

Best
Gordon

Gordon,

A good example is the sourcing of hard drives, memory and graphics cards.

The hardrive bays slide out for rapid exchange on 4 suppled trays. Memory of course just pushes into position and the same with updates on graphics cards and cards for SATA or perhaps USB 3. This allows us to buy the equipment in a standardized but economical form, so that no matter what we add later on, it still works as designed.

The key to Apple is that software and hardware are designed to work with each other.

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

Previous