Everything you need to motorize your head
vertrider

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Merlin 1x right pan/left pan without up/down pan in tracking mode

by vertrider » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Folks,

there might be a trick to have the Merlin doing a Pan at 1x tracking without the corresponding up or down pan - means horizontal 1x pan only.

Found that at the TimeScapes.org Forum recently:

"With the controller in tracking mode it moves at 1x speed on its own with no buttons pressed. By setting the latitude to +90 you get a right pan, -90 for left pan.

When you press and hold a direction button it no longer tracks. It goes direction of the button(s) pressed at the selected speed until you let go, then it resumes the tracking speed. The manual is indeed wrong about the speeds, just one of many errors in the manual.

I haven't tried this yet, but setting latitude to 0, power cycling and rotating 90-degrees R or L you could trick it into an up or down pan also at 1x. North is set when you turn it on, rotating 90 would make it think it is facing E or W and then its tracking should move up or down at sidereal speed."

Happy TimeLapsing
Chris
Merlin GoTo w PapyWizard / BT Module (TA) / Touch Control Panel / DP MX2 Dolly Engine, AstroTrac TT320X-AG, Dynamic Perception Stage Zero, Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, Nikkor AF 16/2.8 Fisheye D, Nikkor AFS 14-24/2.8, AFS 24-70/2.8, AFS 80-200/2.8 D ED, AF 50/1.8, AF Micro Nikkor 60/2.8, TC2-EIII, iMac 27" i7, MBP 17" i7, Parallels WinXP, several RAIDs and NAS, cat, dog & fish :)

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Chris!

We deal with PapyWizard and the TC handheld here related to pano-photography. For that purpose you need a stop and go function from position to position to fire the cameta at each position once or several times.

That´s a different thing than using the hand-controller provided with the Merlin - i never touched it to be honest. (correction: i tested it two times when i got the head some years ago and found it useless for my needs).

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

vertrider

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by vertrider » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:31 pm

I second that.

But what if that trick could be done with PW too? In it's basic functions it imitates the hand controller... Have to give it a try...
Merlin GoTo w PapyWizard / BT Module (TA) / Touch Control Panel / DP MX2 Dolly Engine, AstroTrac TT320X-AG, Dynamic Perception Stage Zero, Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, Nikkor AF 16/2.8 Fisheye D, Nikkor AFS 14-24/2.8, AFS 24-70/2.8, AFS 80-200/2.8 D ED, AF 50/1.8, AF Micro Nikkor 60/2.8, TC2-EIII, iMac 27" i7, MBP 17" i7, Parallels WinXP, several RAIDs and NAS, cat, dog & fish :)