Page 1 of 1

settings for touchscreen remote control

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:00 am
by fotovdb
Hi,
we received the Merlin head a few days ago.
Played around with it, and have following question:

We bought the touchscreen remote control.
We use a Canon 5DII and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

We would like to shoot 5 or 6 images with a 15° downward inclination, and a zentih shot.

I can't seem to figure out how to set a 15° inclination on this remote control. Can be done with Papywizard, but don't want a laptop connection while shooting.

Thx.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm
by mediavets
fotovdb wrote:Can be done with Papywizard, but don't want a laptop connection while shooting.

Thx.

Welcome to the forum...

So you need a Nokia N800 or N810 Internet Tablet then you can have Papywizard and a wireless (bluetooth) connection) from a handheld device.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm
by mediavets
fotovdb wrote:Hi,
We received the Merlin head a few days ago.
Played around with it, and have following question:

We bought the touchscreen remote control.
We use a Canon 5DII and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

We would like to shoot 5 or 6 images with a 15° downward inclination, and a zenith shot.

Some comments and questions:

1. I think you will need to modify the dovetail clamp if you wish to position Canon 5DMkII with a Canon 15mm FE lens at the NPP.

2. I may be mistaken but I believe the Touch Controller computes shooting positiosn itself for spherical panos and that you cannot configure a user determined shooting pattern.

3. As long as you are getting 360x180 coverage does it matter what the shooting pattern is?

4. Just out of interest, what shooting pattern does the Touch Controller compute for your Canon 5DMkII with the Canon 15mm FE lens?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:48 pm
by fotovdb
The connector calculates 5 shots (camera vertically) on 0°, and one zenith shot.
Always 5 shots, regardless of the requested overlap.

Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm
by mediavets
fotovdb wrote:The connector calculates 5 shots (camera vertically) on 0°, and one zenith shot.
Always 5 shots, regardless of the requested overlap.

Guy

Interesting - I always thought you needed 6-around using a fullframe fisheye lens in portrait orientation - that's certainly the conventional recommendation.

I imagine that the overlaps must be quite small if you shoot 5-around at zero pitch?

And the 'hole' at the nadir quite large?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 pm
by josefgraessle
With a fisheye with 180 degree diagonal you get in portrait orientation vertical 149 degree and horizontal 99 degree and in Landscape just opposit. If you select 0% overlapping you can get 360/99=3.6pictures -> 4 pictures plus 1 zenit. With 10% overlapping, the 99 degree are reduced to 89 degree. For that you get 360/89=4,04 pictures -> 5 pictures plus 1 zenit.
The calculations for different % overlapping are: 15% -> 5 p + 1 z 20% -> 5p + 1z 25% -> 6p + 1z 30% -> 6p + 1z 40% -> 7p + 1z 50% -> 8p + 1z.
You can see if the calculation gets 4,01 pictures, the controller makes 5 pictures, each the same angle, to make shure you really get your demanded overlapping as the minimum. That is the reason why you get for this lens from 10% overlapping to 20% always the same pattern 5p + 1z, as the calculated number of pictures will be between 4.04 and 4.55 and this must be extended to 5. If you would use your camera in landscape and 20% overlapping it would calculate down 4picture, up 4 picture + 1 zenit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:36 pm
by gkaefer
I would suggest not to use less than 20% overlap. something between 20% and 30%.

We bought the touchscreen remote control.
We use a Canon 5DII and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

which hardware you're talking about? the TC handheld?
Georg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm
by klausesser
fotovdb wrote:Hi,
we received the Merlin head a few days ago.
Played around with it, and have following question:

We bought the touchscreen remote control.
We use a Canon 5DII and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

We would like to shoot 5 or 6 images with a 15° downward inclination, and a zentih shot.

I can't seem to figure out how to set a 15° inclination on this remote control. Can be done with Papywizard, but don't want a laptop connection while shooting.

Thx.

Hi!

The easiest way is to mount the camera in a 15° downward looking position on your rail by loosing the camera-screw, tilt the camerea and fasten the screw again . . :P:cool:
I did it sometimes and it works well.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm
by klausesser
fotovdb wrote:Hi,
we received the Merlin head a few days ago.
Played around with it, and have following question:

We bought the touchscreen remote control.
We use a Canon 5DII and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

We would like to shoot 5 or 6 images with a 15° downward inclination, and a zentih shot.

I can't seem to figure out how to set a 15° inclination on this remote control. Can be done with Papywizard, but don't want a laptop connection while shooting.

Thx.

Hi!

I use the same lens/camera. The default setting is 20% and 5 pics hor. Works very well. Setting the overlap to 25% results in 6 pics hor. But this makes no advantage.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm
by klausesser
gkaefer wrote:which hardware you're talking about? the TC handheld?

Yup!

best, Klaus