Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Pause at the beginning of rows...

by mediavets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 pm

It seems to be increasingly common practice when shooting with long focal length lenses to refocus at the beginning of each row to increase depth of field in the stitched pano.

For example:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p70894-2010-10-17-22-46-36#p70894

This would be made easier if there was an option to have the head pause at the the beginning of each row.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
irpano

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by irpano » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:39 am

Andrew, I see That follow the discussion on the focus bracketing workflow and thank you for your input.
Your idea for a pause at the begining of each row is valid, but can we not get this same action using the Step By step option in papywizard.
I include two images to give an example of the difference focus plane required and ask a further question about the ability of APP to stitch multifocused images.
As I view JSHenry's image of the hill in Death Valley, the focus planes are I believe relatively flat and from a far distance, so a fairly large depth of field per focus plane can be assumed.(Eg f11 +). This opens up the method of say 4 rows of different focus. Would you then run APP to create 4 different panos and then fuse the panos together or will APP stitch the 4 rows as one pano with an enhanced depth of field.

In the second image I see many focal planes, even within an individual section. In this case I would see the focus changed at each station in the pano. The step by step option will allow for this to occur. This method, as I pointed out to SJHenry, requires, if the same number of images are taken at each statiion, a large number of images. If you only refocus at some of the stations, you get less images, but its a matter of keeping track of those multifocused images. You then have to process the images from each station through a focus stacking software before running through APP.

In a fully automatic world it would be great if APP could analyse each station, determine if it was a single image or a stack of exposure or Focus bracketed images, fuse or not and keep a single well exposed,focused image for each station and then Stitch the lot together.

Not being as familiar with APP as you are, I ask if you know the amount of focus variation APP can handle

no avatar
sjhenry

Info

by sjhenry » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:02 am

This option of pausing at the start of each row is very useful.

+1 for this feature.

Jones

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 am

Added to the TODO list (ticket #133)
Frédéric

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:01 pm

mediavets wrote:It seems to be increasingly common practice when shooting with long focal length lenses to refocus at the beginning of each row to increase depth of field in the stitched pano.

For example:

This would be made easier if there was an option to have the head pause at the the beginning of each row.

You always can interrupt the process - just use the "pause" button. It exists in PW and also on the T&C controller´s display.
Use "pause", do your focus and hit "pause" again - and Merlin goes on.

I´m using that procedere for 3 years now.

:cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:It seems to be increasingly common practice when shooting with long focal length lenses to refocus at the beginning of each row to increase depth of field in the stitched pano.

For example:

You always can interrupt the process - just use the "pause" button. It exists in PW and also on the T&C controller´s display.
Use "pause", do your focus and hit "pause" again - and Merlin goes on.

I´m using that procedere for 3 years now.

:cool:

best, Klaus

Sure you can do that but I don't have the patience/focus to watch the shoot window so I can hit the Pause at just the right time.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm

mediavets wrote:Sure you can do that but I don't have the patience/focus to watch the shoot window so I can hit the Pause at just the right time.

What do you do while the head is shooting? Cinema? Lunch? Tearoom? Dancefloor? :P:cool::cool:

You anyway have to wait for the "right" moment, do you.

A way to act would be like i did as a cameraman: measure every relevant distance first and place marks on the lens-barrel.
Then while shooting the focus-puller/assistent (in your case: you) sets the scale to the marks while the camera or the object moves and you watch it in the finder.
That´s a procedere which still is done today: "follow focus" gadgeds mounted to the lens provide that even via wireless remote and a focus-monitor some meters away.

Along with landscapes and a 600mm that procedure might be a bit tricky ;) . . but to stop the head´s motion for some seconds to set the focus to a prepared mark or to look through the finder or have an external monitor fed with the life-view . . . and start the head again shouldn´t be too difficult. Takes some 30sec max. . . .

Maybe the camera can be equiped with some kind of sound - a bell, an organ, a Mezzo Soprano or so . . . :P:P

best to you, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:Sure you can do that but I don't have the patience/focus to watch the shoot window so I can hit the Pause at just the right time.

What do you do while the head is shooting? Cinema? Lunch? Tearoom? Dancefloor?...

...Maybe the camera can be equiped with some kind of sound - a bell, an organ, a Mezzo Soprano or so . . . :P:P

It neednt be that you are doing something else productive, but you might not be watching the controlling unit 100% of the time. E.g in a 1 hour shoot i might sit on a nearby bench with the [prefered portable music player/handheld console] , so wouldnt be watching the, in my case, N800 to check on progress of each row.

Regarding a sound, this could be done on the control unit rather than in the camera, e.g:

Code: Select all
on.end.of.row{
    pause()
    play.sound(endrow.mp3)
}

or some similar psuedocode

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:32 pm

wjh31 wrote:It neednt be that you are doing something else productive, but you might not be watching the controlling unit 100% of the time. E.g in a 1 hour shoot i might sit on a nearby bench with the [prefered portable music player/handheld console] , so wouldnt be watching the, in my case, N800 to check on progress of each row.

Yes, as the saying goes:
" Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits" Satchel Paige US baseball player (1906 - 1982)

;)

Regarding a sound, this could be done on the control unit rather than in the camera, e.g:

Code: Select all
on.end.of.row{
    pause()
    play.sound(endrow.mp3)
}

or some similar psuedocode

Indeed- an excellent idea.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Just as an asside, i wonder if pausing at each row could be used also to adjust exposure per row, to simulate a graduated ND filter, anyone tried anything like that?

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Juste shoot in automatic exposure mode, and APP will do the rest ;)
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm

fma38 wrote:Added to the TODO list (ticket #133)

Frederic,

Do I recall correctly that you said this would be difficult to implement?

If so, how about an alternative approach whereby the user selected a value for no. of shots after which shoot routine would pause - and ideally optionally sound an alert too.

In other words it would be up to the user to inform the system about when the end-of-row would be reached rather than the shoot routine having to compute that position.

Would that be any easier to implement?
Andrew Stephens