Cannot properly align waves crashing on beach  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
raffles

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Cannot properly align waves crashing on beach

by raffles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Having been very impressed with APP so far (only started using it last week), I've come upon a stumbling block. It's possibly something that the manual CP adding in the next release will fix. The picture in question is this (197kB):

It's not bad, except for the wave crashing on the beach. I took each shot attempting to time the wave crashing on the beach more or less at the same time and in the same place. I have moved the left image down so that the white waves match up, and they look fairly seamless together, which is good. But of course it brings the rocks in the background down which messes the whole image up.

APP refuses to create control points anywhere in the vicinity of where the white water is mismatched. What can I do to fix this issue? The left hand image just needs to be stretched down a little bit so that the white bits of the sea match up, but the horizon stays where it is. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

This was hand-held, 4 images total (so 2 and 3 are the ones in question here) using a Canon Powershot G10. FOV is just under 180 degrees I reckon. Projection is Cylinder (Planar looks a lot more realistic, but alas the stretching at the ends is terrible). If you have any other feedback regarding improvements to this picture I'd appreciate that very much.
Last edited by raffles on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taf

Info

by taf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

>in the same place

i don't think the wave crash at the same place on the right and on the left... Look, the horizon is well align, and the wave on the right is far below than the wave on the left...
Look. There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up !

no avatar
raffles

Topic author
Info

by raffles » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 am

Yeah I know! The point is that I want to modify it to look like they were aligned. I know this means I'll be (very slightly) misrepresenting reality, but no stitch with a wide field of view in a non-planar projection does either. Is this something I'll have to do in Photoshop?

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes, or try just using a few manual CPs and see if APP distorts the image. Never tried that, but it may work.

But you may have to resort to Content aware scale or liquify.

no avatar
raffles

Topic author
Info

by raffles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 am

try just using a few manual CPs

But APP doesn't support adding manual CPs! And unfortunately I have Fireworks CS4, not Photoshop, and it doesn't do Content-aware scaling.

Anyway, I managed to get it more or less nicely aligned in Fireworks, using distort and some fading at each overlap point, and then it crashed as I went to save it. So I'm very annoyed.

leedsjoe

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by leedsjoe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 am

The alpha test 2.5 does support manual CPs.

http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/AutopanoPro_win32_250A1_2010-06-23.exe is a win32 version.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:01 am

raffles wrote:
try just using a few manual CPs

But APP doesn't support adding manual CPs! And unfortunately I have Fireworks CS4, not Photoshop, and it doesn't do Content-aware scaling.

Anyway, I managed to get it more or less nicely aligned in Fireworks, using distort and some fading at each overlap point, and then it crashed as I went to save it. So I'm very annoyed.

You don´t need any "content awareness" at all - beside of you´re eye´s one . . . :cool:
You can do that manually with every old Photoshop version or other imaging-apps using layers: draw a wider selection around the right half of the waves using a slightly soft edge, copy it and paste it as layer.
Then you "distort" his layer in a way it matches the left waves.
Merge to the background layer and use the clone tool to work over maybe visible doubled areas in the non-wavy waters.

That´s all - takes about 5 minutes and is very much faster than dealing with manual cp in such pictures.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:32 am

I'll second Klausesser!

Content aware scaling will do you no good what so ever in this case, however :-) content aware fill may help you in CS5, but what Klaus said is still a very good and efficient way of doing it!

Henrik

no avatar
raffles

Topic author
Info

by raffles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks Joe. I tried it, adding several control points for the waves, but APP seemed to ignore them. They were bad matches according to the labels, so that's probably why they were ignored.

Anyway, I gave it another bash in Fireworks and did this. The shimmer on the water is a bit of a giveaway, and the waves are far from perfect, but it's the best I could get it.

no avatar
raffles

Topic author
Info

by raffles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Oh, I hadn't seen the posts after leedsjoe's (I had left this page open for some time before writing my reply).

Thank you Klaus for that technique, I'm still very much a beginner with Fireworks and that's something worth remembering. Also thanks for going to the trouble of editing my image, I appreciate it.