Panorama photos without Autofocus  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
polk

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Panorama photos without Autofocus

by polk » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello!

Someone told me, that I have to make panoramas without Autofocus. Is it true?
Do you create panoramas wirh or without autofocus?

thanks

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm

polk wrote:Someone told me, that I have to make panoramas without Autofocus. Is it true?

Focusing towards infinity and then selecting manual focus works best in most occasions. Selecting an aperture like f:8 or f:11 to get a larger depth of focus will help, too.

Besides that, as Autopano can compensate for the slight changes in field of view different focusing distances are causing, one can allow some amount of focusing adjustment between one shot and the next provided it is small enough (so that a significant part of the overlapping region is in focus on both images.) Because I sometimes do that, I know it's difficult but not impossible. For most panoramas this is completely useless and a fixed focus works better.
Georges

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon May 03, 2010 3:07 pm

The procedure depends on what camera/lens you use. With a FF camera and 12mm lens, at f/16 the hyperfocal distance is about a foot.

I would just set the lens to its hyperfocal distance at the aperture I need (i.e. f/11 or f/13 on APS-C, f/16 on FF).

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

As depth of field is what matters, here is a good tutorial about depth of field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
Georges