Cannot process 2gb file. Will Autopano Giga allow a larger fi  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Cannot process 2gb file. Will Autopano Giga allow a larger fi

by DGBERG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

I have autopano pro and tried to process a 36 shot pano and it was kicked out . The message said nothing larger then 2gb. This 2 gb file was with my D300 and I am looking at a D3X when the price comes down. What are my options? Does Autopano Giga process a larger file?
Thanks in advance
Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
Last edited by DGBERG on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Autopano can process much bigger files, rest assured. However, you have to choose a proper file format and have a proper file system.

Could you post some info about your configuration? OS type and is it 32 or 64 bit? Filesystem - is it FAT or NFTS or HFS or other? Amount of RAM? What settings you're using in APP in regards of rendering? Filetype? Bits?
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 pm

'[bo wrote:']Autopano can process much bigger files, rest assured. However, you have to choose a proper file format and have a proper file system.

Could you post some info about your configuration? OS type and is it 32 or 64 bit? Filesystem - is it FAT or NFTS or HFS or other? Amount of RAM? What settings you're using in APP in regards of rendering? Filetype? Bits?

And any error message you get when the image is 'kicked out'. Ive done several multi-gigapixel (8 largest) with APP2 so it is most likely your particular configuration

no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Info

by DGBERG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Do not know the answers to many of the questions but here goes. Process the pano with Autopano Pro,send to Lightroom and then through Genuine Fractals 6 for resizing and the gallery stretch option. Comes out as a tiff. When I ran the first 36 picture pano through Autopano Pro it would not process it as it said it was over 2 GB. I have a Mac Pro with 10 GB of Memory,
2 x 2.8 Quad Core. 2 - 500gb hard drives and 1 - 1tb hard drive. 64 bit. Not enough knowledge to answer the other questios. Maybe someone could direct me what to check in preferences.
Dan berg

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:35 am

When you get to that window: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Render_Settings

Under "Format" - what is your selection? Have you tried using PSB format? If not - do try! Also, what's selected for Interpolator and Blender?

In the Application Settings: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Application_Settings

What are your settings under General -> Memory Used? Also, what is the setting for the Temporary folder and how much free space you have on that drive?

no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Info

by DGBERG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

The only thing I see that may not be right under settings is under memory the slider is the whole way to the left 10mb. Should I move that to the right to a higer mb or gb setting? Also I see the the dpi is set to 360 and not 72 like yours. That could be it.
Any default settings hyou think might help me please chime in. I am printing very large (24 X 60) so I do not want to compress anything. I actually go to Genuine fractals 6 after processing to resize larger and put my extensions on for gallery wrapping.
The hd that is being used is 500gb ans shows about 230gb remaining
Dan Berg
Last edited by DGBERG on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Have you tried using PSB format? If not - do try!

Also, see: http://www.autopano.net/forum/t7426-app-pro-can-t-create-tiff-files-larger-than-2gb

no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Info

by DGBERG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Sorry this is new to me and do not know what PSB is.
Just read your link and very good info. I have a 1tb drive that is almost empty. Would the software work better if on that drive? Not sure if I want to screw around with that and mess things up. You can tell this is new territory for me.
Thanks for your help.
Would be nice if I had some kind of list for default settings for real large panos.
Dan Berg
Last edited by DGBERG on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 pm

When you open the Render Settings dialog, do you see a dropdown menu under the Format label: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Render_Settings

Choose PSB format - that is Photoshop file format. Try to render in it.

no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Info

by DGBERG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Now I see it,duh!
What should the dpi settings be for super large panos, or do I just change that to show my final print size?
What should compression be? It says Zip. What does that do to out put quality. Should it be none?
Thanks much.
Dan
Last edited by DGBERG on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:49 pm

For PSB format you have no compression option. The DPI can be set to whatever you need, as the output size is actually input in pixels*.

--
* In case you don't understand that: the file size can be set either in dimentions in centimeters/inches + DPI, or in pure pixel by pixel dimentions, as is the case with Autopano. Both methods are exposed in Photoshop's Image Size dialog window. So you either specify a 12 000 by 10 000 pixels image dimentions or you specify 50 by 35 cm @ 300 dpi (those dimentions do not match, they're just an example).

no avatar
DGBERG

Topic author
Info

by DGBERG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:05 pm

I just spent 20 minutes reading all about this. Your links were helpful.
One last question. If I set the size and dpi properly when rendering in Autopano Pro is it necessary to enlarge or change the size with Genunine Fractals 6? I will still need it for the gallery wrap stretch .
Dan

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Hmm... No matter what DPI you set in the Render Settings window, your rendered image will have the same pixel dimensions.

Here's an example. Say you have an image that shows in the Render window dimensions as follows: 12 000 pixels width and 10 000 pixels height. If you input 72 in the DPI setting, you're going to get a (roughly) 420 x 350 cm image at 72 DPI. If you input 300 DPI (a common number, used in printing), you're getting 100 by 85 cm image at 300 DPI. In both cases the pixels that make the image are the same - no more, no less.

no avatar
neweramike

Info

by neweramike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you BO from all of us.. for clarifying that question. it is one of your better posts. Mike in Miami

l_d_allan

Info

by l_d_allan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 pm

'[bo wrote:']Choose PSB format - that is Photoshop file format. Try to render in it.

Minor point of possible clarification ... my understanding is that PSD is the D)efault photoshop D)ocument extension, and PSB is for B)ig photoshop files. When I have images wider than 30,000 pixels, PSB seems to work better.

YMMV.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am

PSD is the original photoshop format ( a TIFF derived format in fact ). It was created a long time ago and this way has some limitation. Most known is 30,000 pixels wide, but there are also other limits like this one : a layer cannot be more than 2 GB in size.

PSB was an extension to this format done for photoshop CS 1. It modified indexes and limits. No more limit for layer size in byte, but dimensions are now 300,000 x 300,000.

l_d_allan

Info

by l_d_allan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Ok ... so PSD is more or less obsolete, and for panos, PSB is typically the default?

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am

It depends - if your panos are all smaller projects, no need for the PSB format, really. PSD is not obsolete - it's still the default Photoshop format.