RAW or JPEG ?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
mohammad233b

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

RAW or JPEG ?

by mohammad233b » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:05 pm

My Canon G10 has RAW - Raw & JPEG photography. So I can select one of the 2 modes. Now Which mode is better for autopano? RAW or JPEG?

Mohammad

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

If you are in hurry then shoot jpeg but RAW will be best if you have card space & time for post processing.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Try to not be in a hurry and shoot as RAW. Developp your RAW the best way that you're feelling to jpeg or tif. In any case, you still have the original RAW. :)
Last edited by marco-pano on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Another reason for shooting raw when you are in hurry & dont have time for exposure checking is that Raw file will let you recover more details in shadow & highlights than jpeg & if you need alpha masking then you surely need to convert to png or tiff so why shoot jpeg at all?

But sure there are many times when even I do jpegs.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:26 pm

digipano wrote:...But sure there are many times when even I do jpegs.

I know that, sometimes, I certainly spend too much hard-disk space/time for low interest panorama. With Canon G9 or Canon 40D, I prefer to shoot in RAW first.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)

mohammad233b

Topic author
Info

by mohammad233b » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 pm

My purpose is to print and email. Although my Canon package consists of a software for post processing (I can change RAW to JPEG in this software). I should mention that I'm not a professional in post processing, so I'm worried that I do post processing not good. What's the best setting in change RAW to JPEG for print or email?

Mohammad

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:53 am

I don't know about the G10, but Canon DSLRs come with Digital Photo Pro. DPP is an awesome, and easy to use program. If you have it, shoot RAW then convert to JPG or TIFF. You can change picture styles and exposure, etc very easily, and then copy the changes to a bunch of pictures.

If you have DPP, play with it and see what it can do for you.

APPs RAW converter isn't bad, but its not why I bought APP.

leedsjoe

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by leedsjoe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:34 am

I already have DPP that I downloaded for other Canon Cameras. However, since I have a G10, out of interest I have done some research.

I got to http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010676.asp which offers ' Digital Photo Professional Updater for Windows - I had already chosen Windows as the OS. Associated with this page is one for cameras supported: G10 is listed there.

Not clear whether the 'Updater' implies that DPP already on the product CD that comes with the G10, but that is easily checked.

This info I hope helps things along.

btw: I agree that DPP is an excellent product.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

mohammad233b

Topic author
Info

by mohammad233b » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 am

Yes. With my Canon, I've received DPP. Which process is with high quality results? JPEG after Post Processing or JPEG produced with camera? How much adjustment for brightness,White balance, and others should I select with DPP?

DrSlony! What about your software? Which is better? DPP or your software?

Mohammad
Last edited by mohammad233b on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Its not my software, its Gabor's, I'm just on the dev team. RT is already great and its going to get better soon as it will change to a GPL license and a few people with skills and ideas will hopefully contribute what they offered :] From things like perspective adjustment and hot pixel removal to things like better demosaicing algorithms and something like tonemapping without the halos as described here and here! Already many users, myself included, report achieving more pleasing results using RT than using other software, like Lightroom.

Which is better for you? Only you can answer that :] Try several, just remember that you might be more proficient at some RAW converters than others, which could give them an unfair advantage in your comparison.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:30 pm

mohammad233b wrote:Yes. With my Canon, I've received DPP. Which process is with high quality results? JPEG after Post Processing or JPEG produced with camera?...Mohammad

I have Canon G9 and EOS 40D (DPP was uninstalled after I bought DxO Pro). They generally give good JPEG. Sure that processing RAW files give better result, if you know well your RAW developper. But more processing time and bigger files. Even in Superfine, JPEG from camera are subsampled and have compression that isn't negligible. With RAW developper, you can output JPEG with less compression or (better) TIFF with no compression at 8bit / 16bit per RVB component. I'm not sure for G10 but I guess that RAW files are 14bit depth when JPEG have a color space transformation and 8bit depth.

Your Canon G10 can give many times a good JPEG. If exposure was not really good, you can do only a little. From RAW file, you can recover more in "burnt" highlights or too deep dark shadows.

Now, which software to developp RAW: as usual, the one you know the best to work with :)
Marco, Paris ;)