Autopano is very slow - I need help with setting  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Harry189

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano is very slow - I need help with setting

by Harry189 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi, I'm running some tests with several stitching-programs. Autopano Giga 64 is very slow and needs hours to complete 22 Pictures from my Pentax K20D (15 MP). My PC has these specs: Dell Precision with 12 GB RAM, Xeon Dual Core 3 Ghz, 2 fast Harddiscs and Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Autopano uses only 1 to 2 GB Ram and the processor utilization changes between 1 - 7 %. What can I do about this?

Harry
Last edited by Harry189 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Harry189 wrote:Hi, I'm running some tests with several stitching-programs. Autopano Giga 64 is very slow and needs hours to complete 22 Pictures from my Pentax K20D (15 MP). Harry

As long as you don't say which other softwares you tested and gave you better speed and result, I'm afraid that nobody can help you.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
Harry189

Topic author
Info

by Harry189 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm

The only alternative software worth to be mentioned was PTGUI. It took about 20 Minutes to do the job but the result had some bad areas. Therefore I don't want to use it. From what I've read about Autopano it should be much faster on my computer. Is it possible, that Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (version 7100) which you can download from microsoft's website is not fully compatible with autopano?

Harry

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Harry189 wrote:... Is it possible, that Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (version 7100) which you can download from microsoft's website is not fully compatible with autopano?
Harry

Do you mean that Windows 7 / 64b official release is available when 32b version is planned for late october ? If you use some beta of Windows 7, please don't blame APP, it's not fair.

Anyway, it's quite surprising you said that an OS is not compatible with a specific software :lol:
Last edited by marco-pano on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:27 am

Harry189 wrote:Hi, I'm running some tests with several stitching-programs. Autopano Giga 64 is very slow and needs hours to complete 22 Pictures from my Pentax K20D (15 MP). My PC has these specs: Dell Precision with 12 GB RAM, Xeon Dual Core 3 Ghz, 2 fast Harddiscs and Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Autopano uses only 1 to 2 GB Ram and the processor utilization changes between 1 - 7 %. What can I do about this?

Harry

I have a similar system - Precision 7500 dual 5504 Xeons (total 8 cores) at 2GHz. 16GB RAM. 1 velociraptor on C, two other fast terrabyte disks. Vista 64 22 15 GB pictures should be a lot faster than that. APG uses 8+ GB. Part of the process seems to run on only one core.

1. where are your source files? Where is the system swap file? Where is the APG temp files? (try putting the temp files on one disk, time it, and try it on the other disk).

2. How much free disk space do you have?

3. How many cores did you configure APP to run on? 1 or multiple instances? GPU enabled? (and what's your GPU?)

4. do you mean stitching or rendering is slow?

Seems you've got some bottleneck in your system, and its neither the processor nor RAM.
Last edited by hankkarl on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Harry189

Topic author
Info

by Harry189 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 am

marco-pano wrote:... Do you mean that Windows 7 / 64b official release is available when 32b version is planned for late october? ...

It was possible to download the release candidates (32 and 64bit) from microsoft. Read here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

marco-pano wrote:If you use some beta of Windows 7, please don't blame APP, it's not fair.

I was not blaming anyone. I think that some experienced users could tell me how to set the options correctly. Therefore I've started this thread.

no avatar
Harry189

Topic author
Info

by Harry189 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am

hankkarl wrote:1. where are your source files? Where is the system swap file? Where is the APG temp files? (try putting the temp files on one disk, time it, and try it on the other disk).

The system swap file is on C. I will move it to another harddisk. I've ordered a quick SAS harddisk for the APG-temp files. I should arrive soon.

hankkarl wrote:2. How much free disk space do you have?

About 350 GB

hankkarl wrote:3. How many cores did you configure APP to run on? 1 or multiple instances? GPU enabled? (and what's your GPU?)

2 cores and single instance. GPU is enabled. I think it may be a weak point in my system. It is an older nvidia quadro NVS graficcard.

hankkarl wrote:4. do you mean stitching or rendering is slow? Seems you've got some bottleneck in your system, and its neither the processor nor RAM.

The preview comes quickly. I can easily use all the tools (crop, histogram, ..) in the preview mode or change the mode from sphere to planar. But the final process of stitching or rendering is slow. How do you set the cache size?

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am

GPU is not used during rendering, so that's not a problem. Those images should stitch in less than 30 minutes, IMHO, even on much less expensive setup!

What have you set under Settings > Cache size & Memory used during rendering?

Also, could you check to see which part of the render is slow - if it is the last one (where the progress bar says Smartblend), this is an indication of problem with your HDD.

Could you try Multiband and compare to Smartblend rendering?
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Harry189 wrote:
hankkarl wrote:4. do you mean stitching or rendering is slow? Seems you've got some bottleneck in your system, and its neither the processor nor RAM.

The preview comes quickly. I can easily use all the tools (crop, histogram, ..) in the preview mode or change the mode from sphere to planar. But the final process of stitching or rendering is slow. How do you set the cache size?

OK, IMO, stitching is what happens from the time you click the green arrow in the left hand column (the one with the individual pictures) till you get an image shown in the right hand column. Seems you can get into the pano editor and make adjustments, so the stitching part went ok.

Its the render thats the issue.

This window http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Application_Settings lets you set the cache size (its the slider near the top). Also, Try allowing multiple instances.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 pm

I use less equipped hardware,
8gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RC
AP "64bits V2.0.3" (;-) named in programm title
main difference:
I use 2 SSDs , each 120gig
I use nvidea graphic card with GPU support (enabled in AP)
one I use as AP temp dir and AP source images
other I use for AP APT output dir.

stitching 42 images 10mpixel Canon raw format spherical 360x180 panos I get repeatingly finished within 50 minutes.

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
rodlaird

Info

by rodlaird » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 am

'[bo wrote:']GPU is not used during rendering, so that's not a problem. Those images should stitch in less than 30 minutes, IMHO, even on much less expensive setup!
Could you try Multiband and compare to Smartblend rendering?

I thought Autopano 2 uses the GPU during rendering - at least it runs a hell of a lot faster on my machine than APP 1.4! Your suggestion to try multiband rendering is on the money; the smartblend option I suspect is puttling samples from many files and not doing it sequentially so the reads are very slow though there is no appreciable CPU load. If the render is small enough that your disk cache holds the files the smartblend phase can be very fast - just limited by CPU/disk subsystem I/O bandwidth. Otherwise- wait wait wait, even with a fast disk setup. A 20GB DDR3 RAMDISK would solve this! Or some better algoriths (Alexandre/Renard???)

SO - try multi-band - if it is an order of magnitude faster, smartblend is your culprit and you need faster disk system...

cheers
Last edited by rodlaird on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod in Oz

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:45 am

20GB would not be enough for large Smartblend projects and for smaller ones - a simple Raptor will do the job. The way Smartblend works is that it creates a temp "tiff" file for each image used in the panorama and then blends each of them into the final pano, sequentially. At least that's my understanding.

no avatar
rodlaird

Info

by rodlaird » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 am

'[bo wrote:']20GB would not be enough for large Smartblend projects and for smaller ones - a simple Raptor will do the job. The way Smartblend works is that it creates a temp "tiff" file for each image used in the panorama and then blends each of them into the final pano, sequentially. At least that's my understanding.

That's correct baed on my observations. However while a Raptor is fast for sequential reads it's access time is still about 10ms. I have both mirrored raptors and a very fast workstation RAID5EE system (burst 320MMB/s and sustained read 200MB/s). However, the latency issue seems to be a bottleneck. I've ended up acquiring a 64GB SSD (it's caching other things too - hence the size).

It seems to debottleneck Smartblend considerably, increasing sustained CPU utilisation a lot. However, Smartblend only uses one core so now that's my bottleneck! (Quad core 3.2GHz 1066MhzFSB so no slouch of a system).

If you can wait, I think the io-extreme PCI SSD is probably a good solution (http://www.fusionio.com/ioxtreme/)

I'm doing OK for now until the boys improve the smartblend algorith.
Rod in Oz

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:46 am

Yeah, we're all waiting for the Smartblend 2, aka MagicBlend :D that will be multicore, will use the GPU and will rely on memory, instead of HDD. Then you won't need hundreds of gigs for a single Smartblend job, the rendering speed will be amazing and we'll all live happily ever after...

On topic: yep, a nice SSD like Intel’s 2nd generation X25-M will do the job perfectly!

no avatar
neweramike

Info

by neweramike » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Cheapest way to Speed up Stitching.. Purchase a SSD and identify a folder on it for your primary scratch disk in APG preferences...
This will very significantly speed up the stitching as there is no wait time. Amazing speed.. maybe 6 times faster. If you have a computer that has Sata III (6gb) Get a Sata III SSD. It will move 455 MEGABYTES per second.

I just bought a OCZ Solid 3 Sata III 120 GB SSD from newegg.com for US 159 with a $30.00 rebate. I have been using a SATA II 30 GB drive before.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 pm

"Thanks" for posting in a 2.5 year old topic...