Best Preferences-Settings for Large + Highest Quality Panos?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
D_Clear

Best Preferences-Settings for Large + Highest Quality Panos?

by D_Clear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 pm

I am new to this software and would appreciate any suggestions of the best set of preferences to generate best quality from very large files to make panoramas.

I am on the latest Intel Mac Pro running Leopard (10.5.6) with 10 Gig of Ram.

Am experiencing crashes and/or rendering preview shows briefly, then quits.

Thank you in advance

Dermot

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Dermot,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean when you say 'very large files'?

How many images of what resolution are you attempting to stitch and render?

What camera, lens and pano head are you using?

Which version of Autopano are using - APP 1.4.2 or APG alpha 2?

Oh, and please edit your profile so we have some idea of where in world you are located.
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
D_Clear

by D_Clear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I want to mention I am a professional user of Photoshop CS4, Capture One 4.6.1, but am really green with Autopano Pro V1.4.2.

I shoot with a Phase P45+ on a Contax 645 with (in this particular circumstance a 45mm lens) and a Manfrotto 303SPH Virtual Reality and Multi-Row Pan Head.

The stitch in question is 11 225 megabyte files, each of them in 16 bit mode - it is essential that I accomplish the stitch with these dimensions and bit-rate.

I was able to successfully complete this stitch while in Trial mode with the software yesterday, it is fine with the exception of the watermark. After purchasing a licence today I am running into problems, possibly as a result of modifying preferences.

I have tried resetting preferences, restarting my machine, etc. but am having trouble getting past the "1 panorama found", the rendering preview appears very briefly, then disappears.
I'm beginning to wonder if I have somehow corrupted the software and should do a complete reinstall, but I'm concerned about possibly having a licence problem if I do this.

It's strange that the rendering preview keeps quitting even if I test only 2 files.

By the way, I am in Canada at the moment.

Thanks in advance

no avatar
D_Clear

by D_Clear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Update: Am getting the rendering preview to work properly now.

I'd be most appreciative of a list of what preferences will allow me to best utilize the power of my computer and produce the highest quality panorama possible from my files.
FYI the stitch is not particularly difficult, just that it's large so I'd like to use the best combunation of preferences to accomplish my goals.

thx

DrSlony

by DrSlony » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:29 pm

About the crash, could you post this in the bugs section, and also tell us what resolution each of those 225MB files is?

Memory used - cache size, set this at max.
Memory used - during rendering, set this as normal. I had crashes when using "high" here, AlexandreJ advised me to use normal.
Detection - high, of course. Takes longer, but finds better matches.

You want to have your temp dir on a separate hard drive, or a RAID array would be even better. This will influence only speed, not quality.

Lastly, do you think you could upload somewhere 1 sample uncropped photo from those cameras, for our own amusement? :cool:

no avatar
D_Clear

by D_Clear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:42 pm

The resolution of my files is 5428 X 7230 pixels and they are true 16 bit.

Thanks for your recommendations on preferences, I'll make sure I am using those.

I currently use an external RAID for the temp directory, good to know you approve.

I will happily upload a file after the project is delivered - my Client deserves the courtesy of seeing them first.

Return to Using Autopano Pro & Autopano Giga