Importing EXIF info (or settign for all images at one time)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Importing EXIF info (or settign for all images at one time)

by mark_anderson_us » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi All

After much testing, i'm just about finalizing my workflow:

Shoot brackets
Create HDR in Photomatix
Stitch in APP (Create HDR)
Tone map in Photomatix

The biggest pain in this workflow is the the EXIF is lost in HDR creation (not sure if it's a limitation in Photomatix or the EXR format). (I have e-mailed Photomatix abotu this)

Anyway this means I have to manually set the focal length, camera and aperture info. I can set focal length and camera for all images at one go, but have to set the aperture for every image individually, which is a real pain.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to get rid of all other cameras (I only have one and I have no Canon "S" lenses), so my Canon EOS 30D is the Default or set a default focal length multiplier? That would be one less thing to do.

2. Is there any way to set the aperture on all the images at one ago (I always shoot with a fixed aperture).

Alternatively, could I import this from a matching RAW/JPG (e.g. EV0 shot)?

Regards

Mark
Canon EOS 30D with BG-E2 grip
50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8L, 28-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 Macro
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 pm

APG has the ability to set a default.

APP can set the parameters for all the images if you use the normal windows commands to select all the images in the set. That is, go into the image properties editor, click the first image and then shift-click the last image.
Last edited by hankkarl on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Info

by mark_anderson_us » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Hankkarl

It doesn't work for apperture. You have to double click the edit field on a SINGLE IMAGE to enter it (unless I'm missing something)

Regards

mark
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 am

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Info

by mark_anderson_us » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:27 am

Hmmm...

I was referring to APP. If you need to set the aperture for all images, you can only do them one by one as far as I can see.

You can by all means select the entire list, but to enter an aperture, you need to double click in the aperture field of ONE of the images. This de-selects all the others. You then need to repeat this for every image.

I don't see any other way to set the aperture

Regards

Mark
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:06 am

In a few words: rather than having to manually enter ISO + time exposure + apperture, it could be preferable to enter EV plus and minus differences. This could be done in the source file properties window or, perhaps, at the anchor level...

mark_anderson_us wrote:Shoot brackets
Create HDR in Photomatix
Stitch in APP (Create HDR)
Tone map in Photomatix

The biggest pain in this workflow is the the EXIF is lost in HDR creation (not sure if it's a limitation in Photomatix or the EXR format). (I have e-mailed Photomatix abotu this)

When Photomatix tone mapping is applied to an image, exposure EXIF data from the source image are no more meaningful (they can't describe the resulting image anymore, one could say that they vary from place to place in the same image!) and this is a possible reason for Photomatix to not copy EXIF data in the result.

When Photomatix tone mapping is NOT applied to a series of geometricaly identical images after fusing them, I doubt exposure EXIF data are meaningful, too. This would require improbable computations to take into account the variations of time exposure, apperture, ISO and even some other parameter to figure new values.

This don't preclude exposure indications being needed by Autopano when the images brightness was not matched/equalized during preprocessing. Having no EXIF data and differences in source images brightness often occurs when a raw-processor is used and tools like D-Lighting or even Levels or Curves are used.

Presently, LDR and HDR work like an automatic camera but in the future, perhaps, a manual exposure setting equivalent will be availlable...
---
Pas sur d'avoir été très clair ci-dessus!

Le cas décrit par mark_anderson est un de ceux où le près-traitement des images source avant Autopano fait que les infos EXIF on disparu (pour de mauvaises ou pour de bonnes raisons, dont l'utilistion d'Enfuse/Tufuse avant Autopano, peu importe en réalité.) Qu'il n'y ait plus d'EXIF n'empêche pas qu'il y ait besoin d'utiliser le mode LDR et ses ancres ou le mode HDR.

De la même manière pouvoir faire des corrections manuelles (mettons en 1/3 d'IL) au niveau des ancres ne me semble pas une idée stupide (je suis même sur que nous sommes plusieurs à  en rêver sans oser le demander...) Si je me décide à  faire un post dans The Future c'est probablement de cette manière que je présenterai les choses, même si introduire ces correction manuelles a aussi un sens dès la lecture des images source.
Last edited by GURL on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm

mark_anderson_us wrote:Hmmm...

I was referring to APP. If you need to set the aperture for all images, you can only do them one by one as far as I can see.

You can by all means select the entire list, but to enter an aperture, you need to double click in the aperture field of ONE of the images. This de-selects all the others. You then need to repeat this for every image.

I don't see any other way to set the aperture

Regards

Mark

Sorry, when you said aperture, I thought you meant Apple's Aperture.

this works on PCs, don't know about macs.

select the range of images. RIGHT click on the aperture setting in the top row (don't know if it works on other rows). you can type in the aperture and all the rows will be set.

LEFT clicking deselects the other rows, but brings up the "up and down" arrow type of selector box.

edit: do Macs even have a right-click button?
Last edited by hankkarl on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Info

by mark_anderson_us » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks hankkarl

I'm using a PC. Will give it a whirl!
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
gcarr

Info

by gcarr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 pm

Mark - I just logged into this forum for the first time. I was checking out tutorials on APP as I recently ordered it. I have never tried it as yet so its a bit gobblygook when I read through these forums on HDR and APP. I have recently worked with Photomatrix and love it. I checked out your gallery of APP applications and was very impressed (Middle East). I would have assumed I could bracket and pan. Then take 1 shot (bracketed) and HDR it. Then repeat these steps with the rest of the shots. Then assuming I have 6 shots in HD, I then import them into APP for the final landscape. However bad things happen like EXIF.
This is one of those gobblygooks. What is EXIF? And can we not combine HDR with APP without a calculator?

Puzzled-Gary

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Info

by mark_anderson_us » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi Gary

My Middle East ones were shout between 6 and 10 years ago, so on a 1.3MP camera and there was no concept of HDR back then (at least I'd never heard of it - digital was just starting)..

My workflow was shoot each frame bracketed (3 shots per frame) pan, shoot 3, etc. I then took into Photomatix and created HDR's and stiched these.

You can take the bracketed shots directly into APP but you do need the shooting data (in the EXIF ffile) for these. I don;t recall what EXIF stands for but it's all the details about the shot. Here's a sample from one of my shots:

2009:01:03 17:59:56
16-35mm @ 16mm
1/4 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
AEB comp: -2
ISO: 400
AF mode: Manual Focus
Drive: Single frame shooting
White balance: Color temp
Flash: Off
File size: 6,934KB
Image size: 2336 x 3504
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: Normal
Custom Functions:
CFn 1: SET button function when shooting: Change parameters
CFn 2: Long exposure noise reduction: On
CFn 8: ISO expansion: On
CFn 9: Bracket sequence: -, 0, +, Auto cancel: Enable
CFn 13: AF point selection: Multi-controller direct
CFn 15: Shutter curtain sync: 2nd-curtain sync
CFn 17: Magnified view: image review & playback

The only image properties I set on my HDR's is focal length (avail from EXIF in original shots), camera (because of focal length multiplier) and aperture. Not sure aperture is required, but by entering focal length and multiplier, you can figure out FOV of the lens, etc.

Once you've stitched the images together you need to tione compress to 8bit per channel to make JPG, etc. you can do this in APP (during rendering) by using HDR color correction and Rh2 or RH4 filter.

I render my panos as EXR format and tone map in photoshop CS4

There is a section in the FAQ on HDR and using bracketed images.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
gcarr

Info

by gcarr » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Mark - i just got back to experimenting and I have a question. I shot in RAW and imported into Photomatix and saved images in EXR. I then created my panorama and the overall image of my panorama was dark as it wasn't yet 'tonemapped'. You said you do this in CS4. However I have CS3 and I can't find tonemap anywhere. Do you know if this is just available in CS4? Can you answer me email? Hanks, Gary
carr.gj@gmail.com

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:51 am

Use the PM plugin for PS, if you have it, its under filters.
Or just tonemap in PM if your pano is small enough.

But in any case, you'll have to convert from the HDR format to 8 or 16 bits, unless you have an HDR printer or monitor :)

PS does does allow some tone mapping in the conversion.
Last edited by hankkarl on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Topic author
Info

by mark_anderson_us » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:47 pm

I think CS3 is same as CS4. All I needed to do was go to image -> adjustments -> exposure
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:29 pm

OK, but try tonemapping. You have at least three options within PS:
1. change from 32 bit to 16 or 8 bit
2. shaddow/highlight
3. USM, set the width very wide and the percentage low to start with. Set the last parameter low also.

And also try the PM plugin.

If you shot bracketed, you need to tonemap. If you didn't, a subtle use of tonemapping will improve an image, a heavy had will give you a result you may or may not like.
Last edited by hankkarl on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.