Panos don't render like they look  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
TrompeLaMort

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Panos don't render like they look

by TrompeLaMort » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 am

Hi,

So I'll be using autopano and I'll see something that looks like this:

Then I'll get happy and when I try to render I get this:

What is going on? I've tried changing all the settings back to the default, and no luck.

Thanks,

Dan

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:42 am

Hey, welcome to the APP forums.

The more you say, the more feedback you can get. Tell us more. What was the output file format? What bit depth? What compression? What is the file size and what dimensions does it have?

Here's a wild guess: you saved it as a 16 bit image, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer chokes on them. Try a decent image viewer like xnview and tell us if it still looks wrong.

no avatar
TrompeLaMort

Topic author
Info

by TrompeLaMort » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:20 am

You're right. I took 16 bit TIFs and made more 16 bit TIFs and kept changing settings... Wow, I feel dumb....

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:40 pm

"I took 16 bit TIFs and made more 16 bit TIFs and kept changing settings..."

???
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
TrompeLaMort

Topic author
Info

by TrompeLaMort » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Well I kept trying to generate the panorama from 16 bit TIFFs, and render as a 16 bit TIFF. Then I'd open it in windows preview or the GIMP and it just wouldn't be viewable, or it would in black and white with lines running through. I guess this must be some feature of a 16 bit TIFF that autopano uses that isn't understood by either viewer because if I use XnView it's fine and I can convert to something else.

I'm using 16 bit TIFFs because I don't want to lose any detail due to compression of a JPG.

I also think I ran into problems because I'd render the files to my external hard drive, and the name generated by autopano would be larger than the FAT32 size limit. Because oddly I couldn't render at all to my external hard drive but then I had no problems rendering to my desktop.

So basically I solved my problem, but I think all this experience just speaks to the fact that I really need a new computer. My laptop is burning hot and still rendering a 10 12MP image panorama from last night from before I signed off...

So basically, problem solved.
Last edited by TrompeLaMort on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Do not render in tiff, there is something wrong in the code of that file format… Only few apps are able to open them properly… For instance PSD doesn't open them… Unless things had evolved AFAIK

no avatar
snaefell

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by snaefell » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 pm

beeloba wrote:Do not render in tiff, there is something wrong in the code of that file format… Only few apps are able to open them properly… For instance PSD doesn't open them… Unless things had evolved AFAIK

I only did a few panos as tifs, but they rendered without problems. I used APP 1.42 for it.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:34 pm

TrompeLaMort wrote:I'm using 16 bit TIFFs because I don't want to lose any detail due to compression of a JPG.

Hmm it appears to me you don't yet understand what the advantage of 16 bit files is. If don't want to lose any quality due to jpg compression then you can safely save as tiff or png, just make sure it is 8 bit, then your current programs will handle them just fine. Regardless of whether 8 or 16 bit, I would recommend you use png, not tiff. But saving as either of those only makes sense if you want to postprocess them. If you do not, they you can safely save as jpg using minimum compression/max quality.

Here is more info on 8/16 bit depths. I haven't read these so I'm not saying I agree 100% with them, but I skimmed through them and they seem alright:
http://www.creativepro.com/article/out-of-gamut-the-high-bit-advantage
http://www.photoshop-tutorials-plus.com/8-bit-and-16-bit.html

Note that to postprocess a 16 bit per channel 15 000 x 7 500 px pano you need a powerful pc, lots of RAM.

XnView opens them fine because it supports 16 bit depths. Gimp doesn't yet, but it should tell you that the file has been converted to 8bit and then display it properly.

I also think I ran into problems because I'd render the files to my external hard drive, and the name generated by autopano would be larger than the FAT32 size limit.

If that was a problem, then you wouldn't have been to open it at all, and since you were able to open it, it is not the problem. FAT32 is #### though, don't use long file names on it, and I highly recommend not using any special characters on ANY file system (special like ° ; ' ~ @ etc.)

but I think all this experience just speaks to the fact that I really need a new computer.

Possibly, but more importantly you need better software. Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer is ####.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:23 pm

Maybe it´s becaause APP always generate an Alpha channel and maybe this viewer (i don´t know it) can´t handle it?
Rendering 16bit-Tiff isn´t a big advantage compared to rendering 8 bit. If you wanna do heavy postpro render as 8bit TIFF, make it 16bit in Photoshop, edit it at 16bit level and save it as 8bit or 16bit TIFF afterwards.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel