Stitching smooth pattern (w/o features)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
pen_or_rhino

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Stitching smooth pattern (w/o features)

by pen_or_rhino » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello!

Could you please consult me, whether I understand AutoPano properly?

I want to use it to stitch **smooth** images. Smooth: there are no well-defined small high-contrast features. Optimization (for shifts/rotations) should be based (roughly speaking) on *continuity* of the smooth pattern. I included 4 test images (copied from a single flat image, generated in Gimp) to give an example.
smooth1.jpg
smooth1.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 974 times

smooth2.jpg
smooth2.jpg (2.7 KiB) Viewed 974 times

smooth3.jpg
smooth3.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 974 times

smooth4.jpg
smooth4.jpg (2.84 KiB) Viewed 974 times

(they overlap by about 20%)

When I press "Detect" in the "Group" sub-window, AutoPano doesn't find any panoramas.

If I change the setting Detection->Links->Force every image... = ON, it puts all the images into one same place (which is of course wrong). However, now I can press the "Edit" button, and move the images, so that it looks good:
smooth-manual-kolor2.jpg

Question #1: Does AutoPano work for smooth images? How to make it see the smooth panorama? If no, could you please suggest something that can do it?

Question #2: Is it possible to visually rotate pieces by hand? (I see the setting for roll, but seems I can't do it visually, like in Hugin)

Thank you.

no avatar
pen_or_rhino

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Stitching smooth pattern (w/o features)

by pen_or_rhino » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 pm

olivierbo, thanks for the reply!

Ok, I see, can't be auto-stitched (and pieces can't be rotated). Could you please also consult me, are you aware of any such software that can auto-stitch smooth patterns? (I mean it looks absolutely possible algorithmically...)