Shooting and stitching blank space  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
Panorascal

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Shooting and stitching blank space

by Panorascal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 am

Hi all. New to Autopano and the forums.
Been shooting panos since the 80s (4x5 view camera). Used to stitch with “Stitcher” in the early oughties till photomerge got good. Now I’m needing more control and am moving to autopano giga.

Really simple question that I’ve never seen addressed but I’ve run into often.
How do you deal with large blank areas with little or nothing to identify for control points? See the embedded image: It was hard enough stitching what was shot with a 10mm (apps-c sensor). I’m considering shooting with a longer lens but then I’m almost guaranteed totally “blank” images.
Was considering carrying a roll of blue tape with me to make some markers but I imagine a more elegant solution.
Thanks!

Photoshop is to photography what taxidermy is to veterinary medicine.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Shooting and stitching blank space

by Destiny » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:48 am

Hi.. Go out can capture a pano using the exact same shooting pattern. Does not matter where as long as there are many features, indoors with no moving features, where the the control points can link to.. Stitch those images.. Then after detection, if the stitching looks perfect, go to EDIT on the right side and export the Papywizard XML code.

Now you have that xml code, use the import Wizard with your pano above..

Let me know how you get on...

Destiny...

signmaster likes this post.

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 am

OK...I think I see. So you could potentially have a seperate xml file for different lens/shooting patterns? Then as long as you shoot consistently that same xml file just acts as a framework independent of the content?
I don't shoot with click stops for each position, I just line it up by eye. Is that precise enough? I've gotten away with being pretty sloppy for years but I'm trying to up my game. Getting ready to invest in a nodal ninja to assure precision.
Thanks!

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:46 am

Well.. APG can cope with Point and Shoot to a degree, but its not really the way to do things.. You might also want to look at Bracketed shots in spaces with low light such as above, to achieve great results..

Destiny...

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:54 pm

I don’t point and shoot but my pano head doesn’t have horizontal interval clicks so I line up the lines on the rotator visually. So if I shoot 3 rows I can’t guarantee I’ll be at the precise same horizontal coordinate each time around.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 pm

My recommendation would be to buy a Nodal Ninja 4 with Rotor.. And buy a remote too so you can capture bracketed shots without the camera moving.. Your results will be 100% better... Spaces like the one you did above deserve better results..

What camera and lens are you using.???

Destiny...

signmaster likes this post.

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am

Yeah if I ever win the lottery a nodal ninja is my first purchase. I’ve been making panos with relative success (nice 3+ meter long prints) with a primitive rig that merely held the camera vertical & photomerge. Just upgraded to a rig that at least allows me to eliminate parallax errors if not doing super precise work easily. I shoot with a d7100 so my next investment is a full frame camera. Long story short: manual rig and d7100 is what I have to work with. Since software is my weakest link right now I joined here and am purchasing autopano.

Will the papywizard be effective with minor horizontal differences from row to row?

Thanks again

(Pic of observatory is a screenshot from another stitching app interface. Just picked it because the big blank areas of the dome were problematic.)

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:56 am

Papywizard xml will only export what the pano stitching data gives.. So really it need to be perfect to help with featureless areas as long as you use the same stitching pattern.. APG is good but not a miracle worker...

Your camera is OK, but consider a 10.5mm fisheye lens..

Always shoot in RAW.. That way even if you do not capture bracketed shot, you can cheat.. Its not the same data in your images but it will give you a better result. Just edit the EVs in CameraRAW and fuse the images.. Then stitch...

Destiny...

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:48 am

I shoot with a 10mm indoors. (Tamron 10-24) Again, a change in gear isn’t happening. My gear never kept me from making good pics anyway. If anything I want to shoot zoomed in to 24mm to get bigger finished images.
Been shooting raw exclusively since 2003. Capturing JPGs is for people who don’t care.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

by olivierbo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello Doug,

Can you share or send your RAW pictures and a .pano file?

Cheers,
Olivier

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 pm

olivierbo wrote:Hello Doug,

Can you share or send your RAW pictures and a .pano file?

Cheers,
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for offering help but I’d like to save that for when I really need it. (I will!)
I’ve spent most of the last few days working with the autopano giga demo. Purchasing the full version tonight.
First I’m blown away by the power of control points. Previously unstitchable images, though they take some work, are totally do-able now.

I’m still trying to figure out my workflow.
Though my rig is crude it’s working. 10mm on a d7100 shooting 3 rows. I’ve found a zenith shot unnecessary as the 10 mm reaches past zenith. Then I’ve been successful with hand holding the nadir shot. Once I’m confident in a pattern that works I’ll give the papywizard technique a try. I’ll post a couple successes tonight after purchasing.

Oh, and I’m doing all my raw processing in LR and stitching tiffs.

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:34 am

Hey look, no watermark:
Quite tedious as it automatically wants to stitch all that similar lattice, making for a lot of links to delete first thing but WOW.
I'm really impressed. Granted, I crop out that middle 1/3rd band for my finished print but I'm psyched that I can go 360ºx180º when I need to.

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 pm

....and another. This one went together effortlessly. Minor tweaks to pitch and roll to get this:

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

by olivierbo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Pretty nice with that kind of structure! ;)
How many pictures?

Olivier

Panorascal

Topic author
Info

by Panorascal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks! It’s 3 rows of 8 and a handheld nadir. I want to upscale so I can print larger (240cm+) but this combination seems to work.

Next time I get back in the observatory I’m going to do it at the same 10mm and then maybe 20mm. But at the longer focal length I’ll need to shoot a zenith. (Handheld as my too-small pano head wont go vertical with my dslr set up in the proper position.)

no avatar
Ridgeback

Info

by Ridgeback » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Panorascal wrote:Capturing JPGs is for people who don’t care.

Ouch!

Steady on there, some of us Autopano users are merely enthusiasts and hobbyists who use cheaper equipment that may not have a RAW option. It isn't that we "don't care", we just don't have the resources to afford fancy cameras. :/

Trust me, we are just as proud of our panoramas made using JPGs, even if they are usually only for our personal enjoyment!