Truly convincing "tiny planet"  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Matthew Dobrski

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Truly convincing "tiny planet"

by Matthew Dobrski » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 am

tiny planet_typical BS.jpg
tiny planet_typical BS.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Although I'm a seasoned photographer, to me panoramic images are totally new territory to explore. Recently I'm heavily involved in aerial imagery, using a plethora of semi-pro and pro camera drones. Anyway, one of my goals is to utilize pano shooting mode (from within DJI Go 4 drone controlling app) and create an true "tiny planet" effect. As for now virtually all (countless, btw) efforts of other "artists" ends up as ridiculous, absurdly caricatural balls with borderless atmosphere layer and with no shadowed (night) side. These images are created automatically with one push button. Few only publications within this trendy art-for-fun are noteworthy, but they're made with much more creativity and efforts for sure.

So, assuming that a decent Inspire 1 Pro drone can take a series of high resolution stills in several rows rotating 360 degrees at day and night, and supporting this collection with on-ground DSRL images of sky, would I be able to stitch convincing tiny planet?
Last edited by Matthew Dobrski on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
ERR

Liked in: 23 posts
Info

Re: Truly convincing "tiny planet"

by ERR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Not sure any of us know what you mean by "convincing" tiny planet? If you have the images and skills anything is possible.
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
Matthew Dobrski

Topic author
Info

by Matthew Dobrski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 am

This is convincing "tiny planet" image, accordingly to my somehow elevated standards. Don't know who's the author, but this is The Art :)...
tiny planet_propa 3.jpg

I assume that input images were taken from an airplane at significant altitude well above 500m AGL, reachable by typical camera drone.

no avatar
ERR

Liked in: 23 posts
Info

by ERR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 am

That's a beautiful piece of art but I'm sure that no "off the shelf" app spit that out with one click. There's a lot of planning (choice of subject), skill and just plain "luck" in pre/post stitching to achieve that result. APG can certainly stitch most any series of images you input depending on you skill set but that final product your using as an example involves much more post which is not (very) relevant to the primary purpose of AGP.

BTW: There's absolutely nothing wrong with the image you began the thread with except for the fact that it's not as "dramatic" a subject as your second example. The location/subject you ultimately choose (previsualization) is key to creating a compelling image/"tiny planet".
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
Matthew Dobrski

Topic author
Info

by Matthew Dobrski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 am

You wrote "The location/subject you ultimately choose (previsualization) is key to creating a compelling image/"tiny planet". It is true, naturally, but to a degree only. Thing is that the available "one click" technology doesn't deliver much more than fun looking images. The true art should thrill, not make you laughing. Said that, I'm sure that well made "tiny planet" image - with proper lighting/shadowing and background properties in line with space laws - requires much more than AGP can provide. Definitely Photoshop intervention will be required. I'll try to get to the bottom of this, some day :-) ...