How close can you shoot a panorama?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 13 posts
Info

How close can you shoot a panorama?

by jimbee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm

I'd like to create a high resolution image of some artwork on a wall but the problem is the way the room is situated you can only get about 8 feet away from the surface. If I were to take a series of images-- say three rows x 3 columns of images at this distance-- would Autopano be able to create a good panorama or perhaps there would be some kind of issues with distortion?

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

Re: How close can you shoot a panorama?

by Destiny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:10 am

Hi. With Art, you are better off shooting parallel to the paintings ect, and adding a Flat image into the Tour.. Otherwise you will always have distortion if trying to make a pano out of it.. Unless you shoot with a an 80mm lens which will reduce this but you will need to shoot heaps of images, however it should reduce the distortion effect... but not entirely.. Flat is better.. You can add the Flat Image Tour into normal VR Tour.. I can still Pan the images and zoom in...

Destiny...

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:50 am

Thanks Destiny. I think I did not describe the desired result very well. Yes, a very high resolution flat image is what we want to end up with-- the goal being to let viewers zoom in and see small details clearly. In this case the entire tour would mainly be just this single, high res image with the Output Projection set to "Planar".

Not sure what you mean by "shooting parallel". As in a mosaic? In this case it's one large section of a wall where the section to be photographed is about 8x10 feet. If we set up the pano head eight feet from the surface and aligned to the exact middle (height & width) and shoot a series of images (number of rows & columns to be determined by the focal length of the lens) could AP stitch the images together to produce a single flat, high resolution image or would there be an issue with distortion if we wanted to use

Obviously we need to do some experimenting to see what might or might not work but thought perhaps we could gain some insight as to what to expect before we get a chance to do that.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 am

I do not see an issue in using APG for this... As long as you manage your settings correctly...

Destiny..

jimbee likes this post.

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 40 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm

You can try this...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32642

jimbee likes this post.

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for the link. A lot of very useful info there that I had seen before.