Gigapixel pano: Gaps in the sky  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Gigapixel pano: Gaps in the sky

by stadh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am

Hi all,

with my most recent 20GP panorama I have a problem:
There are a few gaps in the sky after recognition.
See these two screenshots (preview and image editor):

ishot-2017-09-26_09-18-071.jpg

ishot-2017-09-26_09-18-131.jpg

When looking at the gap between 23 and 24, the images up to 23, starting from abt. 15, begin to drive upwards. I suspect this could be due to cloud movement during the images were shot?

Can you suggest a way to close these gaps?
Normally, in the sky I would just live with them and after stitching close them in photoshop, but since this pano has an x dimension > 300.000 pixels, I won't be able to edit it after stitching (or is there a way to edit it, that I don't know of yet?).

I tried to manually add control points between 23 and 24, afterwards did a "quick optimization" in the control point editor, which indeed closed the gap, but had other bad side effects:

ishot-2017-09-26_09-23-301.jpg

I guess I can correct those, too, by adding control points manually, but before I start that lengthy work, I thought I'd ask you for a better / faster solution.

Thank you very much!

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 40 posts
Info

Re: Gigapixel pano: Gaps in the sky

by Panoram1x » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 am

As you say it is more than likely to be a problem due to the movement of the clouds.

When I have faced similar problems in the sky my solution (and it has worked well) has been to place the images by means of move tool, in your case # 23 and # 61 slightly to the right, and # 24 and # 62 to the left, and it may be necessary to move slightly the neighboring images # 22, # 25, # 60 and # 63 as well.

Just need to trust that as there is little detail in the clouds Autopano fuses the images correctly.

stadh likes this post.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 pm

stadh wrote:Normally, in the sky I would just live with them and after stitching close them in photoshop, but since this pano has an x dimension > 300.000 pixels, I won't be able to edit it after stitching (or is there a way to edit it, that I don't know of yet?).
[/attachment]

Aside from using a motorized Head featuring XML protocol for placing the images regardless of any feature for finding CPs:

Split the rendered image in two or more pieces for editing them in Photoshop and combine them after editing amd savong as .PSB.

I suggest this way with more than 300000px.

Saving the rendered image as .PSB - as Aaron Priest wrote:

"PSB is my favorite format for very large panoramas. It’s a newer version of PSD without the file size limitation, in fact it supports files much larger than Photoshop’s own maximum image size (I’ll mention how to split these up for Photoshop to handle in a bit). I’ve created 3TB PSB files before with multiple layers and Photoshop handled them OK (given a huge swap file and lots of RAM obviously). Lightroom can’t read PSB files which isn’t a big deal since it can’t handle more than 512 megapixels anyway. I keep my original panoramas in PSB format if they are larger than 4GB TIFFs can handle, and save a smaller 512 megapixel TIFF for Lightroom if I want cataloging, keywording, exporting to social media, etc."

http://galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com/A ... aFileSizes

It still is limited to 300000px - but not to GB-size.

One more format is KRO:
"KRO is Kolor’s RAW format and is very similar to Photoshop RAW but has the advantage of file information as far as pixel dimensions, color depth, etc. It does not store other metadata or EXIF data however. Many panorama apps support KRO files. Photoshop can import KRO files as a Photoshop RAW file (by entering the pixel dimensions, etc. manually—it can’t read the embedded file information), but it cannot save in KRO format. This can make it difficult to edit and re-open in another app if the other program doesn’t support PSB or RAW formats. Kolor is the maker of AutoPano and PanoTour discussed below".

best, Klaus

stadh likes this post.

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by stadh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you Klaus,
I didn't know about Kroutils yet, will try that split / merge workflow today! Great hint!
Daniel