facebook 360 panarama  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
arb

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

facebook 360 panarama

by arb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi
The documentation states that uploading a panorama from AutoPano to facebook just "just work" but it doesn't seem to work for me. Facebook doesn't detect it as a panorama. (I'm stitching something less than 360x180 but that should still work)
I then followed the facebook documentation and (after calculating the appropriate numbers) ran:
exiftool -FullPanoWidthPixels=6000 -FullPanoHeightPixels=3000 -CroppedAreaLeftPixels=0 -CroppedAreaTopPixels=769 -CroppedAreaImageWidthPixels=6000 -CroppedAreaImageHeightPixels=1461 -ProjectionType=cylindrical IMG_5581_IMG_5605-25images.jpg
Still no joy.
Can anyone advise?
Thank you

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

Re: facebook 360 panarama

by Annis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 am

Have you tried rendering using the spherical projection?
Also, what is the fov covered by your panorama?
Did you edit the resulting panorama in any way after rendering?

I've tried several partial panoramas in Facebook, certain were initially detected as spherical (as indicated by the little globe while it is processing) and then it still ended up flat, so that is on Facebook.

I've tested:
- Spherical 43x17°: detected as spherical but ultimately shown flat on FB
- Spherical 166x56°: detected as spherical, shown spherical
- Spherical 114x53°: detected as spherical, shown spherical
- Spherical 28x37°: detected as spherical but shown flat on FB
- Cylindrical version of the above pano - shown as flat always.
- Spherical 232x167° : detected as spherical, shown spherical
- Cylindrical version of above pano - flat always.

So yes first thing I'd try is changing the projection.
If you can share your panorama and source images I can also give it a go.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 am

Facebook seems to check the dimensions for being exactly 2:1 before it will display in panorama mode but if you have done a lot of post processing after rendering the original and don't want to re-render then it is quite easy to create an empty file (using paint.net or similar) with the width of he cyindrical panorama and a height of width/2 and copy and paste the panorama into this empty template in the middle

You also have to resize the panorama (use Irfanview or similar) to have a width of 8000 px or less and remember to keep te aspect ratio intact

I also altered the exif data slightly to make sure Facebook recognised the source as equirectangular by setting "Make=RICOH" and "model=RICOH THETA S" using exiftool

After all this Facebook treats the cylinder as a pano but the blank space at the top and bottom are also displayed giving an overall "bow tie" shape to the display. Also Facebook does not have Vertical Offset controls such as in Panotour so any camera angles in the vertical plane (such as the tops of tall buildings, mountains etc) cause distortion

All in all I'm not really sure it's worth the effort. If you have your own web site you get much much better results by using the Facebook facility to link across to images previously generated by Panotour or similar (this is how I do it myself and the code needed is in the Panotour documentation)

best
Martin

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks for replying.

I've tried every permutation of:
* cylindrical
* spherical
* size as it comes out of autopano
* padding the pano into a larger canvas which is 2:1 aspect ratio
* leaving metadata alone
* adding facebook's metadata using a script I wrote to calculate the dimensions/offsets
* adding only the fake RICOH make and model metadata
(These are all with a 360 x 75 degree panorama, I've not tried other FOVs)

None of the above permutations will work, with ONE exception:

Spherical,
padding the image dimensions to get a 2:1 canvas,
adding fake RICOH make and model.

That's the ONLY one which works. However it's troubling because I've seen people post 360-style panoramas from the mobile phones which are clearly NOT the full 360 and also don't have white borders. So it MUST be possible somehow to get an autopano-created panorama to display likewise!

(Actually, one thing I didn't try is adding the real Canon Make,Model metadata, as I assumed it's already there)

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:47 pm

You didn't mention any resizing in the above tests
As well as the need for a 2:1 aspect ratio I believe the width has to be 8000 pixels or less
Any projection should be OK but you still need to add the dummy exif data for make and model

These uploads from mobiles you mentioned might have been taken using the photosphere app which generates 360 panos inside the app from a small number of images and would thus qualify for direct uploading to panos

Martin

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 am

Could you share your images and panorama so that I can try?

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you for your images.

So I stitched them, (got a HUGE panorama of 81k x 40k px so I reduced that to 9% of it's size to fit under 8k width ).
Rendered as Cylindrical and Spherical without the extra chunks in top and bottom and one time in Spherical with the panorama extended.

The Cylindrical panorama did not work as expected, though both spherical (partial and forced full) worked when uploading to facebook, straight from Autopano. I didn't modify any exif.

I bumped the size up to 30% of the original size (width of 25k x 12.5k px) and while it was detected correctly, I got an error message from facebook saying that size was not supported.
Facebook - Google Chrome.png

Reduced to a width of 15k (18% of original pano), spherical projection but as a partial panorama and it works fine in Facebook. Again, no editing of exif, just straight from Autopano.

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Thank you very much for trying! Interesting results.

I should have said, I rendered to 6% size in order to keep the dimensions below 6000x3000 which I read in facebook's documentation. See: https://facebook360.fb.com/editing-360- ... -metadata/
So size has never been the issue for me.

So you simply rendered at 9% in spherical and it just worked?! Amazing, never did that for me. I'm using the latest version of autopano 4.4.1 on both Windows and Linux, neither worked.

I was going to ask how you rendered the full 360x180 but I've just discovered the option is in the Crop panel!

Annis likes this post.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Very strange.

I'm sending you my 3 panos via wetransfer (to the e-mail associated with your forum account), maybe give them a try?

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 pm

That's interesting - I used exiftool to compare the metadata for your panorama and mine, and they are almost identical except that your images have these extra lines:
Code: Select all
Stitching Software              : Autopano Giga 4.4.1
Use Panorama Viewer             : True
Projection Type                 : equirectangular
Cropped Area Image Height Pixels: 3125
Cropped Area Image Width Pixels : 15000
Full Pano Height Pixels         : 7498
Full Pano Width Pixels          : 15000
Cropped Area Left Pixels        : 0
Cropped Area Top Pixels         : 2505
Source Photos Count             : 23

I wonder why my copy of autopano is not adding that information.

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm

arb wrote:That's interesting - I used exiftool to compare the metadata for your panorama and mine, and they are almost identical except that your images have these extra lines:
Code: Select all
Stitching Software              : Autopano Giga 4.4.1
Use Panorama Viewer             : True
Projection Type                 : equirectangular
Cropped Area Image Height Pixels: 3125
Cropped Area Image Width Pixels : 15000
Full Pano Height Pixels         : 7498
Full Pano Width Pixels          : 15000
Cropped Area Left Pixels        : 0
Cropped Area Top Pixels         : 2505
Source Photos Count             : 23

I wonder why my copy of autopano is not adding that information.

I have realised why I needed to do a lot of juggling around with equirectangular format generations and sizes to get these Facebook postings to display as panoramas and not long strips

The answer links to the comment above

APG produces this information provided you set the output type to "Spherical" but omits it if you select "Cylindrical" ( I didn't check any other projections but my guess is that the exif data will be aomitted for all these types too).

There are no further size restrictions or equirectangular restrictions unless the output is huge. I tested on a 25000 x 5000 pixel sample and it posted to Facebook OK as a panorama. There is also no need for the panorama to be 360 degrees although it won't fully rotate unless it is and you will see some blank image at each end

The main point to note is that if you carry out post-processing on the rendered image (e.g for cropping, altering the colour, contrast or shadows etc or correcting stitching errors) many of these editors write back the exif data with changes. The one I use (paint.net) deletes all the APG information you showed above and this is why could only get the posting to work by fiddling around with the dimensions etc.

All the exif data you showed above is mandatory as far as I can tell but if you have a panorama that has had a lot of post production work done on it, you can manually insert all these exif lines back into the image using exiftoolgui. The fields are listed under the XMP section in exiftool and can be added using the EXIFTOOL DIRECT option and using the -xmp:<exifcolumnname>="value" change syntax

In order to get the right values to insert it is easiest to regenerate the original image using APG without worrying about editing etc and then without making further changes use the exiftool on this work copy to note the values and then transcribe these over to the real panorama exif data

best
Martin

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:14 pm

There's definitely a bug in AutoPano 4.4.1 (both Windows and Linux) because I'm not getting the correct metadata added to the panorama. I've just tried again starting from scratch and checked the result with exiftool - nothing (the lines I quoted above are missing).

Please could you report this as a bug and let me know the bug number. Thanks

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm

arb wrote:There's definitely a bug in AutoPano 4.4.1 (both Windows and Linux) because I'm not getting the correct metadata added to the panorama. I've just tried again starting from scratch and checked the result with exiftool - nothing (the lines I quoted above are missing).

Please could you report this as a bug and let me know the bug number. Thanks

Did you remember to look under the XMP tab where it is to be found (for spherical/equirectangular only)

I was using 4.4.1 APG too

Martin

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 am

I'm using exiftool, there is no "XMP tab".

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 am

arb wrote:I'm using exiftool, there is no "XMP tab".

Perhaps because I am using the GUI version (exiftoolGUI) but I can see:

exiftool.jpg

best
Martin

no avatar
arb

Topic author
Info

by arb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Thank you all for your valuable help.
I am reporting this as a bug in autopano:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36665

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:33 pm

arb wrote:Thank you all for your valuable help.
I am reporting this as a bug in autopano:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36665

I thought I read earlier that you had actually sent all the images involved in rendering this panorama over to Kolor for replication purposes. Kolor ran the images through their version of APG 4.4.1 using the spherical projection and provided the image size is <30000 px wide and the total area < 125 Mpx then the image contains the information to upload to Facebook as a "360" pano (even if not 2:1 or 360 wide)

When I used my own images I found exactly the same thing. It works fine for spherical within the size constraints above but never for cylindrical or planar

I looked at the exif data on mine and saw all the XMP data had been correctly established by APG (as displayed by exiftoolGUI) but bear in mind that many post processing tools will destroy this data so it has to be DIRECTLY out of APG to get it working as a Facebook pano

Therefore this bug MUST be a difference between your set-up and both mine and Kolor's as the tests were identical and used the same APG versions. This will mean the only way of finding the problem is to go through the source code in conjunction with your environment specification to see if there are any other possible causes. A tricky proposition !!

Provided we have all recorded the results accurately, the only other suggestion I can come up with is the use of XMP itself to record the application specific exif data. There is an Adobe XMP package for the use of developers to set this data in apps. It crossed my mind whether you had this on your PC as it might interfere with the use by Kolor. Failing this I am struggling to come up with any explanation

best
Martin