Help with patchy sky  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
Aeriscera

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Help with patchy sky

by Aeriscera » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

I have a pano with a patchy sky and I am not sure what I can do about it. I have been away from the APG scene for a couple of years so I may not be up to speed on recent developments. I'd be very grateful for any pointers to previous threads/documentation/whatever. Also, I have a vague recollection that v. 4 can use OpenCL and that means it can deal with vignetting better? I do have v.4 but I don't think my graphics card supports OpenCL. But I don't think the problem is vignetting in this particular case. Anyway, that's the total of what I think I know.

The image was made with three brackets. Here's what I call the middle, dark and bright layers respectively.

mid.png
+0EV

Clearly there is something wrong with the area around the sun. The dark rectangle is not in the originals so it must be an artefact introduced by APG - or, more likely, my incorrect APG workflow.

dark.png
-2EV

This layer has the smoothest sky but you can still see traces of the issues in the middle and bright layers.

bright.png
+2EV

The anomaly around the sun is even more pronounced here, and you can see what I call "hard edges" where there should be a smooth transition from white to sky blue.

And here is what I managed to do with APG's fusion facility - to the extent I think I know how to use it, it has to be said.

fusion.png
Fused

The area around the sun is kind of OK but the halo of dirty grey sky is not. It occurs to me that this is a result of fusing images with the issues alluded to above.

If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong simply on the basis of what I have presented so far then that would be wonderful. I am happy to try and better understand what is going wrong but some pointers would be useful. One galring hole in my knowledge is that I know nothing about colour equalisation.

I'll be very happy to include more information about the image set and what I consider to be the "right" way to work with "HDR" if someone thinks that's useful.

Thanks!

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: Help with patchy sky

by Panoram1x » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Best workflow for creating HDR panoramic images is as follows:

1- Shoot bracketed (3 or 5 images +/- 2 or 1).

2a- If you shoot RAW, you must process the files (Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw, DxO ...) and correct chromatic aberrations, white balance ... and export / save the result.

2b- If you prefer to shoot JPG directly (Depending on your needs in terms of final quality / reduction of work) you must correct the images before the fusion.

3- Merge stacks into some dedicated software (Photomatix, Aurora, EnfuseGUI ...)

4- Finally you can stitch this fused images in Autopano.

Forget to use Autopano for the RAW process and to perform the fusion of the stacks, their capacities are basic and with a default settings, you will not get all the quality you have captured in your camera.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 am

The sky looks like a vignette problem.

Try to go to the auto region in the edit window, then switch the vignetting control.

greetings from germany
Chris

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 am

Hi..

Seems you did not Stack your images in APG.. Better to use Photomatix anyway... Are you able to share your original images.. No editing at all... RAW better if you have them...

Destiny..