Is the AMD Ryzen a good choice for Autopano Giga?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Is the AMD Ryzen a good choice for Autopano Giga?

by henkw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 pm

I have a Core i7 CPU with 16GB RAM and a cheap 2GB graphics card. I want to make gigapixel panos (less than say 50Gpix), preferably using bracketing/HDR. I have been wanting to upgrade my system for some time and now we have the Ryzen ...

A friend says that the Ryzen is good particularly good if the software you are running makes good use of multithreading; if the program needs high single-core speed then an Intel processor would be better (but a lot more expensive).

I'd like to know if my friend is correct and if 'Yes' then does Autopano Giga's stitching and rendering benefit most from multithreading or single CPU speed? (IIRC editing is handled by the GPU.)

If the Ryzen is a good choice, do people think it is worth getting an 1800 so I can have 64GB RAM? (IIRC motherboards for the 1700 are limited to 32GB).

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: Is the AMD Ryzen a good choice for Autopano Giga?

by olivierbo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello,

Most of the time APG always uses multithreading. That said, we do not have any benchmark regarding the new Ryzen CPU family. APG only uses the GPU for realtime preview when you make some corrections and to open gigapixel .pano files. So, a high-end GPU with 2GB VRAM minimum is recommended, especially for gigapixel panos. The configuration depends on how long you plan to keep the system (3 years or more)?

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Info

by henkw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info about multi/singlethreading. It is difficult to make decisions about system architecture when most of the reviews etc are based on the assumption you want to play games rather than use APG.

I am interested to know in what way the configuration depends on how long I intend to keep the system. Is it because new and better stuff will be available in the next three years so it isn't a good idea to spend a lot of money on a system now? For me the priority is to get a good system as soon as possible. I am not too worried it being future-proof.

To the extent that you are able/willing to offer more advice - and I really appreciate anything I can get - my attention is entirely focused on (1) whether to take a chance on a new processor or not and (2) with respect to using APG and Photoshop on 100GB .psb files, whether it is worth getting a system with 128GB RAM. My budget annoyingly falls between high-end PC and low-end workstation.

GPUs do not interest me because it seems relatively straightforward: I just buy the biggest/fastest I can afford and plug it in, yes?

Thanks very much for your help!

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello,

I absolutely agree with you!

Our softwares always evolve and we try to make the app faster and faster according to the latest technologies (CPU/GPU). I cannot tell you which part of the software will evolve soon, I'm sorry.
Also, I do not know what king of configuration you plan to buy.
For your information, one of our users who made a panorama up to 970 megapixels use two Intel Xeon processors with 3.4 GHz speed for each and 256 GB RAM and two Nvidia Quadro K4000. About 100 hours to render that panorama and about 40 TB for the temp files!
So, that's pretty complex to tell you what to buy exactly. If you make a lot of correction, a high-end GPU with 2 or 4GB is highly recommended if you don't want to wait for hours a preview of the panorama.

Let me know if you have any question.

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Info

by henkw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks again.

I don't know what you mean when you say "I don't know what kind of configuration you plan to buy." I am not sure what sorts of configurations there are to choose from. I want something that runs APG and Photoshop as fast as possible - period. Beyond that I program for fun, mostly doing number-crunching and database stuff. My budget is about £2k for CPU, motherboard and memory. Graphics on top of that so say £2,500 absolute max. Does that give you a better idea of what I am looking for?

It would be fantastic if you could see into the future and tell me exactly what to buy with a money-back guarantee if things go wrong :-) But all I am expecting is informed opinion - guidance at best.

I am puzzled by the example you give. 970Mpix is not a big pano by the today's standards surely? Did you mean 970 GPix? That's astonishing and I would like to see the results - do you have a link? Otherwise I am puzzled by the numbers you give. My machine will make a 2Gpix pano in a few hours.

Having done a bit more research into e.g. Ryzen 1800 vs. i7 6800 and all the apparent problems if you want to use more than two memory slots, I am starting to think that a cost-effective way forward is get anything "reasonable" in terms of CPU/memory and spend my money on a big M.2 drive.

Cheers,

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,

What I mean is the budget? It will help make a choice. As I said, if you plan to make huge panoramas (gigapixel panos), you must have a high-end CPU, a recent dedicated graphic card with 4GB VRAM to avoid long waits when you make a correction or when you open a project file, a SSD, 32GB RAM as a minimum.
The cost also depends on the system you want to use. OSX or Windows. Consider that choosing a PC will let you the possibility to upgrade components, overclock the CPU, ...
You may also consider that the Ryzen processors are not yet fully optimized.

I do not have a link of the 970Gpixels pano as it is a customer private project.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Info

by henkw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Ah, all is now clear - thanks.

Budget for barebones system mentioned above. Windows.

The point you make about the Ryzen is a good one - thanks. It supports my gut feeling that right now I want an Intel CPU. I would like to support AMD because Ryzen is too new.

The question now is how to split my money between CPU cores (6800 or 7700), RAM (32 or 64 or more), SSDs and M.2s. I do accept that it isn't your job to cost my system for me, but if you can give me a steer on this then I will be very grateful. I also accept that there will come a point - maybe reached already - when you think there isn't any more you can offer.

Cheers,

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 am

Regarding CPUs, Intel i7 7700 will be enough (based on a more recent architecture) even if I'am not totally familiar with those 2 CPUs. Consider you can easily overclock it if needed.
Also, a SSD is sufficient and 64GB RAM will be great. No need of a M.2 PCIe SSD.
Hope this helps ;)

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Info

by henkw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Yes, thanks very much

no avatar
henkw

Topic author
Info

by henkw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 pm

FWIW I have come to the conclusion - or strong suspicion - that the answer to my question is "No, not yet". This is based on good evidence that Ryzens are not stable with 64GB RAM. Yes, there are people who have done this but the experience of a friend of a friend who builds machines to test them for a PC magazine is that the systems they are supplied with - official kits from AMD - just die.

Just in case there is anyone who is remotely interested, I have put together this parts list

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Kilgore ... iew=BBGYJx

which comes in at around £3500. Ouch. But if it all comes together then maybe I can sell tickets for people to come and look at it :-)