Perfecting skies in 360 degree aerial panoramas  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
greytail

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Perfecting skies in 360 degree aerial panoramas

by greytail » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Have been struggling to perfect my aerial panoramas and finding that is difficult to get an overhead sky without seams. I how found that taking 26 images with Litchi and a Phantom Pro 3 or 4, I get good results almost every time with APG. But, the sky is always a problem. So am looking for tutorials or advise on making my own skies, either before after the flight. Can this all be done in APG or must you always use Photoshop to overlay a new sky and blend in with Gaussian blur.

In a recent attempt, I recorded 26 images, then immediately after the flight, I pointed my drone up into the sky and twisted around taking 8 sky images. I included these in an APG stitch but APG detected the final 8 images and tried to make a separate pano which looked really bad! So what's the answer there? I hate seeing those seams in the sky!

no avatar
rruiz

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

Re: Perfecting skies in 360 degree aerial panoramas

by rruiz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:25 pm

You don´t need to suffer.
Use photoshop to add a sky and blend them together. I have tried few years ago and there is no way to do it.

greytail likes this post.

no avatar
greytail

Topic author
Info

by greytail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Since posting, I have been experimenting. I purchased a sky on line, but when I went to stretch it to fit my pano, it produced the dreaded pinch effect! So, I am now using a Sony A7rii with a 28mm lens and Sony fisheye adapter that yields at 16mm focal length. I take two rows of 6 images, one at 0 degrees and one at 60 degrees with a Manfrotto 302SPH . All this info is detected by APG. I am starting to collected my own skies with huge files that make huge panos and which need to be resized down rather than up! However, I am still having issues. The jpg version always seems to stitch without any problems, but the DNG does not. The TIFF version is a little better but usually is unable to pick up one image and leaves a hole! I don't necessary mind this if the hole is below the sky. Attache is a pic of a recent failure with 12 TIFs using APG 4.4.
Attachments
seymour sky.jpg

no avatar
greytail

Topic author
Info

by greytail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:52 pm

In addition, I have noticed the following: When APG fails and you try again, it seems to make the results worse, almost if it is caching the previous result. Is this what it is doing? Re the above pano, I redid it in APG 4.2 and the result was perfect...what is going on?