I have over 3,000 unstitched panos. How best to preview?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
bradtem

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

I have over 3,000 unstitched panos. How best to preview?

by bradtem » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 am

I shoot a lot of panos. And of late I just have not had time to build them all. I have over three thousand panos I have shot in the last few years on my disk. Each one is sitting as a collection of images in its own folder. (I wrote a tool that goes through my photos and looks for strings of images with identical parameters in portrait mode taken in quick sequence, those are the panos.)

So the question is, what's the best way to get autopanogiga to do its basic assembly of these panos, then render them in a small size (4K screen width) so that I can go through them and decide which ones are the real winners, and then go in and do the real hard work of rendering a great pano from them?

AutoPanoGiga has batch render, which could help if I had them all assembled. It has the mode where it scans a folder looking for possible panoramas and puts them in the workspace where you can then, by hand, tell it to process them all and then save them all. But that certainly would not be used to do a thousand at a time. Even 100 at a time would probably eat a lot of memory. It seems the best plan would be a way to script it so that on the command line I can tell APG -- "Assemble (and render) the panorama from the images in this folder" (or listed in this file.) Then I could leave the thing overnight building the panos and batch render. But I don't see any command line options.

Some of the import plugins might work -- is there documentation on these file formats? But even so, how can my shell script tell APG that on this invocation, it should work on the next job?

Any suggestions? It is a shame to shoot all these panos and not get them built. In fact, these days when I shoot a pano, I often use the Sony automatic pano mode to also shoot the scene, so that I have a quick and dirty lower res pano of the scene to have in my archives.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

Re: I have over 3,000 unstitched panos. How best to preview

by Destiny » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:58 am

Hi.. Bridge.. Short by time and date..

Destiny...

no avatar
bradtem

Topic author
Info

by bradtem » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 am

I don't have Adobe Bridge, but my brief reading of that plugin does not suggest it would do this. Doesn't run on Linux anyway, does it?

no avatar
bradtem

Topic author
Info

by bradtem » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 am

Any other suggestions? It seems to me a couple of simple command line options on APG might be quite easy to implement. Examples could include:

a) A simple way to specify a group of photos to process -- either providing a folder, a set of filenames, or just an autopano APW workspace file which contains those in XML.
b) An option to tell the program to, upon running, execute some action -- like doing detect, render and save.
c) An option to tell it to quit after doing so.

Now it would be nice to add other options. For example, I don't want to render at a fixed percentage of full size, I want to render always enough to match my monitor for review, but no need to go giant on my gigapixel panoramas. Perhaps some of these options can be stored in the workspace file?

Any other options? I guess there are tools to automate GUI software but that's a kludge.