canon 5D mk iv - cr2 files not recognized  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
phgjvdv

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

canon 5D mk iv - cr2 files not recognized

by phgjvdv » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 am

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I'm probably missing something but autopano giga does not seem to be able to read the cr2 files of my 5d mkiv. No problem at all with the cr2 files of my 5d sr.

like lightroom, should I wait for an autopano update? is there a plug in available?

Thanks for the help

phillip

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: canon 5D mk iv - cr2 files not recognized

by gkaefer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:17 pm

in short yes. Will not take long until the raws will be supported too.
But ... working with raw files in APG I think makes your live easy on the one side of the medal but does not give you the best possible quality on other hand.
As stated in many forum posts by kolor staff, autopano software is not a raw converter and finally cant do the same good job than the camera raw tools or phase one, lightroom & co can do for you. Using tiff 16 bit in autopano coming from external raw converter will give you better panos finally.

no avatar
phgjvdv

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by phgjvdv » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:06 am

thanks gkaefer

so my current workflow is the best - convert to tiff 16 with my canon tools and then in APG.
it is just that these coversions are slow
what windows machine are you using? I'm using a surfacebook i7, which is largely OK for normal lightroom things but not for apg

thanks for letting me know

p

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 420 posts
Info

by Annis » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:20 am

As Gkaefer said, because it's a new camera, our camera database is not yet updated with the latest RAW specifications so they can't be decoded properly.

Inputting RAW images directly into Autopano serves no purpose whatsoever other than slowing down the detecting process because Autopano has to convert the images to TIFF, with very average decoding. Autopano is not RAW decoding software and only does so in the most basic way possible.

If you don't want to decode your RAW images, set your camera to shoot in JPG or TIFF directly.

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... _images.3F

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:38 pm

phgjvdv wrote:thanks gkaefer

what windows machine are you using? I'm using a surfacebook i7, which is largely OK for normal lightroom things but not for apg

thanks for letting me know

p

my old PC was/is a Dell Studio XPS with finally 16GB RAM and a Nvidia GTX260 with win7,8,8.l and now windows 10 pro.
(used the Dell for panos shot with my Canon EOD 400D. 2015 I changed to 5dsr)

I was not happy with APG 2.x performance with small gigapixels shot with the 400D on this machine with 24 hours and longer rendering....
... it took me one year to plan the hardware and more important saving the money to start with ;-). APG 4.x brought massive performance boost and another year later I started with following hardware. Since 2016 I build the synology and all 4-6 months I expand it with an additional 8TB WD red pro:

I use a workstation motherboard from ASUS with 128GB RAM & 1 Xeon 2680v2 and one Nvidia 980TI
CPU is watercooled, GPU currently not watercooled (currently aircooled with 35degree Celsius)
(max would/could be 2 xeons with 512GB RAM)
a corsair obsidian 900D tower
4 SSD raids (RAID1) for temp, data and OS partitions
for saving original images ;-) (no backup replacement, I know):
one synology DS2450+ with btrfs and SHR2 (2redundant drives) currently equipped with 3x8TB and 4x3TB (resulting in 15TB available storage, 6TB are used for redundancy and 15TB are unused currently).
By adding more 8TB drives this ratio will get better ;-). Finally I can replace the 3TB with 8TB drives...) and add an expansion unit with additional 12 drive bays could be possible too.
the synology has 4 gigabit Ethernets supporting LACP (sadly windows 10 support for LACP was dropped one year ago)
LG31MU97 4K monitor
and for 4K a must: a laser mouse with 800-8000dpi from razor (mostly set to 1800dpi)

aaah most important: I use a panoneed head in combination with a promote device (which I recently got back from repair - after 6 years the promote touchpad Mode button failed - perfect repair service...)

Georg