Can Autopano work for this?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 13 posts
Info

Can Autopano work for this?

by jimbee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:46 am

We're looking for a way to showcase some elaborate painted murals on the web. But unlike a typical panorama of scenes such as sweeping majestic landscapes, here we're only dealing with works that are up to 15 feet square. My thought is that using a tool such as our Gigapan Epic Pro and taking a grid of images from a fixed spot would not work as well as a system that would enable us to physically move the camera, creating a mosaic of images. Anyone do this kind of work?

Finally, could Autopano create output that would let www viewers see the whole image, then click to zoom in to see fine details?

Appreciate any input...

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: Can Autopano work for this?

by Panoram1x » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:08 am

Hello,

Although Autopano part of the basis that the camera rotates without moving and explores a spherical world around,
in cases where the relative movement between the camera and the object is a parallel displacement (at constant distance) it is possible to cheat Autopano and the result will be good if the photographed subject is a flat surface (Otherwise we will find serious problems of parallax)

Follow these links and see if this solve your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32642
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31717#p182669
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055

You can also take a look at Microsoft ICE (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... jects/ice/). This free software for panoramic stitching which, being much simpler (less options) that Autopano, does have the possibility of joining a flat surface tiles

I wish it help you

jimbee likes this post.

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:17 am

Thanks much for the links-- lots of good info there.

Obviously I'm not the first to inquire about a way to accomplish this kind of stitch which causes me to wonder why the developers of Autopano don't incorporate such a feature into their application? Given there's some work-arounds that can help I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult.

Panoram1x wrote:Hello,

Although Autopano part of the basis that the camera rotates without moving and explores a spherical world around,
in cases where the relative movement between the camera and the object is a parallel displacement (at constant distance) it is possible to cheat Autopano and the result will be good if the photographed subject is a flat surface (Otherwise we will find serious problems of parallax)

Follow these links and see if this solve your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32642
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31717#p182669
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055

You can also take a look at Microsoft ICE (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... jects/ice/). This free software for panoramic stitching which, being much simpler (less options) that Autopano, does have the possibility of joining a flat surface tiles

I wish it help you

no avatar
Nanard

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by Nanard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:22 am

[quote="jimbee"]
Obviously I'm not the first to inquire about a way to accomplish this kind of stitch which causes me to wonder why the developers of Autopano don't incorporate such a feature into their application? Given there's some work-arounds that can help I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult.
/quote]

In Autopano pro, you can try to set the focal distance to a very high value (2000 mm) and with Autopano Giga (not pro) , you have an option called 'multiple view points' .
Have a look also at :
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... _stitching
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... p_Settings
Bernard

no avatar
Nanard

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by Nanard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:25 am

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Nanard wrote:And I forgot that one :
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... production

Bernard

Great-- much appreciated. Definitely informative for what we envision doing.