Autopano stereoscopic stitch tutorial  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
iamconan

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano stereoscopic stitch tutorial

by iamconan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:08 am

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for working with stereoscopic footage in Autopano/Giga for first time

Thanks.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: Autopano stereoscopic stitch tutorial

by olivierbo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello,

I do not have one, unfortunately but you can find some simple tutos on the web using Gimp or Photoshop for instance, to create a stereo pano.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
erikgraham

Info

by erikgraham » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10 am

Any update on this? Did you ever find a good tutorial?

I managed to render a 3D stereo video using the ffmpeg workflow in the docs. My stitching is not great, but the 3D effect is excellent (Oculus Rift, Win10, GeForce 1080).

Any recommended tutorials or tips on 3D stereo stitching would be appreciated.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:57 am

Hello,

Have you had a look at our dedicated section of the documentation regarding the stereo? http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Autopano_Video_-_Stereo_(3D)
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
iamconan

Topic author
Info

by iamconan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 am

@olivierbo currently getting this
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.08.15.png

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:46 am

Maybe you can click the Documentation index menu at the top right of the page?

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
erikgraham

Info

by erikgraham » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:59 pm

olivierbo wrote:Hello,

Have you had a look at our dedicated section of the documentation regarding the stereo? http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Autopano_Video_-_Stereo_(3D)
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Olivier

Indeed I have. There are 3 issues with that documentation:

First, the screen shots and options described do not match the user interface of the current version of AVP. For example, in the current version of AVP, there is no interocular slider or convergence setting.

Second, it is more of a reference document, not a tutorial. It's useful, but I think we were looking for a tutorial on stereo 3D (something like your AVP workflow tutorial). It doesnt have to be a professional tutorial created by the Kolor team. Even links to user created tutorials would be helpful.

Third, it doesn't discuss how Autopano Giga does or doesn't fit into the workflow for Stereo stitching.

no avatar
allenh

Info

by allenh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 pm

To add an expression of interest to this discussion: I've been trying for a few weeks now to generate a stereo 3d panoramic IMAGE (not video), and am currently trying to coerce autoPano into helping me stitch the images. I've also run into the issue noted above, that the documentation about this is spotty, oftentimes not entirely in English, refers to previous or outmoded autoPano versions, and in general isn't as helpful as I'd hope.

To help share how I'm capturing the images themselves, and my overall workflow:
--A use a Really Right Stuff pano head, and offset my camera first to the left of the nodal point, then to the right, by half average interocular distance. I shoot two complete, bracketed panorama sets from each of these perspectives, knowing full well that there is parallax (which is the point).

--I merge my bracketed sets in to 32-bit EXR images (what Kolor calls "HDR"), then try to stitch each 'eye' panorama in Autopano. This step is proving very difficult; it's made much more difficult by the fact that my dataset has lots of contrast between near/far things in the pano (which, again, is intentional...I wanna see if I can get this working in a worst-case scenario).

Determining which knobs to tweak in AutoPano Giga is completely trial and error so far, because of the aforementioned unreliability of documentation. Might anyone at Kolor have advice about strategies I might take for this?