Blown out Windows  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Liked in: 23 posts
Info

Blown out Windows

by ERR » Tue May 24, 2016 2:32 pm

How can I mask out windows to favor perfect exposure of a bracketed images? I've never had the need for it but now I do and can't seem to figure it out with the masking tools? I'm trying to select images in the layer panel and use the mask tool with no luck?

Thanks,
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: Blown out Windows

by olivierbo » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure I understood correctly. Can you give me more details about what you want to do exactly? You can add screenshots as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu May 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi Olivier,

I have shot an indoor room with a very large "picture window" in the middle of a wall which is the only "natural light" source and is out of the tonal/contrast range of the room as a whole. The outdoor view is very important to the client as it is a major selling point so I need it to be perfectly exposed meaning the room is perfectly lit but so is the outside view.

To capture the range I needed 6 exposures which I grouped in APG (See Image below)
Wndow hdr.JPG

When I bring in the images to APG I was expecting I could use the mask tool to "reveal" the perfectly exposed window thus blending it into the rest of the perfectly exposed pano but I can't figure out how to mask out the over exposed frames? All I can produce is the "perfectly exposed" room with "blown out" windows even with the stack of 6 brackets (see below). As you can see the blending is less than optimal. The window is "blown out" and the floor exposures can't blend correctly because I closed the shades in 3 exposures and left them open in 3.
Wndow 1a.JPG

Is there a way to reveal the correctly exposed window image by individually masking the other window images out (other than photoshop which I have already done)? I tried selecting the individual images in the layer panel hoping I could mask each individual image but I couldn't figure that out even with research. Is that possible?
Layers Panel.JPG

Here is what I need to achieve in APG (this image was done in PS). Can I achieve the same result using 6 bracketed images and the (masking) tool in APG or am I "stuck" using PS?
window PS.JPG

Thanks,

Ed
Attachments
Wndow 1.JPG
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 pm

It doesn't look like you used the Fusion Tool on these. This is what controls the exposure of different parts of the bracketed image set not the masking tool

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu May 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Oh ok. I'll look it up. Thanks.

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu May 26, 2016 4:47 pm

marzipano wrote:It doesn't look like you used the Fusion Tool on these. This is what controls the exposure of different parts of the bracketed image set not the masking tool

OK I checked off Fusion in the blend settings and gave it a try but nothing significant happened. It doesn't look any different (actually worse in the floor area). Any other ways to bring the best exposure out manually in AGP and not have to Photoshop the window back in?
Wndow 1 Fusion.JPG

Thanks,

Ed

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Did you actually run the fusion tool itself though during your editing ?

Your screenshot doesn't look as though fusion has actually been carried out

Item marked on a copy of your screenshot

best
Martin
Attachments
fusion.jpg

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri May 27, 2016 1:07 am

Hi Martin,

Even with the Fusion as you described I still have no luck in bringing back the windows with properly exposed images in a stack of 6.
Wndow 1 Fusion NO GO.JPG

Here's a link to the files> https://goo.gl/yYFmCN Maybe somebody can show me that this actually can be achieved in AGP without photoshop? I'm just not getting it or expecting too much? :/

Thanks,

Ed

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 am

I just downloaded your images and put them into APG

What I see is that you are not doing the bracketing correctly

Your download file had 5 bracketed sets of 3 images each but not all with anything like the same exposures in each set

You are meant to use identical sets of exposure/aperture/ISO in each set to submit to APG fusion (e.g F5.6/125 ISO + 1/25, 1/100, 1/400 for +/- 2EV bracketing) Your samples had different exposures in each set

Your 1st 2 sets of 3 images can be treated as a single set of 6 (but with a gap in the middle) as the 1st 2 sets were the same image but the 1st set was 1/800, 1/400, 1/200 and the second set of 3 was 1/30, 1/15, 1/8.

If you use the stack processing (not bracketed sets) and set the stack size=6 the 1st image works OK on its own but none of the other sets have any exposure settings other than about 1/15 to 1/4 hence the blown out windows

If you use the same method as for the first two sets (when treated as a single stack of 6) on the full pano then I think APG will treat you nicer !

best
Martin
Attachments
[Group 1]-DSC_0139_DSC_0150-6 images.jpg
b1.jpg

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Ok gotcha. The exposures were not consecutive as pointed out. I was under the impression that I could just add additional brackets (even with a "gap") for one set and AGP would allow me to "mask" out the areas. My bad. I will expose the way you indicated next time I shoot. At least I can PS the images as needed.

Thanks for the explanation.

Kind Regards,

Ed

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi!

I strongly suggest to process the bracketed shots FIRST in Photomatix by tonemapping them to
TIFFs or even JPGs and THEN stitch them.
You´ll achieve much bettrer controll over what you do.

You´ll need no masking at all then.

Klaus

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks Klaus. I'll check it out.