Can APP/APG handle planar panorama tiles?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Can APP/APG handle planar panorama tiles?

by stadh » Sat May 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi there,
in a photographers' meeting yesterday a colleague asked me, if "my" stitching tool, which is Autopano Giga, could handle panorama tiles that are not shot from one point (i.e. camera on a tripod, spherical/cylindrical shoot mode), but there the photographer moved in parallel to the wall he shot (could we call this "planar shoot mode?).

Problem: There was no way to take a spherical / cylindrical panorama from that wall, because the maximum distance he could achieve to the wall was about 2 meters. So he took the camera and moved himself with the camera in front of the wall. Actually, from an algorithmic perspective, the simplest kind of panorama tile stitching I would guess.

Is there a way to stitch such panos with Autopano? Or would you recommend another software solution?

Thanks!

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Can APP/APG handle planar panorama tiles?

by Destiny » Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 am

Hi.. Planner mode will still create tiles if the image is big enough.. Also, you can use APG to stitch your image but it will need features to achieve it..

Destiny....

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Info

by stadh » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Destiny,
what is Planner Mode? (I assume you don't refer to the planner more of the Emacs editor, do you?)
And what features do you mean?

Thanks,
Daniel

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 am

Hi.. Understanding your needs might have confused me a bit... So I hope I am not saying something that is not true.. Planar Mode are images are Flat.. Sorry I used the wrong spelling before..; where the entire rig/camera has been moved.... rather than rotating the camera since that might not work on such a closeup shoot.. or even using a Fisheye Lens would not work

Regards to features, meaning any patterns, photos, objects etc located within the scene where APG can use to stitch each image to the next.. Otherwise the APG will not know where to arrange the photos.. APG will still create Slices of the images for editing.. Tiles is probably not the right word..

Destiny...

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Info

by stadh » Sun May 08, 2016 11:17 am

Ah, sorry, Planar. I should have guessed that you mean that! (Too tired in the night).
I guess the original pictures have enough structure / features that stitching software will find reference points. (Otherwise it would be too boring to create a panorama of that wall anyway ;-) - I believe it was a wall with some paintings on it).

Okay, but: How to I use planar mode in Autopano (Pro / Giga) as a SOURCE setting? I think I have foud it as a destination projection setting, but how can I tell APG to use planar mode for the source?

Thanks,
Daniel

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi Daniel,

AFAIK Autopano does not have a method to deal directly with images on a surface and moving the camera instead of rotating... But...

... If all the photos are taken at the same distance from the subject and with the camera axis absolutely perpendicular to it, you can use the same procedure that I use to stitch images from a scanner.

You can try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055

Obviously this will only work properly if the photographed subject is flat, because you'll have a serious problem of parallax if you're photographing something three-dimensional.

Another thing you can add to the "method", to correct the optical distortion in the images with Photoshop, DxO Optics or some other software with this capability. This is not recommended to assemble panoramic images in Autopano, but it will make the images even more similar to a scanned image, and for this is useful for me.

Ah! One more thing ... In my experience this system works very well, as long as the detail in the images allows detection of control points, with a small overlap between them.

Let me know if this has been useful.

Jordi

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Info

by stadh » Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Thank you Jordi, this is vey helpful. I'll pass your hint on to my colleague and recommend him to test the procedure with Autopano demo version. Using a very high focal length as an approximization for planar mode is a good idea. (I should have had the idea myself ;-) )

Daniel