Autopano Giga Useless For True Planar Stitches  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
JasonCA

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano Giga Useless For True Planar Stitches

by JasonCA » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:35 am

I've about given up on Autopano Giga for doing simple planar stitches. Instead, Autopano must always WARP the image in some way. But why and is there any solution to this?

Because all images seem to be projected, I don't believe Autopano Giga can do simple side by side stitches of images.

Using a manual lens, I have taken true planar photos by moving the camera horizontally only without rotating the camera. I've done this also with moving the camera vertically along a flat surface of multiple documents (using a planar rig). Even though the photos are truly side by side shots (in a planar motion), Autopano Giga will warp the photos. They never come out flat. Is this because my manual lens doesn't provide anything to the camera? I have turned Lens distortion optimization off in Autopano, but still it doesn't help.

I just wish I can have Autopano Giga stitch pictures together without having to warp the image at all. I just want Autopano Giga to take my photos, offset them so they overlap, and then stitch without warping each image every other way. Simple..... overlap each image.... determine the stitch points....and crop the images where they overlap. Why is this too much to ask for?

Is there a way to force Autopano Giga to not warp or distort the pictures?

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: Autopano Giga Useless For True Planar Stitches

by Panoram1x » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello

These are two possibilities that I have ever used (both together and also separately) to stitch scanned images of maps.

1- Before launching the detection click "Group settings" and select the "Optimization" tab, check "optimization stages".
Now uncheck "First lens distortion" and "Final lens distortion".

Lens Distort_01.jpg

2- Prior to detection, click "image properties" and there manually you must enter an high value for focal length (1000 mm, 2000 mm or even more).

Image Prop_01.jpg

I hope this will be useful.

Toastedspider likes this post.

no avatar
JasonCA

Topic author
Info

by JasonCA » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:44 am

Thank you Panoram1x!

I've been trying to figure out why I can't get Planar panorama's for a few weeks with Autopano Giga. Very frustrating where I wasn't getting anywhere until now ... well sort of ...

It reports that there is no exif data (even though there really is). And, I didn't know you can view the image properties where you can set the focal length. Yes, setting the focal length to 1000 improved the detection quite a bit. When the detection works, they are now planar and is impressive when it works. This is because I am using a manual lens and it was using a focal length of around 50mm. I

However, I have to admit, Autopano Giga really fails at when it comes to stitching blue skies, white clouds, ...etc. Autopano is clueless in being able to stitch those. Instead, I end up with large holes in my pano. So Autopano Giga is not consistent.

On the other hand, this is where Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE), has a better detection engine when dealing with planar stitches in row and column fashion. Let's say I take a 20 x 40 (rows,columns). With Microsoft ICE, I can actually specify the layout and ICE really does a fantastic job at planar stitching those EVEN with blue skies, white clouds, really dark images. So to me, ICE is really exciting and demonstrates that Autopano Giga could be improved. And ICE is free, which is a nice offering on Microsoft's part.

I think this is one of Autopano's failings: the lack of being able to set how many expected row and columns and for detection to be done via overlapping. So, I'm actually quite disappointed with Autopano Giga since this to me seems to be a lacking feature, but one of the things Autopano should be able to do at its very basis. They should have an interface where you enter how many rows and columns are in the pano to help the detection engine. But nope.....not a a feature in Autopano. Lame!

My problem with Microsoft ICE, is that it can't handle very large panoramas. For example, if you ask Microsoft ICE to stitch a final 9.84 Gigapixel image, it requires a crazy 48 TB of drive space. Whereas, Autopano's has many more output options and seems to require less drive space. In fact, once you get up to the 6 Gigapixel plus final image size, your only option to output is Adobe Photoshop (PSB).

So Microsoft ICE actually has better detection for M x N images. Although ICE works well, I can't output my final panorama without drastically reducing the Gigapixel size. So I'm stuck with two products that can't really do what I want.

I like Autopano's options and it's quite capable if detection was improved. Microsoft ICE would benefit from other ways to export a pano that requires less drive space. So it seems they both have their trade-offs. I think the technology is still not there. =(

no avatar
JasonCA

Topic author
Info

by JasonCA » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 am

Essentially, this is what I am looking for. However, there is no serpentine image order!!! Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE) has serpentine. Of course, you'd think Autopano Giga would add that too, but NOOOO. I realize this is part of Gigapan, which means Gigapan probably doesn't do serpentine hardware wise. Still.... ability to handle grid layouts in Autopano Giga is lacking. What a disappointment!

But that is closer to what I am looking for feature wise (ability to set row and columns on Generals tab). I wonder how the detection algorithm would be any different. Notice there is no Overlap percentages to set anywhere. Again, in ICE you can set an overlap percentage.
Attachments
AutopanoGigaImport.png

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

I agree, ICE has an import module that is very useful, but despite that ICE often does a proper job, is a fully automated software and if the results are not as wished no options to correct it.

Another recent post (http://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31236) has reminded me RasterStitch, this is a program dedicated to the union of flat images.

You can have a look ....http://www.vextrasoft.com/rasterstitch.htm

no avatar
OvinceZ

Info

by OvinceZ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 am

Thanks for the tip re Microsoft Ice. I couldn't stitch a skyscraper with either Photoshop or Autopano Giga. Talk about disappointing. Both yielded a bent tower! See post below.

Microsoft Ice did a great job.

Vince
Attachments
Q1 Bps.jpg
Last edited by OvinceZ on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
OvinceZ

Info

by OvinceZ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:44 am

Here is the panorama Autopano Giga just produced. Not very pleased with this I can assure you.
Attachments
Q1 3crop.jpg

no avatar
greatmasters

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by greatmasters » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Any other ideas on this? I have the same issue and it would be very useful to be able to tell the software how many rows and columns there are and the path that the camera took -- each shot "tile" has it's own viewpoint. I want to make a planar mosaic out of hundreds of images.