Stitching Issues AGP 4 (and 3) Expert eyes needed.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Liked in: 23 posts
Info

Stitching Issues AGP 4 (and 3) Expert eyes needed.

by ERR » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 pm

I recently photographed a substantial tour for a company and ran into some (non fatal) but problematic stitching issues.

Scenario: All pans shot hdr -1, 0, +1 with the Pan head leveled for each unique spin> Level was checked and rechecked. The tripod/camera was not moved or touched during any shots except for the actual spinning (tripod not moved).

The first example image which is 12 bracketed images exhibits alignment issues as indicated by arrows
1_Bathroom_12Exposures.jpg

The second example image is of the same sequence but it is unstacked and only 4 images with the same exposure value were stitched. The result is no visible stitching error.
2_Bathroom_4Exposures.jpg

No amount of masking that I attempted corrected the issue. Admittedly I am still "new" with only about 500 or so individual panos shot, and I've never had the need to do too much masking, but I should be able to correct this issue with selective masking?

I'm aware that the simple answer is that somehow something shifted during the shots however this is a paid job for which I am always extra vigilant. The exposures were taken to ensure that any camera vibration subsided in between the bracketed shots.

I can create a complete tour without any stitching anomalies and the client will love it but I really need to figure out what is happening.

Source files-https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayqigdfggf9u6ur/RogersPhotography_AGP4_Stissues.zip?dl=0

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 133 posts
Info

Re: Stitching Issues AGP 4 (and 3) Expert eyes needed.

by olivierbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 am

Hello Ed,

So, after testing many different solutions, Autopano considers there are only bad control points between pictures. So you always get something weird. It works if you unstack the pictures or if you use Autopano 3.0.8 (former algorithms).
To sum up, this is a bug!
We will keep you informed.

Thanks for your trust.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Thank you Oliver.

I think I remember having a couple more pano stacks from this job which exhibit this bug. If you need the files I can post a link. Just let me know.

I look forward to the patch.

Thanks,

Ed
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Ed,

Yes, please. If you have 2 more different panoramas we will test them once the bug is fixed.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 pm

I'll try to find them by the end of the day or tomorrow ;)

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Perfect!!

Olivier

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi Olivier,

Here's a link to another set I have issues with. The issues are in doorway leading outside at the top and bottom. It's pretty clear. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ohrxzy8ou6msq7/RogersPhotography_AGP4_Stissues-2.zip?dl=0

Sorry about spelling your name in the previous posts.

Cheers,

Ed

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Ed,

Don't worry about my name and thanks for the pictures.

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Oliver ;-)

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Olivier,

Here is another set of images that won't stitch correctly -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytobnu0an5ti8 ... 3.zip?dl=0

Thanks,

Ed

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:13 am

Hello ERR,

This is what I have achieved with your three sets of images.

Z38-4[DSC_0354-HDR(3)]_resize.jpg

Z39-4[DSC_0747-HDR(3)]_resize.jpg

Z40-4[DSC_0723-HDR(3)]_resize.jpg

My workflow is as follows:
1- Merge each stack before Autopano. In this case, I used SNS-HDR.
3- Upload images into Autopano and before launching the detection ...
4- Crop images.
I've noticed that the central point of the cut does not match the center of the image.
Crop_01.jpg

5- Detection
To correct much as possible the initial results they have not been good I've done three things
6- Add control points mainly in the upper and lower ends of the images (ceiling and floor when possible)
7- Change the default settings for optimization (see picture)
Sett_01.jpg

8- Finally it was necessary to use some masks to achieve this result.

I do not know what creates the problems ...
I think you should check the setting of the LPP (We know the problem of fish eyes in this issue) and if possible, try another lens (never has been necessary for me to optimize the offset)

Kind regards,

Jordi

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi Jordi,

Thanks for taking the time to work this out and explain the procedure(s) you used.

Since I was working on a deadline I just took the 4 "normally" exposed images from each of the "problem" stacks and used them. Although I did loose a bit of highlight detail, everything stitched fine and turned out commercially acceptable.

It's curious that this issue arose in only 3 as all of the other 28 panos I shot (with the same Sigma 8mm) for this job did not exhibit this problem. As I mentioned, the panohead/camera level was spot and a wireless remote was used to release the shutter so there was no chance of the tripod shifting.

Since Olivier from Kolor confirmed that it is indeed a bug and that stitching it with APG 3.0.8 worked fine, I'm not too worried about it for future shoots as I am sure they will patch it in the upcoming versions.

Thank you again for your help.

Happy Holiday's and Peace,

Ed

no avatar
klausesser2

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by klausesser2 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 am

ERR wrote:Thoughts?

Yes.

Given your lens/camera/head-setup is well set and also your application´s preset this shoots
must stitch in a few minutes.

I downloaded your shots - the stitch seems perfect (aside from being too bright because of the messy fusion-tool).

So i guess if you have issues it´s the APG-presets.

best, Klaus

PS: I used all your shots stacked and stitched them in APG 3.0.7. But i refuse ti spend hours messing around
with the fusion-tool . . . so the rendering shows overexposed highlights.
I would prefer processing the shots in Photomatix - only cared for the stitching.

PS2: opening the shots in Photomatix show that your highlights are totally washed-out. You need to take mor care on
your measurings! It´s better to lighten up shadows than to dampen washed-out highlights!

[Group 0]-DSC_0352_DSC_0363-12 imagesB.jpg

www.klausesser-interaktiv.de

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the insight.

Actually the metering of highlights was dead on:
Meridian-Manor-Test-crop.jpg

Looks like your version "ignored" the -1 exposure completely because in my rendering the highlights are within the limits.

Jordi's example and the crop I attached confirms this.

In the end the client "loves" the tour (which in this case is really all that matters) and I'm in the process of finalizing it in PTP.

While I've been shooting pro for over 25 years I'm relatively "new" to shooting hdr panos and I'm still learning the "in's and out's" of this software and appreciate any input from more experienced users.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Happy Holidays,

Ed