Gigapixel Horizon Problem  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
DJW

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Gigapixel Horizon Problem

by DJW » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi All

I am working with a set of 900+ images shot 51 floors up a tower in London (Shot on Seitz VRDrive 2). It was from the roof, but the building has a comms mast that prevents an unbroken single 360 view. I now have a stitch, but cannot level the horizon...

My approach has been to shoot from 4 locations, North, South, East and West. One was shot as a full 360° to give me a canvas and XML file, the other 3 locations were 180° views. I've then replaced images in the 360°canvas from the central 90° sectors of the other three image sets... In order to remove the Comms mast and building. There is parallax, but from 51 floors up and with a 60° vertical FoV its not too bad. I fully realise that this is not ideal... But sometimes we have to be inventive.. ;-)

After doing the above, I have the following in APG 4.2.0RC2:

I've create two layers, for above and below the horizon. The Sky layer has no links, just images placed in the XML array, this seems to work fine. My problem is with the cityscape below the horizon, specifically getting the horizon level. My Scopes settings look like this:

And the CPs look like this:

The two areas of poor stitching are where there are few / no CPs in the River... Is this causing the Horizon issue maybe..?

I've tried to level the horizon with the usual APG tools, with no luck at all. Setting several verticals does very little to the undulating horizon.

So my question is does anyone have any thoughts how else to approach the problem, any ways to force the horizon..?

On their own the Panos are looking OK, this is a rough stitch of a 160° view:

http://viewer-staging.vtserver.panoramic-imaging.com/pi/sample-viewer.aspx?pano_id=769

I'm grateful for any constructive comments, if I need to post additional info or screengrabs, please just let me know.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

Re: Gigapixel Horizon Problem

by klausesser » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi!

Use the "vertical lines tool". Draw some vertical lines and connet their yellow-doted lines together along the wavy horizont.
Hard to guess - but i think you´ll need 10 or more verticals to connect their yellow-dotted lines alltogether following the wavy horizont smoothly.

Then hit "enter". Most likely your horizon will be straight. If it doesn´t use more lines.

Klaus

DJW

Topic author
Info

by DJW » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi Klaus

Thanks for your response. I've tried that approach and it usually works for me too, I find it less accurate on larger projects, for some reason on this project the result is minimal change in the curves of the horizon (the result is not perceptibly different):

On other projects when this occurs I've edited the rows of images using the 'Move Images Mode', then edited the 'Location Pitch' to be similar, then set the 'Location - Roll' to 0, this results in a perfect horizontal row which can be tweaked with CP Editor giving good results. But there are a large number of images in this case and I'd rather not do that if anyone has a better way... ;-) Is there maybe a way to batch set the Pitch and Roll params that I've not yet found..? (Using Transformation just shifts the images, rather than set Pitch and Roll params to same numbers.)
Best regards David.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:45 am

DJW wrote:Hi Klaus

Thanks for your response. I've tried that approach and it usually works for me too, I find it less accurate on larger projects, for some reason on this project the result is minimal change in the curves of the horizon (the result is not perceptibly different):

On other projects when this occurs I've edited the rows of images using the 'Move Images Mode', then edited the 'Location Pitch' to be similar, then set the 'Location - Roll' to 0, this results in a perfect horizontal row which can be tweaked with CP Editor giving good results. But there are a large number of images in this case and I'd rather not do that if anyone has a better way... ;-) Is there maybe a way to batch set the Pitch and Roll params that I've not yet found..? (Using Transformation just shifts the images, rather than set Pitch and Roll params to same numbers.)

Hi David!

I guess it´s just too many lines! Try about 5: one on every "top" and one in ecery "valley". I think you followed the profile way too smoothly . . ;)

best, Klaus

DJW

Topic author
Info

by DJW » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Klaus

Thanks again for your assistance. I've tried just a few verticals (5), and many (30), they're just not working with this image. I agree with you, they usually work perfectly. I'll let you know if I get a result.

Thanks
David.