Color correction not better than in 3.7   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Color correction not better than in 3.7

by sebs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:57 am

I have some pictures, with big sky color differences (from light to saturated blue), and even in the version 4, I can't get a proper correction result.
With color correction, the sky which was light, gets a darker blue, but then the sky part at the right, which was dark blue becomes like "turquoise", which is not nice.
Here is the result. If needed, I can post somewhere the tiff files used for this panorama.
Attachments
[Group-1]-140818IMGP4893-_LR_140818IMGP4900-_LR-8-images.jpg

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Color correction not better than in 3.7

by Destiny » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 am

Hi... Well I would totally disagree that V4 is not better than 3.7.. In fact V4 is the best its ever been.. Are you able to share your images for testing.. There are features that you need to use correctly in order to get the best out of APG..

APG V4 does a great job of blending sky but only up to a point. If you have not used appropriate cameras settings it will do the best it can with poor image capture..

Destiny...

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 pm

sebs wrote:I have some pictures, with big sky color differences (from light to saturated blue), and even in the version 4, I can't get a proper correction result.
With color correction, the sky which was light, gets a darker blue, but then the sky part at the right, which was dark blue becomes like "turquoise", which is not nice.
Here is the result. If needed, I can post somewhere the tiff files used for this panorama.

You just need to get used to the renewed interface for the CC. It works really well if you handle
it correctly!

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm

klausesser wrote:
sebs wrote:I have some pictures, with big sky color differences (from light to saturated blue), and even in the version 4, I can't get a proper correction result.

You just need to get used to the renewed interface for the CC. It works really well if you handle
it correctly!

best, Klaus

PS - on the other side the "fusion" tool seems not to work at all . .

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi sebs,
I can only echo what's already been said - the colour correction in 4.0 seems to me to be a lot better than 3.7 but you have to play around a bit with the different way of using the settings to get the best results

The blending level slider in the edit in preview mode is still there in 4.0 and setting to 0 is the strongest blending (although I doubt it is strong enough to fix this issue !)

I haven't tested this recently but I noticed from your sample that the colour changes either side of the big tree and it may be that APG is treating this as two separate areas, I found once before that doing the colour blending BEFORE cropping can produce better results if the sky forms 1 contiguous area in the uncropped version (haven't tried testing this for ages though!)

Like Destiny said, if you put the real images on Dropbox and publish a public url in the forum you will find many people will have a go at trying to improve for you

best
Martin

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Fusion works fine, well.... fine but you need to wait for it do do its thing, you just need to activate it then wait. Its not automatic.. You need to go to Edit and it will show the fusion option.. Then tick that in the render.. Often though, the preview does not represent the final render which I find is dependent on how big the rendered image is..

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:PS - on the other side the "fusion" tool seems not to work at all . .

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Destiny wrote:Fusion works fine, well.... fine but you need to wait for it do do its thing, you just need to activate it then wait. Its not automatic.. You need to go to Edit and it will show the fusion option.. Then tick that in the render.. Often though, the preview does not represent the final render which I find is dependent on how big the rendered image is..

Yes, thanks! But that´s not what i like during the process of producing ;) :cool:

In my eyes that´s not practicable. Anyway i prefer to process bracketed images before stitching.
That´s much faster and more reliable - handling the fusion-tool is a kind of roulette and hardly reproducable
for batch-processing.

best, Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Agreed, much better to pre-process. Far better results and quicker and most importantly, consistent results since you can save a preset then batch process the entire Fusion or HDR sets.

PTGui has the same feature where the Fusion of HDR is not automatic. The preview render does not represent the final render when processing bracketed shots..

Destiny..

no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Info

by sebs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay, I was very busy.
Here is a link to the files: http://www.grosfichiers.ch/helpers/down ... c76e2ac0bb
I reduced the pictures size, the problem is the same.
I tried several options but I couldn't fix this sky color issue, so any input from your knowledge better than mine will be appreciated ;)

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:04 pm

sebs wrote:Hi, sorry for the delay, I was very busy.
Here is a link to the files: http://www.grosfichiers.ch/helpers/down ... c76e2ac0bb
I reduced the pictures size, the problem is the same.
I tried several options but I couldn't fix this sky color issue, so any input from your knowledge better than mine will be appreciated ;)

In my opinion the problem is caused by your shooting in aperture priority auto mode, and perhaps you also used auto white balance?

no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Info

by sebs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:06 am

mediavets wrote:In my opinion the problem is caused by your shooting in aperture priority auto mode, and perhaps you also used auto white balance?

Yes I think that I was in auto mode.
For the white balance, in fact I never worked in manual mode, I did many panos (>300 I think) and it's the first time that I get an issue.
For the exposure mode, here I didn't work in manual, because there was a big difference between left and right. If I would have exposed for the right part, the left part would have been really underexposed.

So: do I always need to be in exposure manual mode, even in case of high contrast?
And do I also need to be always in manual WB?

What is particular in this situation, which makes it very different from the other panos that I did, and which makes that autopano cannot deal with it? With all the other situations that I met, autopano was able to produce a perfect result, so I'd like to be able to see when I need to do something different.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

sebs wrote:What is particular in this situation, which makes it very different from the other panos that I did, and which makes that autopano cannot deal with it? With all the other situations that I met, autopano was able to produce a perfect result, so I'd like to be able to see when I need to do something different.

When you meet a situation with strong differences between darker and brighter aereas it´s definitely preferable to
shoot using bracketing.

The problem with auto-exposure and auto-whitebalance is: depending on where the camera looks in a panorama it can "see" very different brightness or colors. So most likely the result are images with very different brightness- and color values.

APG usually does a great job equalizing this differences automatically - but this can only be successfull to a certain amount.

So it´s the duty of the photographer to take care for correct exposuring and white-balancing on s shooting.

Basically: NO automatics anywhere when you shoot for stitching :cool:

Klaus

no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Info

by sebs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am

I tried to modify exposure & set a fixed WB for the tiff files (exported from Lightroom).
I get much better results for the sky.
And the result are also better in v4 than v3.
But something strange, the stiching has quite big changes, and in some areas the v4 is worse than v3.
Here are the results for comparison:
http://www.grosfichiers.ch/helpers/down ... 7fe4f9de5e

no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Info

by sebs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:37 am

klausesser wrote:
sebs wrote:What is particular in this situation, which makes it very different from the other panos that I did, and which makes that autopano cannot deal with it? With all the other situations that I met, autopano was able to produce a perfect result, so I'd like to be able to see when I need to do something different.

When you meet a situation with strong differences between darker and brighter aereas it´s definitely preferable to
shoot using bracketing.

The problem with auto-exposure and auto-whitebalance is: depending on where the camera looks in a panorama it can "see" very different brightness or colors. So most likely the result are images with very different brightness- and color values.

APG usually does a great job equalizing this differences automatically - but this can only be successfull to a certain amount.

So it´s the duty of the photographer to take care for correct exposuring and white-balancing on s shooting.

Basically: NO automatics anywhere when you shoot for stitching :cool:

Klaus

Thanks for your advices!
I must say that it's not ideal conditions, because I shoot without any tripod nor pano head (because these pictures were not planned at all...).
So it's harder for AP to do its job

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 am

sebs wrote:Thanks for your advices!
I must say that it's not ideal conditions, because I shoot without any tripod nor pano head (because these pictures were not planned at all...).
So it's harder for AP to do its job

Measuring the light on a location does not depend on using a tripod or shooting by hand . . ;) :cool:

Klaus

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

Re: Color correction not better than in 3.7  [SOLVED]

by marzipano » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:20 pm

I had a short play around with these tiff files in v3.7 and v4.0B and also found not that much difference in colour correction but that V4 was just better

This is what I got by just processing the files you posted with no additional editing

This result still has a significant darkening going from L to R but looking at the sky colour in the original 8 images I don't think any stitching product would be able to produce a uniform blue

I used the following settings
blend level=0
anchor image : image 8 (far right)
colour settings in 1-7 : gamma+colour but not exposure in all
vignetting and gradient : OFF in all

It seems to have got rid of that terrible tourquoise hue which looked completely unnatural to me
Attachments
v4 colour.jpg

no avatar
sebs

Topic author
Info

by sebs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks for your help, I will pay more attention to the exposure on next time, and now I know more about these color blending options ;-)