optimization groups  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

optimization groups

by foundation » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:57 am

I'm trying to stitch a set of 354 images, in two different focal lengths 100mm and 300mm. The default stitch found all the images as belonging to one panorama but with multiple unlinked subpanoramas (the automatic cleaning of bad points/links seemed to remove connections between the 100mm images and the 300mm images). I used the control points editor to drag out areas of similarity to add control points and have everything in one panorama now. However, there are two optimization groups and one set is grossly misaligned. I tried dragging all the images from one group to the other, and it hung up with 100% for more than an hour until I force quit it. It seems the that minus icon removes the optmization group and all the images inside it. I just want to put everything in one group. I don't know what the refresh button does in the optimization groups windows. No documentation on it other what the palette does generally here http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... nts_Editor

Any suggestions on how to get back to one optimization or no optimization groups? or how to restitch so that it doesn't create multiple optimization groups?

thanks,
Bryn

windows 8.1 x64 Autopano giga 4.0beta4

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: optimization groups

by Panoram1x » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:32 am

Hello,

You can check if the relative position of the images is approximately correct or not using the Image view mode (http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... or#Toolbar, "E" icon) in the panorama editor. If the position is far from as it should be, the problem probably comes from an erroneous detection of control points.

There repetitive motifs in the images that can interfere with proper detection of checkpoints?

There are some images without sufficient details to find control points?

What is the shooting pattern that you've used?

You can show a screenshot of your results?
Experimentation is the funniest way to learn, to ask the fastest
jordi.panoram1x[at]gmail[dot]com

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:05 pm

There are some images of sky without sufficient control points, but the basic problem is that there is a full image of the mountain in 100mm and a full image in 300mm, and I have put some control points in to link the two but not in every single one. However, the control points don't shift the 100mm. I can work around this and drop the sky from the 100mm in manually, but I'm mostly trying to understand optimization groups and how to merge them and/or what they do, given that they aren't documented.
Attachments
autopano forum upload.JPG

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:41 pm

What do you hope to achieve by trying to stitch a pano where parts of the image are shot with both 100mm and 300mm focal lengths?

I could better understand if you chose to shoot the sky with the shorter focal length and the mountain with the longer focal length.

Did you use a manual pano head or a motorised pano head?

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46 pm

I shot handheld which has worked perfectly fine in the past. By shooting at a wider angle, you can get part of the mountain in, and much more of the sky, since often autopano isn't able to find control points in the only sky images. Even with that technique you can see that I have the upper left and right corners without sky.

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46 pm

re: what I'm intending, I should have mentioned I will use the render option to prioritize focal length so where there's 300mm data it uses that, and where there isn't it aka the sky, it will use the 100mm.

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 pm

My original question still stands,

I detect panos and autopano stitches it with default settings, it ends up with a number of orphan images and sub panoramas. I go through and add control points back in (by drawing boxes in the control point editor) and I end up with all images connected (after slow and painful process).

But I have maybe 12 optimization groups or more at that point. How do I get autopano to restitch the image without all those optimization groups?