Get yourself a 1 TB SSD!!!  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Get yourself a 1 TB SSD!!!

by HansKeesom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:42 am

I still use my old workstation. It is a four core i7 920 machine with 16 GB of memory in it and a 100 GB SSD.
It is great for preprocessing projects while I use my newer workstation for editing.

I also use my old workstation to allow photographers to work remotely on projects. When using the SSD for both projectsfiles as scratch files there is still a nice speed that can be had this way.

Recently one of the photographer had a project that he could do for 95% on that machine, just the autoblend of photoshop was not able to finish due to problems with the scratch space, not enough.

So I had a look at larger then 100 GB SSD's to see what they cost nowadays. I was surprised to see one can have a 1 TB SSD for only 350 euro. So I bought one and used it to replace the 100 GB one.

Wow......amazing, now I can move even the larger projects directly to the SSD and do each and every manipulation totally without using a harddisk. The machine feels like reborn, is much more silent and gets more done in less time.

So, conclusion, do yourself a favor and have a look at the current prices of a large SSD.

BTW, the 100 GB SSD is now used as cache for the system harddisk in the newer workstation. That now also runs faster and more silent.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: Get yourself a 1 TB SSD!!!

by gkaefer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:01 pm

yeah. These makes fun. I use two cruicial M550 with each 1TB. I use them in a RAID1 Array. Used as single SSD I get Little bit less Performance than with my Samsung 840 Pros, but I've to pay up to 50% less... worth in my eyes.... in Special because the cruicial M550 Comes with an onboard (raid)contrller plus Chips onboard to handle garbage collection, trim command etc. without Need to let do this the OS. (so my SSDs used in an raid Array does have too garbage collection and TRIM and do not loose Performance.)

Georg
Attachments
2014-11-23 16_55_21-JViewer[192.168.0.120] - 7 fps.png

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes in RAID things really shine. Would be a great idea for my fast workstation on which I do the editing.

For my old machine I did not wanted to go that far. So I ordered only one.

I ordered a samsung 840 EVO not even the pro. The pro is almost 200 euro more expensive and not even that much faster. I guess two evo's in RAID would outshine one 840 pro easily.

Any way, the point is, there are relative cheap ways to make Autopano run better.

no avatar
leifs

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by leifs » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Just a little ooops:
the era of SATA-disks (especially SSDs) is at the end of the road now. SSDs is limited by the SATA bottleneck.
the PCIe era is here ! the 6Gbps bottleneck is gone, "the sky is the limit".
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/sams ... ra-is-here

I've used a Revodrive3 X2 for a while, fast but expensive!
2015 will be the year of PCIe SSDs, SATA SSDs will be disks of the past like PATA-disks.

leifs

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 pm

leifs, of course pci-ssd is fast, i have one myself. But expensive.
It all depends on its purpose, i just wanted more space to store the sourcefiles I am working on. For 350 i have 1 TB SSD, revodrive will cost 1100 euro.

no avatar
leifs

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by leifs » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 pm

next year PCIe SSDs will be big, fast and inexpensive :-) I hope !

leif

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 am

I hope so to, untill then I find this SATA SSD a very nice investment saving a lot of waiting time and problably electricity.
Will likely buy one for my laptop too ;-)

And when I read about ASUS SSD Caching II, I think there is still a great future for SATA SSD's ;-)

Multiple SSD Caching, Instant Upgraded Speed
SSD Caching II has been upgraded with a multiple caching function, adding four extra SATA 6Gb/s onboard. This feature offers performance upgrades by using multiple installed SSDs with no capacity limitations as a cache for frequently accessed data. It also allows user to choose the combinateion that suits their needs. For example, you can choose three SSDs matched with one HDD or two SSDs with two HDDs. Harness a combination of SSD-like performance and response and hard drive capacity with a single click, without the need to reboot for instant activation and complete ease of use. As an added bonus, it can even prevent data loss with the included backup function, so you can rest easy knowing your data is secure.