Edit in Photoshop .... then what?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
McSnapper

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Edit in Photoshop .... then what?

by McSnapper » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Love APP and just getting up to speed on some more advanced stuff.

I have 3 hand shot images taken at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I have broken all the rules here and even have Mules a few feet in front of the lens so there is a significant parallax issue.

I shoved them into APP regardless and its done a not bad effort. Annoyling my previous pano program (pixmaker value) which has no user control produces a nice image (though you can see the joins). APP with smart blend made some interesting choices and some of the foreground mule is mutated.

I have exported to Photoshop, deleted an area of Image 3 that was part of the blend to put a seam in an harmless place and now want to re-run my blend.....

I am presuming I need to get the Layers from Photoshop back to APP but how?

Where am I going wrong?

no avatar
foundation

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by foundation » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 pm

if I understand you correctly, another approach would be to render it with smartblend and output a TIFF with embedded layers (or PSD/PSB), and then just use masks in photoshop to redo the seam yourself.

the workflow you are suggesting means you'd need to include a alpha channel on the image I think and that's a new feature and I don't know how it works yet

no avatar
McSnapper

Topic author
Info

by McSnapper » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks for the response.

I was following the tutorial that shows you how to take a moving figure out of the panorama but it doesn't explain how to do the final rendering once you are outside of APP.

The PSD I have exported has not been blended for color, etc and therefore there is a lot of work in Photoshop to get a reasonalble output and all of that manual work is the reason for having APP in the first place.

I guess I am misunderstanding what the role of PS is in this scenario.

Incidentally, I downloaded PanoTools, Hugin, AutoPano-SIFT and Enblend and it aced the pano without any input from me.

I think that too many control points can cause problems if you don't have perfectly shot images.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:17 am

Hi McSnapper,

Parallax problem arise when pictures are taken with camera not moving around the nodal point of the lens. It's more visible at short distance and not easy to avoid with handheld panorama. In your case, you may have also problem of moving objects such as Mules.

You exported the panorama in PSD file with pictures as layers and clean image 3. I don't think it's possible to use this PSD file as source for APP. You need to achieve the panorama in Photoshop. Not so easy to get a good result if changes have big area.

APP export pictures as layers in PSD before rendering by smartblend. APP send panorama in small blocks to Smartblend which makes its own color adjustement and smooth transitional zones, then blended panorama looks different from source layers in PSD.

The new feature of APP to accept pictures with Alpha channel (TIF) seems promising : paint the Alpha channel on the area you need to exclude in one picture but make sure that at least one other picture will cover this area. Reload the project.pano in APP and render again with smartblend.

This feature is still new and may need some improvement by Alexandre, depending on your system. For Windows XP, next release should be better.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
McSnapper

Topic author
Info

by McSnapper » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:48 am

Thanks Marco,

Does the alpha tiff functionality exist already?

I believe you are saying it does, but it might be on the Beta side of things.

Cheers,

Gary

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:56 am

It exists already in v 1.4 RC1. Download away and give it a go!
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
danze_65

Info

by danze_65 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:38 pm

I found this old thread and I am wondering what use it is to output in psd/psb format if you can't re-import the masked version? I thought i could output the panorama in photoshop format, do some masking, save and then use the file for my panorama. Could anyone explain this to me?
Last edited by danze_65 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.