Problem with Multiple-Viewpoint Gigapixel Pano [SOLVED]   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
futureweb

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Problem with Multiple-Viewpoint Gigapixel Pano [SOLVED]

by futureweb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi,

I'm having some problems with a 360° multiple viewpoint panorama. When I import the images and I go to the edit- Window the panorama is displaced where the panoramas of the first viewpoint and the second meet:

But when I check the stitching-points it looks like the two panoramas blend perfectly:

One funny thing is, that the other point where the two panoramas meet, looks perfect :/

Any ideas why this is and what I can do, to get rid of this problem?

Thanks
Last edited by futureweb on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: Problem with multiple viewpoint -Panorama

by mediavets » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Use gigapan import filter?

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 pm

futureweb wrote:Any ideas why this is and what I can do, to get rid of this problem?

Yes: carefully study the documentation ;-).

But honestly - for example: red signs mean "bad quality link".

To really help you some more informations would be essential.

Klaus

AntoineM

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by AntoineM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello futureweb,

This is just normal, there is no way to stich 2 sets of images taken from such distant viewpoints.
The stitching-points of your second image tell us Autopano finds out that the summit of the left image is the one of the right image but it cannot stretch the pano to get the right image on the left one without breaking the rest of the pano (i.e. the foreground moutains).

Regards,
Antoine
Antoine Méler - Computer Vision R&D Engineer

futureweb

Topic author
Info

by futureweb » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 am

Hi thanks for the quick replies!

The two viewpoints arent that far apart ( maby 8 meters) and the mountains are really far away so there is no way the distance between the two viewpoints has this effect. And we already did another panorama like that where the distance between the viewpoints was like 60 meters (also no Paralax errors because of the distance of the mountains). For example here is the second point where the two panoramas meet (The foreground is of course out of place, but that doesn't matter because we edit this afterwards in Photoshop, what's important to us is, that the mountains look good):

And here is the first point where the panoramas meet:
As you can see the whole left row is moved down and the right one is moved up.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 am

I have to ask: why bother? Poor light, poor composition, strong haze, incorrect technique, etc.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 pm

You mentioned that you did some editing before rendering but didn't say what specific editing was carried out

I have tried stitching panoramas with more parallax than you have here (e.g when trying to produce a panorama taken from a moving boat !) and the only way I have got anything approaching a reasonable result is to delete ALL the control points that aren't across a narrow strip at or just below the horizon

Most of the foreground will end up a write-off and the middle distance will require a lot of photoshop in my experience

good luck !

Hellkeeper

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by Hellkeeper » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:11 pm

DrSlony wrote:I have to ask: why bother? Poor light, poor composition, strong haze, incorrect technique, etc.

In Austria we got a proverb for such statements ... "Wenn man keine Ahnung hat - Einfach mal die Klappe halten!" ;-)

- poor Lightning: Ever tried to get the perfect lightning when you shoot over 8.000 Pictures with same aperture / shutter speed and the shooting takes half a day?
- poor composition: tell me how to do the right composition on a 360x50 degree Pano while standing on the Top of a Mountain? (Sloping Roof on Top of a Mountain in this particular case)
- strong haze: solely point you are partially right - but as this was one of the best days this year ... nothing we can do about it ... maybe next year we can try it when there is less haze ...
- incorrect technique: With the same technique we shot http://gpix.at/Gpix.at-Gigapixel_gpath, ... ,gpix.html and http://gpix.at/Gpix.at-Gigapixel_gpath, ... ,gpix.html ... so I'm not quite sure what's the Problem with my technique? (@AntoineM - those 2 Pictures were shot from 2 different Places about 50m apart and more than 10m height difference! It's no problem to stitch such Panos if you carefully choose where to connect booth images ... ;-))

Sorry for being that harsh - but such postings are just useless and won't help in stitching the Pano ... (I would never expect such an useless answer from someone titled as "Moderator"!!!)

Enough ranting for today! ;-)

As for the others - thank you for your help! We already found the Problem ... We installed latest Version of APG and some settings were messed up (Use hard links instead of Detect control points, ...)
Pano is rendering right now - will post Link to the final Image when ready! :-)

Bye from sunny Austria
Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

PS) User "futureweb" is my colleague who is working on this Pano ...
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gigapixel Panos from Austria: gpix.at

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:48 pm

futureweb wrote:The two viewpoints arent that far apart ( maby 8 meters) and the mountains are really far away so there is no way the distance between the two viewpoints has this effect.

Why didn´t you tell this fact in your first post? Regarding manually dealing with missing/faulty connections it would have been vital information.

Klaus

P.S.: a way to handle such cases would be to delete the - anyway faulty stitchable - foreground-images as far as it is aceptable . . . because they can very well have an influence on the
geometrical construction of the background images as seen by the optimizer. So you need to manually connect/optimize the mountain-images i guess.

Interesting issue - would like to hear how you manage it . . :cool:

Hellkeeper

Info

by Hellkeeper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Alright - Development Preview of this Gigapixel: http://www.gpix.at/Gpix.at-Gigapixel_gp ... =kolor.com

What do you think?
(Horizon not aligned perfect - "wave effect" - I know :-/ )

Andreas

Hellkeeper

Info

by Hellkeeper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 am

btw) Here you can see the 2 Places the Pano was shot from:

Andreas

no avatar
marzipano

Info

Re: Problem with Multiple-Viewpoint Gigapixel Pano [SOLVED]

by marzipano » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 am

The end result looks very good

I can see you marked this thread as solved (which looks to be the case) but you should document on here how you actually solved the parallax issues that Klaus, myself and others made reference to so that others with the same issues can learn

Did you just use APG or was there extensive use of photoshop etc.

best
Martin

Hellkeeper

Info

Re: Problem with Multiple-Viewpoint Gigapixel Pano [SOLVED]  [SOLVED]

by Hellkeeper » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Martin,

thank you! :-)

In fact there were no parallax/stitching issues at all after APG was configured right again (Detect control points) ;-)
When I shot this Pano I tried to set the Connections where no nearby Objects are ... (except the Roof of course) - so the most nearby Objects were away at least some km - and you won't get any noticeable parallax issue with 2 PoV - 8m apart - when the "Target" is away a few km.

Those are the 2 partial Panos:

With this technique I also shot Panos with 2 PoV about 50m apart ... and got no parallax issues at all. (except some minor issues with the ground in front of me - but you just need to delete all CPs there and fix the messed up ground within PS)

Andreas

no avatar
marzipano

Info

Re: Problem with Multiple-Viewpoint Gigapixel Pano [SOLVED]

by marzipano » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:06 am

Thank you Andreas

I have constructed a number of 360 panoramas with similar potential parallax issues when constructing these from viewing galleries at The Shard and Centre Point in London and from the Hancock Building in Chicago amongst others where in each case the views in different directions are separated by the size of the viewing gallery (perhaps 30 metres)

Like you I found the close foreground needed to be removed and the distant horizon was often quite straightforward but difficult to get exactly horizontal. The middle distance was the most tricky as it could not be just "cropped out" but needed time consuming work with PS + cut and paste

best
Martin