Page 1 of 1

APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 pm
by jarane
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to migrate from PTGUI to APG, in order to be able to use Livepano, and am having a really hard time doing it.

I shoot a Nikon D800 on a 360Precision Absolute head. 6 shots at -15º + Zenith.
On APG I add the 7 images, click on "detect" and the results are horrifying!!! (attached image).

I have watched most video tutorials online and read the online docs, but nothing seems to address this situation.

Is there a specific setting for shooting at -15º?

Any help is welcomed

Thanks in advance,
E.C.

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 pm
by mediavets
jarane wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm trying to migrate from PTGUI to APG, in order to be able to use Livepano, and am having a really hard time doing it.

I shoot a Nikon D800 on a 360Precision Absolute head. 6 shots at -15º + Zenith.
On APG I add the 7 images, click on "detect" and the results are horrifying!!! (attached image).

I have watched most video tutorials online and read the online docs, but nothing seems to address this situation.

Is there a specific setting for shooting at -15º?

Any help is welcomed

Thanks in advance,
E.C.


Perhaps the EXIF is missing from your images and APG does not recognise your lens focal length or lens type (fisheye).

Check Image properties and change lens type if necessary, also check the crop circle:

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 pm
by jarane
Thanks media vets,
all the exif data is recognized by APG but somehow it renders this weird result.
What else do you think it could be?

Thanks again,
E.C.

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:42 pm
by AlexandreJ
This is probably due to some wrong links because of pattern matching.
Look at this tutorial : http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... n_I_do_%3F

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm
by klausesser
jarane wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm trying to migrate from PTGUI to APG, in order to be able to use Livepano, and am having a really hard time doing it.

I shoot a Nikon D800 on a 360Precision Absolute head. 6 shots at -15º + Zenith.
On APG I add the 7 images, click on "detect" and the results are horrifying!!! (attached image).

I have watched most video tutorials online and read the online docs, but nothing seems to address this situation.

Is there a specific setting for shooting at -15º?

Any help is welcomed

Thanks in advance,
E.C.


Hi!

I guess you´re using the 2,8/16mm Nikon Fisheye? Nevertheless set the values to "Fisheye" in the APG´s prefs. I realized that the 16mm sometimes gets not recognized correctly.

You don´t need a dedicated setting for -15° - i also use to shoot this way.

best, Klaus

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:45 pm
by jarane
Thanks guys,
I tried all of your suggestions and, although it went from nothing to very good, it still needs work.
Since I don't know the interface, it's hard for me to fine-tune the Zenith to perfection.

What I did, was to save the project as a template and applied it to a new project with the same images. Then I repeated the whole process, but it didn't seem to improve it.

I'm attaching a screen capture of the pano, and of one of the problem areas.
How can I improve the stitching?

Also, is there any way to improve the RMS of the Control Points?

@ Klaus: do you also shoot 6 x -15º plus Zenith at 90º?

Thanks again,
E.C.

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm
by mediavets
jarane wrote:Thanks guys,
I tried all of your suggestions and, although it went from nothing to very good, it still needs work.
Since I don't know the interface, it's hard for me to fine-tune the Zenith to perfection.

What I did, was to save the project as a template and applied it to a new project with the same images. Then I repeated the whole process, but it didn't seem to improve it.

I'm attaching a screen capture of the pano, and of one of the problem areas.
How can I improve the stitching?

Also, is there any way to improve the RMS of the Control Points?

@ Klaus: do you also shoot 6 x -15º plus Zenith at 90º?

Thanks again,
E.C.


A lot of relatively featureless space.

The type of scene that may cause APG's auto control detection problems.

Have you yet explored the Control Points Editor?

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... nts_Editor

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 pm
by jarane
Yes,
I followed Alexandre's suggestion and applied all the steps of the linked tutorial to my images.
The files generated by the D800 have a ton of information, and you can easily see creases, holes and every stain on the white walls (unfortunately so, hehe).

When trying to generate CPs to the problem areas, I realized that their RMS was getting increasingly higher. There must be a way to optimize those CPs to make them usable.
Do you know if it's possible?

Thanks,
E.C.

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm
by klausesser
jarane wrote:@ Klaus: do you also shoot 6 x -15º plus Zenith at 90º?



I shoot 5 @ -12° + Zenith. 20% overlap. Nikon D800, Nikon 2,8/16mm, Panoneed head.

best, Klaus

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 pm
by mediavets
jarane wrote:When trying to generate CPs to the problem areas, I realized that their RMS was getting increasingly higher. There must be a way to optimize those CPs to make them usable.
Do you know if it's possible?

Thanks,
E.C.


See: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... _RMS_value

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 am
by AlexandreJ
One note: you should definitively try the version 3.5 where we made a lot of improvement in out-of-the-box quality stitching.

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 pm
by klausesser
AlexandreJ wrote:One note: you should definitively try the version 3.5 where we made a lot of improvement in out-of-the-box quality stitching.



Yes - i definitely agree!

best, Klaus

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 pm
by jarane
Hi,
I'm giving 3.5 a try, but there is something weird about it.
Even though all the images are loaded, APG 3.5 does not see the Zenith (image attached).

Following your suggestions for APG 3, my settings are:

General:
default

Images:
in no EXIF data Use 16mm Fisheye

Detection:
default

Optimization:
local/global checked. all else unchecked.

Panorama:
default

Render:
default

Re: APG newbie…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 pm
by AlexandreJ
look at your group properties. The focal length indicates 16mm. Or these images are 16mm fisheye. Just change that with the (i) icons and everything will work:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... eye_images