Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm 

The masking tool works fairly well to eliminate the tripod in nadir shots as explained in this page:

www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Patching_the_nadir

But I still get some residual tripod bits and pieces here and there and often have to go and fix that in Photoshop afterwards.

I would love to be able to go and remove the tripod in those nadir shots in PS beforehand and then feed those "cleaned" frames to APG for detection. But the issue is what to put in those "holes" in the source images. I can't fill them up with a "Content aware" patch because those will obviously not match from one shot to the next and APG will get confused. I can't paint them black or white either for the same reason. It seems to me that the best would be to make those areas transparent so APG will be forced use the corresponding area from another shot.

Is that possible? But this would mean the image would have to be saved in a format that can handle transparent info such as .PNG or .ps.

Is this feasible?

Thanks

Bo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm 

Bmachine wrote:
The masking tool works fairly well to eliminate the tripod in nadir shots as explained in this page:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... _the_nadir

But I still get some residual tripod bits and pieces here and there and often have to go and fix that in Photoshop afterwards.

I would love to be able to go and remove the tripod in those nadir shots in PS beforehand and then feed those "cleaned" frames to APG for detection. But the issue is what to put in those "holes" in the source images. I can't fill them up with a "Content aware" patch because those will obviously not match from one shot to the next and APG will get confused. I can't paint them black or white either for the same reason. It seems to me that the best would be to make those areas transparent so APG will be forced use the corresponding area from another shot.

Is that possible? But this would mean the image would have to be saved in a format that can handle transparent info such as .PNG or .ps.

Is this feasible?

Thanks

Bo

Yes. PNG or TIFF.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm 

mediavets wrote:

Yes. PNG or TIFF.

Excellent. I will try that.
Have you used that method?

Thank you.

Bo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:52 pm 

I tested this method and here are the results:
For some reason, when I save the images as TIFF and open them in APG, APG does not recognize the transparency. The are where the tripod was erased comes out as white. Now this could very well be due to a setting that I need to check. I try saving with the alpha and without. Did not make a difference.
Saving as PNG worked very well. The only exception to that statement is that the PNG does not keep the exif info (again... there may be a setting that will allow that) so I had to re-enter the focal length and Fisheye info in APG.
But this seems to work a little better than the APG masking for me. And for bracketed images it would definitely be faster.

Bo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:10 pm 
Administrator

Take care with TIFF format, it is really not straightforward to use in Photoshop to make the tiff compatible with autopano.
You should not put layers inside and check 'save transparency', then it should work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 pm 

Thanks Alexandre. I will try that.

Bo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 am 

Bmachine wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Yes. PNG or TIFF.

Excellent. I will try that.
Have you used that method?

Thank you.

Bo

Nope, to much work, takes too much time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:28 am 

I have to say, in my case, it is faster to do it that way then to use the APG masking tool. I usually do 3 bracketed images and use the Quick Selection tool with some recorded Actions in Photoshop and it goes fast and reliably.

But YMMV as usual.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm 
Administrator

Hello,

The Masking tool in Autopano allows you to keep/remove objects from single shots AND bracketed shots, please check it there (the tool to use is the stack marker): http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... g_tool#USE

Of course you have to stack your brackets at first, but the whole process is really faster than using PS to do it.

Quick links: User Account, Documentation, Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:27 pm 

You dont HAVE to stack the brackets, not even before loading them into autopano. But it does make the editing faster when you do. When using the antighosting etc of photomax you achieve better results. All can be done inside autopano but it requires more from your computers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm 
Administrator

You're right Hans, I told about stacking the images in Autopano, not before (indeed that was a bit confusing I agree).

Quick links: User Account, Documentation, Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:25 pm 

Zoobius wrote:
You're right Hans, I told about stacking the images in Autopano, not before (indeed that was a bit confusing I agree).

No problem.

Doing about 25 indoor panoramas of indoor sportfields. Lot's of lines, certainly at the center of the field where all pano's are made.
Not a single problem though with the right technique of shooting and stacking with photomatix. APG is having a field day, few markers and perfect nadir without tripod feets. Love the product for this. Just need a faster computer ;-)