Free Memory on Mac (Mavericks)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
miska

Free Memory on Mac (Mavericks)

by miska » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi,
I don't know if this is a Mac "problem", Autopano "problem" or just a feature of the Mac (or APG).
I have two macs:
- One (older) Macbook Air, with 4GB of RAM, under Mavericks
- A newer Macbook, with 8GB of RAM, under Lion

When I look at the free memory (under APG 3.0.8, Settings, General, Memory used), it shows a small amount of free memory compared to the global system memory. On the 4GB system, I have about 1GB free, on the 8GB system ~4GB. This is when I close (almost) all my apps. If I start APG when I have stuff open, the available memory is even less.

So what to do to give APG more memory ? Reboot, and immediately start APG ?
If I understand correctly, in a Mac, some memory is used as cache, and then freed for applications when they need it. If this is true, then APG cannot benefit from this, as it uses the "free" memory as a maximum. Could this be fixed, or is there a workaround ?
I have the impression that under Windows, there is more memory available with a "normal" amount of apps open (but it's hard to compare). Perhaps because the Mac is using more memory as Cache, which is then seen in APG as "not available".

I understand the OS + applications need some memory, but it seems like quite a chunk is "missing" here. Any tips ?

Thanks !

no avatar
HansKeesom

Re: Free Memory on Mac (Mavericks)

by HansKeesom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Windows 7 64 bit, 64 GB of memory, even after restart already 10.8 GB gone. When I start APG, settings tell me only 51 GB left.
So don't feel bad about Mavericks, it sounds like normal behavior.

Now I have superfetch switched on, I should turn it of but I like it.

Now my 16 GB windows 7 machine, 5.7 GB gone with just teamviewer running..... APG tells me only 8.26 GB that can be used...

So don't feel bad having a mac, at least not for this reason ;-)

no avatar
miska

by miska » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Well, I think the memory management of APG could be improved a bit. Perhaps one could "force" APG to use for example 80% of the memory detected.
If the memory comes full because other programs are used, then the OS can still use swap.
And the fact that the memory APG can use is measured at startup (not taking into acount - I think - that some memory is available, it's just used as cache by the OS) of the code and stays like that is also not very optimal...

I just think now it's a bit clumsy. How, as a user, can I say: I now want to use APG, so just use all the memory you've got for APG.

Since memory is such a critical part, I feel it deserves a bit more attention...

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

APG can only use what is free. So what is used by the OS or other programms it can not use. APG looks for it the moment it is started, not when the machine is started.

APG is not able to read your mind. If you want it to use all memory, move the slider to the right, if you want to keep some for other things then move the slider to the right.

Return to Using Autopano Pro & Autopano Giga