Editing control points in HDR stacked panoramas  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jasonkimmings

Editing control points in HDR stacked panoramas

by jasonkimmings » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi. Can someone walk me through exactly how to do this?

- I have taken a panorama using an auto bracket sequence (say -1, 0 and +1 ECV).
- I open APG and put them into stacks (for some reason it never auto detects it, even though it was auto on the camera).
- I detect the panorama.

Now is the potential problem. I need to edit control points in the panorama. How do I do this and have it update all three layers/stacks? I'm sure it's simple but I can't find reference to it anywhere. And what setting would I use to do this and then what render settings would I use? Anti-ghosting or Exposure Fusion? Both sound like what I want!

Thanks,
Jason

no avatar
mediavets

Re: Editing control points in HDR stacked panoramas

by mediavets » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:59 pm

jasonkimmings wrote:Hi. Can someone walk me through exactly how to do this?

- I have taken a panorama using an auto bracket sequence (say -1, 0 and +1 ECV).
- I open APG and put them into stacks (for some reason it never auto detects it, even though it was auto on the camera).
- I detect the panorama.

Now is the potential problem. I need to edit control points in the panorama. How do I do this and have it update all three layers/stacks? I'm sure it's simple but I can't find reference to it anywhere. And what setting would I use to do this

Use hard links in the stack and detect links on reference layer only: see screenshot below.

and then what render settings would I use? Anti-ghosting or Exposure Fusion? Both sound like what I want!

Thanks,
Jason
[/quote]

Use exposure fusion.

+/-1 EV is seldom enough to have much effect.
Attachments
1-apg308-stacks-links.jpg

no avatar
Rontrus

Which bracket to choose for controll points? Superimposabili

by Rontrus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi,
I've followed these instructions succesfully (for I had the same problem as jasonkimmings), but unfortunately Autopano chooses the darkest exposure bracket for setting controll points, so they are hard to confirm or to reposite. Can I determine which bracket to use for controll points?

Second issue: Though I proceeded like described above and only one bracket got controll points, the different layers sometimes showed little differences in output and were superimposable only at first glance. I never experienced this using Hugin.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

no avatar
mediavets

Re: Which bracket to choose for controll points? Superimposa

by mediavets » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Rontrus wrote:Hi,
I've followed these instructions succesfully (for I had the same problem as jasonkimmings), but unfortunately Autopano chooses the darkest exposure bracket for setting controll points, so they are hard to confirm or to reposite. Can I determine which bracket to use for controll points?

Welcome to the forum...

Yes, you can you can select the index level which will be used for CP detection - see screenshot 1

Second issue: Though I proceeded like described above and only one bracket got controll points, the different layers sometimes showed little differences in output and were superimposable only at first glance. I never experienced this using Hugin.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Why are you generating separate layers? If you do that antighost cannot operate can it?

As I understand it the seams will/may vary in different layers due to the way APG works.
Attachments
1-apg308-stacks-index.jpg

no avatar
Rontrus

by Rontrus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:24 pm

mediavets wrote:Welcome to the forum...

Thank you!

Yes, you can you can select the index level which will be used for CP detection - see screenshot 1

Ah, I think that's it; thanks!

Why are you generating separate layers? If you do that antighost cannot operate can it?

As I understand it the seams will/may vary in different layers due to the way APG works.

I'm not sure if I had enabled "antighost" that time, but how can there be differences anyway, when only one set of controll points exist? All the shots were taken with a (stable) tripod and mirror pre-release. The single images match perfectly.

I prefer to output exposure-layers and process the images in photomatix, for I just own APP, not APG :)

Cheers
Wolfgang

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Rontrus wrote:
mediavets wrote:Welcome to the forum...

Thank you!

Ah, I think that's it; thanks!

I'm not sure if I had enabled "antighost" that time, but how can there be differences anyway, when only one set of controll points exist? All the shots were taken with a (stable) tripod and mirror pre-release. The single images match perfectly.

There can be differences if you don't hard link stacks; and also I think if you output layers using Antighost that algorithm may place seams differently in different layers?

I prefer to output exposure-layers and process the images in photomatix, for I just own APP, not APG :)

Cheers
Wolfgang

I believe that most people who process bracketed exposures outside APP/APG prefer to do it with Photomatix (or another third-party program) before stitching.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:44 pm

mediavets wrote:
I believe that most people who process bracketed exposures outside APP/APG prefer to do it with Photomatix (or another third-party program) before stitching.

Even when not using stacks it can be usefull to process them in photomatix. I converted 1000 raw to tiff with some CA correction and compression and had a much better stich result.

Return to Using Autopano Pro & Autopano Giga