Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:47 pm 

Hi!
This is my first post to this forum.

I've used Autopano and Panotour for couple years now. My last camera-setup was Canon 7D + 8mm Samyang fisheye. It worked nice and flawless long time, but couple months ago i changed my setup to Canon 5D III + 14mm Samyang fisheye (8mm was for crop, so needed to buy new one).

That 8mm with crop camera is almost like 14mm with full frame. Not big difference. With old setup i've used it:
  • -30' tilt with 8 pictures (45' pan)
  • 0' tilt with 8 pictures (45' pan)
  • +45' tilt with 8 pictures (45' pan)

So it is 24 images. That was good setup and image stiching was very easy. It worked w/o any extra work.

Now i've took panorama with Canon 5D and with same amount of pictures, but it doesn't work at all. There is lot of little issues at rendered panorama, even that Autopano said "Global RMS is good: 4,96".

First i thought that there isn't enough pictures. That's why i have shot all rooms again with this:
  • -30' tilt with 12 pictures (30' pan)
  • 0' tilt with 12 pictures (30' pan)
  • +30' tilt with 12 pictures (30' pan)
  • +60' tilt with 12 pictures (30' pan)

So with this setup there is more than enough pictures, but i still have stiching problems. Here is picture of last one:
http://csg.corded.org/LX2B2904_LX2B2951-48images.jpg

That is way much better than earlier, but there is still lot of little issues going on (door, cabinet etc.). Ceiling is worst. And also strange is, that issues are very close at same places then that earlier shooting with less pictures.

Help me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm 

See: http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm 

mediavets wrote:

Thanks for reply.

My lens is there (link)

It says:
Quote:
Recommended (full-frame): N, 6 images every 60° at -30° pitch, 6 images every 60° at +30° pitch, zenith at +90° pitch

So i have shot enough pictures for sure. My first amount of pictures (24) is same that with old setup (7D + 8mm fisheye). Why i have now so much problems? Is it possible that i have too much pictures? That sounds crazy.

At this last shooting i took 12 pictures per layer, so should i delete half of pictures and also remove my 0° pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:59 pm 

pthim wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Thanks for reply.

My lens is there (link)

It says:
Quote:
Recommended (full-frame): N, 6 images every 60° at -30° pitch, 6 images every 60° at +30° pitch, zenith at +90° pitch

So i have shot enough pictures for sure. My first amount of pictures (24) is same that with old setup (7D + 8mm fisheye). Why i have now so much problems? Is it possible that i have too much pictures? That sounds crazy.

At this last shooting i took 12 pictures per layer, so should i delete half of pictures and also remove my 0° pictures?[/quote]
Yes, you have too many pictures and you had far too many pictures with your old set up too.

The two lenses are not at all equivalent even allowing for the crop factor on your old camera; because the 8mm is a fisheye lens (with a much larger FOV than an 8mm non-fisheye lens) and the 14mm is not.

You need approx 25-30% overlap between images - more is not better and can itself cause stitch problems.

The scene you have shot is typical of a scene which can be difficult to stitch - because there's a lot of 'featureless' white wall and ceiling, and then a lot of boarded floor.

You would have less problem shootimg this with a fisheye lens rather than a non-fisheye lens because the FOV of each image would be much greater so you'd require many fewer images and hence there would be fewer seams meaning fewer chances of stitch errors.

Faced with a scene like this some advocate creating 'control points' using coloured Post-It notes stuck on walls and floors to provide features for the stitching software, and then to edit these out post stitching.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:20 am 

Quote:
Quote:

At this last shooting i took 12 pictures per layer, so should i delete half of pictures and also remove my 0° pictures?

Yes, you have too many pictures and you had far too many pictures with your old set up too.

The two lenses are not at all equivalent even allowing for the crop factor on your old camera; because the 8mm is a fisheye lens (with a much larger FOV than an 8mm non-fisheye lens) and the 14mm is not.

You need approx 25-30% overlap between images - more is not better and can itself cause stitch problems.

The scene you have shot is typical of a scene which can be difficult to stitch - because there's a lot of 'featureless' white wall and ceiling, and then a lot of boarded floor.

You would have less problem shootimg this with a fisheye lens rather than a non-fisheye lens because the FOV of each image would be much greater so you'd require many fewer images and hence there would be fewer seams meaning fewer chances of stitch errors.

Faced with a scene like this some advocate creating 'control points' using coloured Post-It notes stuck on walls and floors to provide features for the stitching software, and then to edit these out post stitching.

Thanks for tips. I deleted (or archived :)) half of pictures and stiching went better now. Actually it's good that i have double of pictures, because some of them didn't work so well, but i tried to stich with that other half and it went better. I was recommended for that 14mm lens for this kind of use.

Thanks for that Post-It tip, sounds good!

For me it didn't work so good for stiching just -30' and +30 images. It was way more better with -30', 0' and +30'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 pm 

pthim wrote:
Thanks for tips. I deleted (or archived :)) half of pictures and stitching went better now. Actually it's good that i have double of pictures, because some of them didn't work so well, but i tried to stich with that other half and it went better. I was recommended for that 14mm lens for this kind of use.

I would seriously question that advice. Wide angle rectilinear lenses are probably the least suitable for pano photography.

Quote:
For me it didn't work so good for stitching just -30' and +30 images. It was way more better with -30', 0' and +30'.

I'd say that this has more do do with that particular scene than anything else. It probably enabled APP/APG to find a few more control points automatically in this scene.