Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re-detection
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:36 am 

Is there a way to perform another detection once you have moved all of the images into the appropriate position in edit mode? I tried highlighting all of the imaged and selecting "local geometry analysis". This does what I am trying to get it to do, but I have over a hundred images in this pano, and doing that for all of them would take days.

Post subject: Re: Re-detection
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 am 

austinhart wrote:
Is there a way to perform another detection once you have moved all of the images into the appropriate position in edit mode? I tried highlighting all of the imaged and selecting "local geometry analysis". This does what I am trying to get it to do, but I have over a hundred images in this pano, and doing that for all of them would take days.

Do you have a lot of images in then pano for which APG is unable to detect control points automatically? Is that why you are moving images manually?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 pm 

Yes. I am working with over 100 images and in some cases have had to detect each row separately and then merge them into one panorama. Is there a way to find all the control points between all of the images (similar to how detection works) once I have all the rows merged into one panorama?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 pm 

austinhart wrote:
Yes. I am working with over 100 images and in some cases have had to detect each row separately and then merge them into one panorama. Is there a way to find all the control points between all of the images (similar to how detection works) once I have all the rows merged into one panorama?

Tell us - or better show us - more about this set of images.

Can we see a screenshot of the rows you talk about?

What camera and lens did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 pm 

Here is a screenshot of an area I am talking about. The Top Image is in move images mode, and the bottom is in control point mode.
As you can see, there are connection between the images horizontally, but I have been having to manually find them verticaly. Is there a tool that will automatically find the control points after detection has already been done. It seems very time consuming to go and do it to every image. I tried doing a local geometry analysis, and that works, but it takes to long to do it for every connection. Is there a tool that will rerun the detection once the images are all in the right place?

Camera:Nikon D-800
Lens: 72-200mm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 pm 

austinhart wrote:
Here is a screenshot of an area I am talking about. The Top Image is in move images mode, and the bottom is in control point mode.
As you can see, there are connection between the images horizontally, but I have been having to manually find them verticaly. Is there a tool that will automatically find the control points after detection has already been done. It seems very time consuming to go and do it to every image. I tried doing a local geometry analysis, and that works, but it takes to long to do it for every connection. Is there a tool that will rerun the detection once the images are all in the right place?

Camera:Nikon D-800
Lens: 72-200mm

I am not aware of any such tool or process.

Could you not use the CP editor in conventional mode - rather than local geometry analysis - to find CPs between images in the upper two rows?

Why do images in the lowest row shown overlap so much?

This is the sort of pano where a robotic pano head would help a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 pm 

What do you mean by conventional mode?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:32 pm 

austinhart wrote:
What do you mean by conventional mode?

See:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... cted_areas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm 

I see. Is there a way to do this between entire rows, or can you only do 2 pictures at a time?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 am 

austinhart wrote:
I see. Is there a way to do this between entire rows, or can you only do 2 pictures at a time?

Only two pictures at a time.

If you had used a supported robotic pano head that recorded shooting co-ordinates for each image then APG can use that data to place 'featureless' images in which it cannot detect control points.

The longer the focal length you choose to shoot, the smaller the FOV of each image and the more likely it is that you will have some 'featureless' images in the image set in which APG cannot detect control points.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 am 

I would like to use a robotic head, but for these games, you only get 10 or so minutes to shoot the images at these games, so we have to use a manual. What I don't understand is why APG is not able to find control points between rows during detection, but is able to do it when I use the conventional method of finding control points between two images at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 am 

austinhart wrote:
I would like to use a robotic head, but for these games, you only get 10 or so minutes to shoot the images at these games, so we have to use a manual.

Do you need to shoot at such a long focal length?
Quote:
What I don't understand is why APG is not able to find control points between rows during detection,

Did you try increasing detection quality? See screenshot below.
Quote:
but is able to do it when I use the conventional method of finding control points between two images at a time.

Probably because when you use the CP editor you are assisting the CP detection algorithm by choosing the two images.

In normal detection APG makes no assumptions about which images are adjacent to each other it looks for matching features between all and every image as far as I know.

Attachments:
1-apg308-detectionquality.jpg
1-apg308-detectionquality.jpg [ 152.59 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 am 

Thanks for working with me on this. Increasing the detection quality gave marginally better results, but doing one row at a time and then merging those rows into one panorama still looks to be the way to go. It would be nice to figure out an automated feature to find the control points between two rows of images but I'm not a developer. It looks like the best way to do it as of now is to perform local geometry analysis in small strategic groups of images. It takes a long time, but the results are much cleaner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 am 

austinhart wrote:
Thanks for working with me on this. Increasing the detection quality gave marginally better results, but doing one row at a time and then merging those rows into one panorama still looks to be the way to go. It would be nice to figure out an automated feature to find the control points between two rows of images but I'm not a developer. It looks like the best way to do it as of now is to perform local geometry analysis in small strategic groups of images. It takes a long time, but the results are much cleaner.

How much overlap do you have between rows? You need about 25-30%, more is not useful.

What camera and lens and pano head do you use?