Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Question regarding dpi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:06 pm 

Hi
how to make autopan pro generate 300dpi panorama. I know the standard software setting is 72 dpi... now when I change that to 300dpi the final file is still 72dpi. where is the catch ?
I have Autopano Pro 2.5
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 pm 

To be honest I really do not know why AP would generate a 300dpi image... If you were to change just the dpi to 72, the entire image would expand in size. 72dpi was the standard for web viewing for a long time since that was the maximum any monitor could detect. Now the standard is 96dpi but there are some very high rez monitors that can detect more... In my view there is no point in having an image greater than 96dpi and 72dpi is also fine.. I have yet to work out why AP or APG would output an image of such high dpi. 300dpi would be the minimum for print.. The term dpi is not a real term as such for an image.. Its a print term transferred over to an image. Its really a laser printer term. If you were to print an image at 72dpi, it would look fine on a monitor but terrible as a printed media. Bubble jet printers do not really print at dpi, they just interpret dpi but do a good job in doing so.. An image is really ppi "pixels per inch".. I do not think that dpi and ppi are any different but I am not entirely sure.. You will need to do a web search on that.. The reason why I assume most people use dpi, was since in the early days computer media was being prepared for print since that was what computers were first designed for by Apple. Later came the internet so more and more media was being designed for online viewing but the dpi term stuck..

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 am 

Sukienki wrote:
Hi
how to make autopan pro generate 300dpi panorama. I know the standard software setting is 72 dpi... now when I change that to 300dpi the final file is still 72dpi. where is the catch ?
I have Autopano Pro 2.5
Thank you

The 300dpi image will be much smaller - but the *amount* of pixels keeps the same.

You need 300dpi for magazin-prints/advertsing.

So use the 300dpi output when you need to print the image in a magazine. For use on the web use the 72dpi output.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 am 

Hi
Sometimes APG have some problems storing default settings.
Can be related to user privileges in Windows. Try out other settings, if they are stored well.
If not, try to install APG clean with admin privilege.
You can also set the DPI in the final render dialogue. This should then work.