How to stitch panos with blue skies in Autopano ?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
qtluong

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

How to stitch panos with blue skies in Autopano ?

by qtluong » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 am

Would someone suggest a workflow for stitching panos where some of the source images contain nothing but blue skies ? See example attached.

I've read that if you use a motorized head, then it generates shooting meta-data that can be imported into Autopano to guide the stitching. What can you do if you did not use a motorized head ? If you shot in a systematic grid with fixed angular increments in both directions, is there a way to create a similar shooting meta-data file to help Autopano ?

Thanks for any help !
Attachments
gg-grid.jpg

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: How to stitch panos with blue skies in Autopano ?

by Destiny » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 am

Hi.. I think you can make up fake xml code if you can remember your shooting pattern. I have heard of others putting markers on the corners and edges of the images.. If you load your image Photoshop, put some markers on a transparent layer and re-save each image with the markers in the exact same place which is easy to do, just keep the same marker layer... In APG you can manually point to the detection marker. I have never done it so not sure if this works.. I just read it somewhere.. After its stitched you can remove any traces of the markers in Photoshop.. Going by your sky though, you might be better off cloning it.. But the first option might be the way to go..

Destiny..

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:42 am

qtluong wrote:Would someone suggest a workflow for stitching panos where some of the source images contain nothing but blue skies ? See example attached.

I've read that if you use a motorized head, then it generates shooting meta-data that can be imported into Autopano to guide the stitching. What can you do if you did not use a motorized head ? If you shot in a systematic grid with fixed angular increments in both directions, is there a way to create a similar shooting meta-data file to help Autopano ?

Thanks for any help !

Yes, download the Papywizard software that controls the Merlin/Panogear mount and run it in simulation mode to create an XML format shooting position data file which you can then use with the Papywizard Import wizard in APP/APG:
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download

Select the latest development version for your OS.

Configure it to match your camera and lens, set the overlap %, and then define your 'virtual shoot' using the matching number of rows and columns.

Or, if you get stuck, tell me about your camera and lens and estimated overlap and I'll create the data file for you.

a a gruntpuddock

Info

by a a gruntpuddock » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 am

I go into 'move' mode and align the shots with the grid using the picture number to see where each should go.

Sounds complicated but easy when you try it.

no avatar
qtluong

Topic author
Info

by qtluong » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:13 pm

a a gruntpuddock wrote:I go into 'move' mode and align the shots with the grid using the picture number to see where each should go.

Sounds complicated but easy when you try it.

Thanks for the suggestion. This worked.

Getting the color right wasn't too intuitive. Initially the patches did not blend at all. I went to "Edit Color Anchor", verified that all patches were on "auto". "Optimize color" was greyed out. I unchecked "optimize on any anchor change", then clicked on "Optimize color", which resulted in an OK, but not perfect blend. Is there a better way to proceed ?